4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

frankencar or injen

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 09:38 AM

frankencar or injen

ive narrowed my choices for an intake down to injen and frankencar. i have an automaitc and looking for low - mid end gains. i've searched alot on this topic and just can't seem to decide. those with the injen intake, can u feel a loss in high end power? how about a loss in low end with the frankencar? i plan on gettin a budget y-pipe and apexi exhaust by the summer '03. will this complement the injen intake well by making up for the high end loss? thanks for your replies, i hope ill be able to make a decision.
Old 01-11-2003, 09:55 AM
Handsome

Re: frankencar or injen

Originally posted by msmokey3
ive narrowed my choices for an intake down to injen and frankencar. i have an automaitc and looking for low - mid end gains. i've searched alot on this topic and just can't seem to decide. those with the injen intake, can u feel a loss in high end power? how about a loss in low end with the frankencar? i plan on gettin a budget y-pipe and apexi exhaust by the summer '03. will this complement the injen intake well by making up for the high end loss? thanks for your replies, i hope ill be able to make a decision.
It really doesn't matter. I doubt anyone can really feel the difference with an intake on the butt dyno, because at the track your times won't be significant. What most people 'feel' is the louder sound of the intake which makes it 'seem' much faster. What are your goals with an intake?

Money?
Looks?
Sound?

From a performance aspect the difference in gains from these intakes is not enough to choose one over the other. If you want to make your own hybrid

Midpipe
http://www.drwebdesign.com/mymaxima/upperintake.html

Attach filter without buying a MAF adapter
http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...howpage&pid=35

I would think that a hybrid style intake would give you better gains since it's a straight pipe with no bends (both will be residing in the engine bay) But if you look at both the dyno's (done by the manufacturer,) it seems that the injen gives more consistent gains.

IMO if I were looking for performance I would either go with a CAI that drills into the fender, or a filter/ velocity stack/ midpipe, or for the best feed the later with cool air.

If your going for looks the injen IMO looks better, and you get a license plate frame
Old 01-11-2003, 11:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I have an Injen and didn't feel any loss, to be honest. Then again I don't go WOT everywhere I go.

If you want to see pics of it installed, check out my homepage. It only took about an hour and a half to install because one of the sensors didn't fit back in right.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Personally, I like the Frankencar Intake. There's not low or high end loss and you get better throttle response.
Old 01-11-2003, 08:23 PM

hows the sound of the injen compare with that of the frankencar intake. ive heard frankencar is very loud, especially on autos. i want the sound to be noticable but not annoyingly loud. Can anyone actually feel any low end loss with the frankencar? At what rpm do you feel the car start to really pull harder?
Old 01-12-2003, 08:19 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hello:

if you go to Injen's website, they have dyno plots for their intakes. They also have an audio clip of the dyno run which gives you and idea of how they sound. They make intakes for a variety of cars. Be aware that their maxima test comparison was also done with a cat-back exhaust for both OEM intake and Injen intake.

If you are looking for big sound, then the Injen seems to be quite nice and loud but not an annoying tone in my opinion. It sounds like a big engine and not like those 4-banger weedwacker sounds.

P.S. I have a $1400 dollar pair of speakers hooked up to my PC so most things sound O.K. to me. But the Honda sound clips were really lame sounding compared to the Maxima sound clip.

Now that I am getting older, I don't tend to go for those big roaring engines.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

I have an injen, and it sounds great, like a bigger engine, but not loud enough to get annoying. As far as performance goes, I never had the car dyno'd do i can't tell you any exact gains or losses, but the car moves real good. Installation was real easy, too. The only problems i had with installation was getting the sensors out of the original intake. Also, if you get an intake with a hole cut into the fender, you have to worry about the intake sucking up water easier. With the injen CAI, the filter is blocked by the splashguard, and the only time you really need to worry about water in the intake is if you park in a huge puddle, or drive in really deep water.
Old 01-12-2003, 10:47 AM
Too obsessed

Frankencar. No doubt about it. I have one, it sounds beautiful at any throttle level, and it is never annoying. It looks great too, especially when you get it in a custom color. Mine seems to pull hardest in 2nd-3rd gear (I have an automatic) and I have noticed a harder pull off the line. Before I put the intake in, and my engine was completely stock, when I floored it, it hardly ever squealed the tires. Now that I have it, when I floor it off the line, it sqeals every time for a second, and I have a GLE ;-)
Old 01-12-2003, 10:55 AM

I hate to say this, but go by which one you like the looks better. Really you wouldn't be able to tell that much of a difference. If you do a search an Injen vs. PR thread, there's so much argument between the two that you'll just get real confused afterwards. Just go with which one is more readily available to you and which one you like looking at better.

Tifosi
Old 01-12-2003, 11:04 AM
I need a truck

frankencar
Old 01-14-2003, 01:29 PM

aright i think ive decided to go with frankencar since it is cheaper, louder, and gives the same if not better results as the injen. the injen just looks so nice though. Anyways, any problems with installation or the product itself after installation that i should know about? ive heard quite a few people talking about the maf sensor thing causing the check engine light to come on. im guessing this is just a minor problem that i can handle? By the way ill probably be gettin it with the apexi filter so how do you guys think about this choice?