4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

replaced cv joint, still have vibration...suggestions welcome. (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 04:41 PM
Custom User Title...

replaced cv joint, still have vibration...suggestions welcome. (kinda long)

ok...today i had my passenger side cv joint replaced. got a good deal on it and my dad paid half. anyways, turns out it wasn't torn like i thought. really worn and close to being ripped open, but not torn. so basically i spent money fixing something that wasn't yet broken. anyways, i can deal with that...it prevents me from replacing it down the line or running into a problem. (background on cv joints-- had drivers side replaced about a year ago for free! at dealership where i bought it so it was just a matter of time before the other would probably wear down anyways)

i drove home from work(had it done while i was there)and i still noticed the rumble i thought would disappear was still there. it's not always so present but is most noticeable at 78+mph. also, when i slow down like when i run into traffic, rolling at about 5mph, i feel like i'm almost bumping up and down. my steering wheel shakes when i feel this rumble at whatever speeds and pretty much everything inside the car shakes a little too.

it's not always noticeable at certain speeds, but is almost always at higher speeds and often at very very low speeds.

does anyone have any idea as to what i can do? could it be a bent rim? i'm planning on replacing them in about 1.5 months anyways so that would be ok. i just hope it's not something like tie-rods or anything major.

thank you very much for reading all my babblings and i appreciate any help or suggestions anyone can offer.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Jepth20, I dont really have any idea what your problem maybe but I had my car re-inspected today because I just bought my Max a week ago and they told me that both of my cv boot joint on both driver and passangers side were ripped/torn. I should have the dealer where i got the car from replace it. But oh well, they told me that if you dont get the problem fixed soon the axle would go bad. I dont think that this would be in your case. Just an idea though. Well i need to get that fixed soon and it will put me back $394.00 Labor is a killer. I wish i could have gotten fixed by the dealer for free. Good Luck with your car.
Old 01-10-2003, 06:11 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: replaced cv joint, still have vibration...suggestions welcome. (kinda long)

Originally posted by Jepht20
is most noticeable at 78+mph. also, when i slow down like when i run into traffic, rolling at about 5mph, i feel like i'm almost bumping up and down. my steering wheel shakes when i feel this rumble at whatever speeds and pretty much everything inside the car shakes a little too.
You either have a tire problem, bent rim or bent hub. (unlikely the hub)
Old 01-10-2003, 09:52 PM

i kinda had that problem too,with the vibration at high speeds. A couple things come to mind: wheel balance, bent rim = might not be noticeable, and when you slow down, does this vibration happen while u are pressing on the brake???if so it could be that your rotors might need to grinded flat. I looked at mine close up and notice circular ridges on the rotors. Apparently the brake pads werent pressing flush against the rotor which caused my front end to shake. Hope this may be helpful to you, and good luck! ~Frank
Old 01-11-2003, 06:00 AM

I had this hapen to me recently and wound replacing the passenger frotn axle. The boot had torn off and I got sand in there.