4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission oil leak stopped ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 12:53 PM

Transmission oil leak stopped ??

Ok guys,

You probably read a few of the threads that I had posted in the last couple of days about a transmission oil leak around my driver’s side wheel, right?

Well, yesterday before school I had checked my transmission oil level, for the first time since I got the car. I know that this is a very stupid thing to do, but I have only been putting on about 2,000 miles a year (even stupider reason). However, thank god that it wasn't that low, since I checked the fluid both cold and hot, and both of the times it was right under the first notch on the dipstick. After that, I knew then that it was an accurate reading, because I did exactly what the manual said.

For those of you who are not sure, you first get the engine warmed to operating temperature, set the parking brake, and then put the transmission in all the gear ranges for a couple of seconds. Then you check it on the cold side, and it has to be between the first and second notch. Then you should do it again after driving for at least 5 minutes, and this time checking on the hot side. Again it has to be between the first and second notch.

Anyway, today I had looked on my garage floor, and to my surprise no transmission fluid was found. So I don't know anymore what the hell is going on. Maybe my car is fooling me, or perhaps that was just a sign to add fluid. But a sign like that is still kind of unlikely for me to believe.

Also what is important to note, is that the Maxima is a lot more quicker now, and that the rough shifting points and the whining sounds had all gone away. Well, the shifting wasn't as rough as you would imagine, but it is extremely smooth right now, and very quick. I just hope that I had not taken too much life out of my transmission.

However I still will be checking the fluid everyday now, and making sure nothing is leaking.

I have a 1998 automatic SE
Old 01-25-2003, 01:19 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

damn your car prob sounds SO MUCH like mine.... one day i had a steady stream of drips... then the next it stopped after that... and now (a couple months later) drips every now and then. I dunno wattup w/ this. The difference between me and you tho is that you're an auto and i'm manual! i hate trannys!
Old 01-25-2003, 01:36 PM

Nadir,

Thanks tho for the suggestion to add fluid. If it wasn't for you, I proably even wouldn't do it and check it. Appreciate the help.

Maybe it's the damn cold weather here in Illinois that is doing this. That's cause it is a lot warmer now than it was last week. Last week they said that it was the coldest in over 15 years. Maybe the rubber seals couldn't take it.

Anyway, I got a few pictures of the tranny fluid leaking, and don't know if there is a space on this site you can upload them. I don't have a link, and they are on my A:\ drive. I want to show you guys, so that you can tell me what it is. If not, e-mail me at peter42685@hotmail.com and I will send them. Thanks
Old 01-26-2003, 10:09 AM

Lucky you!

I have a 96 SE 5sp w/ 125K that was leaking and I didn't really notice it until it was too late...Now I am looking at replacing the bearings with I have been told is a $1000-$1500 job...OUCH!

I can't complain too much...I have never had any work done on this car excepts brakes all around at 122k...just keep the oil changed...and oh yea, mix in a tranny fuild check now and then!

Anybody know someone in Raleigh/Durham area of NC that can work on this thing for me?