4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help: Paint chips

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 08:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Help: Paint chips

My front bumper is bad... about less than a year ago i hit a deer with my front bumper... got it replaced... and now.. there are spots that the paint is stripped off.. it gets worser and worser when i use a high pressure hose to wash the car.. now i am careful to was the car.. but lately.. the snow.. i had to use the high pressure hose.. and i noticed that the stripped has gotten bigger and there is more smaller other spots now.... maybe 2 big ones.. about quarter size.. and 2 others.. bout a penny size... i'm not really happy with this... can live with the 2 quarter size paint stiripped.. but not the penny.. my body kit will cover the quarter size ones pretty good.. but the penny size one are dead center of my front bumper.. it's so nasty to know it's there... any way i can fix it myself?

OPTION 1:
I heard about gettin' a coat... then go to nissan and get there paint and brush...

I don't know how to do any of this.. but would like to get some feedback on what to do..

OPTION 2:
Go to a paint shop and let them fix everything... approximately how much will it cost?

thanx for all the feedback in advance
Old 01-09-2003, 08:54 PM

well whoever painted your bumper did a bad job then or didnt prep correctly. most places give u a lifetime warranty, so u may start there. other wise to refinish a front bumper w/ out blending my guess would be about 200. make sure u get a warranty on it this time
Old 01-09-2003, 09:10 PM

I agree w/ s2cmpugh's comments. Pricing will vary by region.

www.paintscratch.com for a low-cost quick-fix touch-up,

-but refinishing & painting the whole bumper-cover is the right way to do it.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:12 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Just to let you know, the reason why the paint is doing that on your bumper is because it is under the bondo. I'm not sure if you know this already or not, but i learned about this recently when i had one of my car repainted recently. The paint guy told me that the paint will only chip and crack like that if it is under bondo... otherwise it'd never do that. Ok well back to your situation, touch it up for now... but it will get eventually w/ the weather. If you don't have warranty... sorry you have to go through this. Good luck
Old 01-10-2003, 06:41 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Help: Paint chips

Originally posted by ZeRo MaX
My front bumper is bad... about less than a year ago i hit a deer with my front bumper... got it replaced... and now.. there are spots that the paint is stripped off..
Go back to the body shop that fixed your car. Paint work is always warrantied by a lifetime "limited" warranty by law. I work part time in my brothers body shop. Within a year, the shop will refinish the part for you.

One reason your paint is coming off could be the lack of whats called a flex additive used for plastic and rubber components. Shops like to save a few $$ by not adding that to smaller jobs. Sometimes the paint stays perfect, other times it sort of flakes off. Improper prep work will cause non-adhersion paint.

Bondo is manufactured to be primed & painted. It does not cause paint to chip or flake off. Whoever told you that was just making excuses. How do you think custom cars are refinished? A technique called mudding is used on the entire surface of the car. Several layers are applied untill the car is perfectly smooth. Then it's painted. You don't see paint flaking off custom show cars now do you? A paint job like that costs around 5 grand.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Help: Paint chips

well today is friday... and i'm in school right now.. i think right after school i will have to go to the shop and see what they can do... if it is law for them to have a warranty.. i better get one.. cause they DID DO a bad job.. and i want them to fix it.... my front bumper is the only place chipping.. anywhere else is fine... so i will tell everyone how everything goes after school... thanx a lot...

Do i need any proof/reciept (anything) that said i was there?
i'm not sure where my dad put it...
Old 01-10-2003, 10:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Help: Paint chips

Originally posted by ZeRo MaX
well today is friday... and i'm in school right now.. i think right after school i will have to go to the shop and see what they can do... if it is law for them to have a warranty.. i better get one.. cause they DID DO a bad job.. and i want them to fix it.... my front bumper is the only place chipping.. anywhere else is fine... so i will tell everyone how everything goes after school... thanx a lot...

Do i need any proof/reciept (anything) that said i was there?
i'm not sure where my dad put it...
Always a good idea to have a receipt when service after the sale is involved. Dig it up.