4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need help with starter and selenoid, quick!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

need help with starter and selenoid, quick!

Ok. so I am trying to fix my starter noise because now I have serious doubts about the car starting when I need to leave to work and from work. But I got the two bolts off, working on that black wire but that thing dont move. Now, I believe this piece I am trying to move is the starter celenoid, because its not actually connected to the engine block. its wrapped in this metal which is holding it on to the starter....but it doesnt move! I looked at motorvate and it tells how to clean it and take it off but mine isnt moving. have I missed something else besides the two bolts and the black wire to take off the celenoid? quick response is DEFINATELY appreciated. -Ross
Old 01-21-2003, 02:52 PM

Re: need help with starter and selenoid, quick!

Originally posted by rguida
Ok. so I am trying to fix my starter noise because now I have serious doubts about the car starting when I need to leave to work and from work. But I got the two bolts off, working on that black wire but that thing dont move. Now, I believe this piece I am trying to move is the starter celenoid, because its not actually connected to the engine block. its wrapped in this metal which is holding it on to the starter....but it doesnt move! I looked at motorvate and it tells how to clean it and take it off but mine isnt moving. have I missed something else besides the two bolts and the black wire to take off the celenoid? quick response is DEFINATELY appreciated. -Ross
You need to remove the two bolts that hold the starter to the tranmission bellhousing and disconnect the wires that come from the car to the solenoid. Don't worry about the ones that go from the solenoid to the starter. You should know be able to remove the assembly from the car. Once it's out, there are two screws that hold the solenoid to the starter case and two bolts that hold the motor onto the gearset. Once those are removed, CAREFULLY start to seperate things. You'll see why when you get into it, as it needs to be re-assembled exactly the way it came apart. Good luck.