4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

NEED HELP....REAR O2 SENSOR NOT COMING OUT FOR NOTHING...need opinions how to get off

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 07:28 PM

NEED HELP....REAR O2 SENSOR NOT COMING OUT FOR NOTHING...need opinions how to get off

i finally got a new rear o2 sensor from the dealer after my o2 code beencoming on and off for the last 6 months,
i jacked the car and went underneth and could not take off the old o2 sensor

i tried using every tool possible in my friends garage and no matter how hard i turned it would not budge

i really dont want to take it to someone to change for something so easy to do myself

i sprayed silicone spay , wd40 and still did not loosen up

Any one have opinions on what i can do to get it off

thank in advvance for any suggestions
Old 01-12-2003, 07:44 PM

I would spray penetrating oil on it, then start the car and let it run for a few minutes to warm up - you can start the car while it's in the air - after a few minutes shut the car off and spray more oil on the O2 sensor, wait a few minutes and, while the exhaust is still somewhat hot try removing the O2 sensor. Also, they make a special tool for this and it may help you get better leverage. It looks like a regular, deep socket, only it has a groove running through it that will allow the wire to clear. Borrow one of these from a parts store the day you do this. I've been able to remove mine w/ an adjustable wrench but they came off easily. If I had trouble like you, I would get the proper tool. Make sure that when you install the new O2 sensor you apply some anti-seize on the threads. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2003, 07:56 PM
Licensed to Spell

:o)

Not coming out for nothing.

Old 01-12-2003, 08:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What I did was spray the bolt with some penetrating oil and then took a wrench and held it on the bolt and began hitting it with a hammer and it broke loose fairly easily..Hope this helps.

-Nick
Old 01-12-2003, 09:21 PM

Re: NEED HELP....REAR O2 SENSOR NOT COMING OUT FOR NOTHING...need opinions how to get

Originally posted by 95seMax

i sprayed silicone spay , wd40 and still did not loosen up

Any one have opinions on what i can do to get it off

thank in advvance for any suggestions
Try an actual penetrating fluid, like PB Blaster or S'OK; both are excellent. WD-40 and silicone spray are only lubricants, not penetrating fluids. Using penetrating fluid, don't be stingy with it, and let it soak awhile. Then spray and soak again. You can wire brush around the connection as best you can before using the penetrating fluid. Heat also helps free stuck bolts. A hammer can be used to tap (not pound) around it to free up rust. And you can always use a cheater pipe over the tool you're using to really increase your leverage. But keep in mind how hard it'll be getting it out if you snap it. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Dave
Old 01-12-2003, 10:36 PM
rmb

There's no bolt known to man that won't budge with enough applications of Penetrating spray (like Liquid Wrench, NOT WD-40) + A really hot torch + a cheater bar. Soak it, tap it with a hammer for 1 minute. Soak it. Tap. Repeat for 10 minutes. Let it sit overnight. Soak & tap. Now try wrenching it with the proper O2 sensor socket. Still no? Burn it. Either oxy-acet or even good MAP gas torch with a swirl tip. (about $40 at home despot)Once it's cooked wrench it.

It'll go.

-RMB
Old 01-12-2003, 11:36 PM

This might be redundant, but make sure you are using an O2 sensor socket to remove it. Gives you more leverage using a socket than an adjustable wrench! The O2 sensor socket is a 14mm socket with a groove lengthwise for the wire.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:50 PM
GoldenGlory

Re: NEED HELP....REAR O2 SENSOR NOT COMING OUT FOR NOTHING...need opinions how to get off

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 95seMax
[B]

yo kid ..where u been ?

long time no speak !

Old 01-13-2003, 06:07 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Buy and o2 sensor socket and a big braker bar.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: NEED HELP....REAR O2 SENSOR NOT COMING OUT FOR NOTHING...need opinions how to

Originally posted by Dave Holmes

Try an actual penetrating fluid, like PB Blaster or S'OK; both are excellent. WD-40 and silicone spray are only lubricants, not penetrating fluids. Using penetrating fluid, don't be stingy with it, and let it soak awhile. Then spray and soak again.

Dave
I just replaced my two front O2 sensors and had this same problem. I gave them a good soaking of this stuff called Aerokroil , waited a few minutes, and then they came off realllly easy. Check it out.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:34 PM

Re: Re: NEED HELP....REAR O2 SENSOR NOT COMING OUT FOR NOTHING...need opinions how to get off

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GoldenGlory
[B]

yo kid ..where u been ?

long time no speak !

how you doing Will, i have been busy with work and school , how have you been, still going to meets?

thanks guys for all the info, i will have to make some time to try your suggestions, im going to get the 02 sensor socket and the spray and keep you guys updated

thanks once again to everyone
Old 01-13-2003, 11:09 PM
GoldenGlory

Re: Re: Re: NEED HELP....REAR O2 SENSOR NOT COMING OUT FOR NOTHING...need opinions how to get off

how you doing Will, i have been busy with work and school , how have you been, still going to meets?

thanks guys for all the info, i will have to make some time to try your suggestions, im going to get the 02 sensor socket and the spray and keep you guys updated

thanks once again to everyone
yo man hit me up..since u live in the hood i neva see u

still selling the leather?