4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Fog Light Stalk question (not the same old questions)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 08:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Fog Light Stalk question (not the same old questions)

Yes, I searched!

Wiring Experts...I'm adding fog lights to a 99 GXE w/S&C package (so I have the OEM wiring already). I'm trying to save $$ and not buy a new OEM fog light kit. I found usedOEM fogs and the mounts for a good price. The stalk (to turn them on), and the relay aren't included in the deal. Here's my question.

I don't think I can use my current stalk (no fog light on/off switch on it). I believe the power on the fog light harness is fed by the "on" switch at the stalk (which I don't have). So I'm trying to figure out easiest ways to wire OEM fogs using as much of the OEM set-up as I can, considering I don't have the stalk (I don't want to stick a switch under my dash to turn them on if I don't have to.) Or do I just need to do all the wiring (power, ground, relay, etc.) from scratch?

Any suggestions?
Old 01-13-2003, 10:11 AM
Ramius83

Re: Fog Light Stalk question (not the same old questions)

Originally posted by maxhead
Yes, I searched!

Wiring Experts...I'm adding fog lights to a 99 GXE w/S&C package (so I have the OEM wiring already). I'm trying to save $$ and not buy a new OEM fog light kit. I found usedOEM fogs and the mounts for a good price. The stalk (to turn them on), and the relay aren't included in the deal. Here's my question.

I don't think I can use my current stalk (no fog light on/off switch on it). I believe the power on the fog light harness is fed by the "on" switch at the stalk (which I don't have). So I'm trying to figure out easiest ways to wire OEM fogs using as much of the OEM set-up as I can, considering I don't have the stalk (I don't want to stick a switch under my dash to turn them on if I don't have to.) Or do I just need to do all the wiring (power, ground, relay, etc.) from scratch?

Any suggestions?
Basically, in order to use the stock wiring, you still need a relay in the relay box. It is cheap and you can get it at any Autoparts place. As for the stalk itself, the only way to do it is to a)Get and OEM stalk at a junkyard for cheap or b)wire your own switch. What other options are you referring to other than these?

Old 01-13-2003, 10:22 AM

i wired my fogs with a wiring kit from pilot, it has a push-button on and off switch, it doesn't look that out ofplace on my dash either.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by 95maxima
i wired my fogs with a wiring kit from pilot, it has a push-button on and off switch, it doesn't look that out ofplace on my dash either.
Where is it mounted on your dash? Is it in the space next to the dash light adjustment?
Old 01-13-2003, 09:14 PM

yep, right next to the dimmer switch on the right-hand side of the steering wheel.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by 95maxima
yep, right next to the dimmer switch on the right-hand side of the steering wheel.
Cool. Where can I get one? Did you order it online or just from the local auto parts store? Is there a part # or is it pretty generic?
Old 01-14-2003, 02:15 PM

my brother bought for me (my B-day present) but i think you can get it at any autoparts store, he got mine at autozone.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:49 PM
I aim to misbehave.

It's really easy to add a switch using all of the stock wiring. All you need to do is splice into the wires that would normally be plugged into the foglight stalk. Just get yourself a switch and a few feet of wire, take off the steering column cover (top & bottom) and use T connectors to run the appropriate wires to your switch (I think it's the one with a brown connector at the end, but I don't remember). Sorry for the vague description but I'm in a big hurry at the moment. It's really easy to do and will cost you a few dollars at most.

Good Luck,

Doug
Old 01-14-2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Speebs
It's really easy to add a switch using all of the stock wiring. All you need to do is splice into the wires that would normally be plugged into the foglight stalk. Just get yourself a switch and a few feet of wire, take off the steering column cover (top & bottom) and use T connectors to run the appropriate wires to your switch (I think it's the one with a brown connector at the end, but I don't remember). Sorry for the vague description but I'm in a big hurry at the moment. It's really easy to do and will cost you a few dollars at most.

Good Luck,

Doug
Thanks Speebs and 95maxima, that's just what I was looking for. I figured it should be an easy way to use OEM wiring [b]AND[/b} make it look like it belongs on the dash.

I might actually be getting a stalk. I'll find out soon. If not, this set-up will be in by the weekend. Thanks again.