4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help! Herbie Love Bug Syndrome !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 06:36 AM
Grand Nagus Zek

Help! Herbie Love Bug Syndrome !!

We have all seen the Love Bug right ? The little doodle bug that has a mind of its on...! Well thats a comical way to look at it. But I have a question that requires someone over a newbie status to answer. I wanted a bit more knowledge about the subject before I ran my MAX over by the Nissan shop.

Lets say im driving through town. Everything is fine.. I take a few turns here, and there and in the distance I see a red light. So I begin to shift down a bit or push in the clutch to prepare to stop. (5 Speed Manual Tranny) When all of a sudden the car dies, my power steering is out...and there I go out of control fighting for control of the car. Now it makes me think of the love bug ..but this has got to end.
CLUES:
Service Engine Light is on: The yellow looking one
Idle: Is a bit off, will drop real low at times, pop back up a bit, but has actually bottomed out.

In which I have to crank her back up, the light flips up to green, and im GONE WITH THE WIND ! Besides this Herbie Love BUG issue, the car is PERFECTION..

What the heck is going on? I must regain control !
1997 Nissan Maxima SE
5 Speed Manual
JWT Pop Charger

Old 01-24-2003, 06:49 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Pull your ECU codes before you go to the dealer
Old 01-24-2003, 11:52 PM
I aim to misbehave.

Re: Help! Herbie Love Bug Syndrome !!

Originally posted by Grand Nagus Zek
We have all seen the Love Bug right ? The little doodle bug that has a mind of its on...! Well thats a comical way to look at it. But I have a question that requires someone over a newbie status to answer. I wanted a bit more knowledge about the subject before I ran my MAX over by the Nissan shop.

Lets say im driving through town. Everything is fine.. I take a few turns here, and there and in the distance I see a red light. So I begin to shift down a bit or push in the clutch to prepare to stop. (5 Speed Manual Tranny) When all of a sudden the car dies, my power steering is out...and there I go out of control fighting for control of the car. Now it makes me think of the love bug ..but this has got to end.
CLUES:
Service Engine Light is on: The yellow looking one
Idle: Is a bit off, will drop real low at times, pop back up a bit, but has actually bottomed out.

In which I have to crank her back up, the light flips up to green, and im GONE WITH THE WIND ! Besides this Herbie Love BUG issue, the car is PERFECTION..

What the heck is going on? I must regain control !
1997 Nissan Maxima SE
5 Speed Manual
JWT Pop Charger

I had a very similar problem over the summer on my 95 auto. It would idle really low and stall at lights.. had a hell of a time just driving it to the dealer to get it fixed (the people behind me were NOT happy). Ended up being a problem with the Auxiliary Intake Air Control Valve. I don't remember which diagnostic code it threw, but it was either for the Air Intake Control Valve (not sure if there's even a code for that) or the Air Intake Temperature Sensor. It wasn't terribly expensive to fix, maybe $150 for parts/labor?