4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Locking Calipers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 05:53 AM

Locking Calipers?

All,

I have been experiencing a loss in fuel mpg since the install of my stock box.. unusual yes, but none the less

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=181123

Anyway I have been noticing that my rear wheels are getting dirtier than my fronts are (a.k.a. more brake dust). It's not a whole lot more and I just washed n waxed the car this past Saturday so I don't have enough miles yet to determine, but it does look as if my rear wheels are dirtier than the fronts.

I have had emergency brake caliper freezes before, so I'm hoping this is not the case again. Nissan replaced a faulty one, and then I took it in again for them to regrease w/ antisieze.

In your honest opinions, do you think my calipers are freezing again in the rear? I use the emergency brake every time I park the car, since I am a manual.? ? ?

-funny
Old 01-14-2003, 06:14 AM

Re: Locking Calipers?

Originally posted by funnylittlman
All,

I have been experiencing a loss in fuel mpg since the install of my stock box.. unusual yes, but none the less

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=181123

Anyway I have been noticing that my rear wheels are getting dirtier than my fronts are (a.k.a. more brake dust). It's not a whole lot more and I just washed n waxed the car this past Saturday so I don't have enough miles yet to determine, but it does look as if my rear wheels are dirtier than the fronts.

I have had emergency brake caliper freezes before, so I'm hoping this is not the case again. Nissan replaced a faulty one, and then I took it in again for them to regrease w/ antisieze.

In your honest opinions, do you think my calipers are freezing again in the rear? I use the emergency brake every time I park the car, since I am a manual.? ? ?

-funny
^ Bump c'mon guys
Old 01-14-2003, 06:16 AM
Administrator

whats wierd is.. when i wake up every morning... and i start drving.. if i get off the gas .. the car slows down .. i am wondering if my rear calipers are freezing also... tonight i am going to park gear and see if that makes a difference.. alwso when i got to the gas station this morning.. i smelt something burning
Old 01-14-2003, 06:18 AM

Originally posted by SprintMax
whats wierd is.. when i wake up every morning... and i start drving.. if i get off the gas .. the car slows down .. i am wondering if my rear calipers are freezing also... tonight i am going to park gear and see if that makes a difference.. alwso when i got to the gas station this morning.. i smelt something burning
S P R I N T!!!!

I don't have a park gear dummy.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:20 AM
Shiver me timbers.

I am sorry Sprint, but you smelt something burning?

Old 01-14-2003, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by maxfanfromohio
I am sorry Sprint, but you smelt something burning?

yeah.. burning smell
Old 01-14-2003, 06:33 AM
Administrator

S P R I N T!!!!
I don't have a park gear dummy.
i meant "park in gear"
Old 01-14-2003, 06:36 AM

I have been thinking the same thing about my car, so this weekend I'm going to take a good look at everything and bleed my brakelines.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:51 AM

i meant "park in gear"
My bad!

The same thing happened to me, but minus the burning. I do notice on slight inclines w/ the brake released, the car doesn't roll. This was a sign in my earlier cars, as well as the dirtier than front (on the 1st day of washing) that my calipers were freezing and needed either more antiseize or a rebuild.

NJMAXSELTD, any ideas?
Old 01-14-2003, 06:58 AM
Administrator

My bad!

The same thing happened to me, but minus the burning. I do notice on slight inclines w/ the brake released, the car doesn't roll. This was a sign in my earlier cars, as well as the dirtier than front (on the 1st day of washing) that my calipers were freezing and needed either more antiseize or a rebuild.

NJMAXSELTD, any ideas?
yeah.. i started going up an incline and it was like the rear wheels were dragging in the "sand" <-- from the snow n stuff.. well here is the thing.. it did it the morning before.. and by the time i drove to the train station (20 mins) i had no smell.. but this morning i had to go to the gas station first (3 mins) and i had the smell.. however by the time i got the train station it had went awaay.. so it probably would have smelled 2 days ago if i had gotten out hte car.. but i am going to try parking in gear tonite.. see if its my e brake that fudging up.. or maybe my calipers are just fudge

i did also pump my brakes at a stop sign and the "stopping" went away.. so after this test.. next i am going to try pumping my brakes before i leave in the morning
Old 01-14-2003, 07:16 AM

yeah.. i started going up an incline and it was like the rear wheels were dragging in the "sand" <-- from the snow n stuff.. well here is the thing.. it did it the morning before.. and by the time i drove to the train station (20 mins) i had no smell.. but this morning i had to go to the gas station first (3 mins) and i had the smell.. however by the time i got the train station it had went awaay.. so it probably would have smelled 2 days ago if i had gotten out hte car.. but i am going to try parking in gear tonite.. see if its my e brake that fudging up.. or maybe my calipers are just fudge
i did also pump my brakes at a stop sign and the "stopping" went away.. so after this test.. next i am going to try pumping my brakes before i leave in the morning
An old school version my dad tried to do was to spray some silicon lubricant on the actualy caliper spring. After wetting that down, we tapped on the actual caliper w/ the ebrake off and it went "pop" on my old 93 Probe GT. I was getting the tarnished rear rims then as well. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:41 AM
Administrator

parked in gear last night without the ebrake.. everything was ok.. no freezing calipers
Old 01-15-2003, 05:57 AM

parked in gear last night without the ebrake.. everything was ok.. no freezing calipers
That's good. Mine seem to be fine too All is well, but I'm keeping my eye out on them
Old 01-19-2003, 06:06 PM

just wondering if any of you found out what cause the e-brake to not release cause my max is doing the same thing.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:50 PM

I have also experienced this problem a few times. It only happens when I engauge my E-Brake. My car feels sluggish and when I release the brakes it slows down faster then usual. When I get out of the car I can smell some type of burning. When I dont use my e-brake its fine.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:34 PM

mine e-brake started to not release about 2 weeks ago, after it sat in the dealer's lot for a month waiting for the coils. the dealer told me it may be the moisture and the cold temp. but i had the car for four years and nothing like this has ever happened before. maybe nissan owe us a recall cause locking e-brake and the burning smell caused by the brake pads rubbing the rotor might be a safety issue.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:40 PM

Mine never did this in the warm weather, so it must be something with the cold weather.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by wuman
just wondering if any of you found out what cause the e-brake to not release cause my max is doing the same thing.
SOmetimes the anti seize stuff they put on the calipers wears off, or the caliper just plain freezes. That's what causes the ebrake not to release.

Also I hear if you don't use it on a day to day basis, and then use it, it will cause lockage.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:02 AM
Administrator

i think its totally temp related.. however mine only started doing this .. this winter