4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Apex'i S-AFC With JWT ECU??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 08:04 AM

Apex'i S-AFC With JWT ECU??

Hi,

I just purchased an Apex'i S-AFC. I am also planning on getting a JWT ECU for my 96 max. I just really wan't to know if the ECU and the S-AFC will work together. I don't wan't to dyno tune the car and then have the ECU turn back the settings that will be on the S-AFC. Maybe I am just wording this wrong but I really hoope someone knows what I am trying to get at.

My engine Mods are:
MEVI
UDP
Y-pipe, cat back
Cold air.

Thanks a lot!!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The SAFC only works when the ECU is in open loop or whatever it is when it doesnt know what to do. That way the ECU will be better and then the higher throttle level will be adjustable with the SAFC. As for difference in gains you could only find out by tuning.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
The SAFC only works when the ECU is in open loop or whatever it is when it doesnt know what to do. That way the ECU will be better and then the higher throttle level will be adjustable with the SAFC. As for difference in gains you could only find out by tuning.
I do plan on dyno tuning it. So do you think they will work together? So one will not cancel out the other.. if you know what I mean.
Thanks
Old 01-27-2003, 10:01 AM

Well one of the main reasons for getting the JWT is that it raises redline so either way you should get both. As for cancelling each other out, i dont think so. The JWT just changes your afr curves and then on top of that you could make high throttle adjustments with the SAFC.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
Well one of the main reasons for getting the JWT is that it raises redline so either way you should get both. As for cancelling each other out, i dont think so. The JWT just changes your afr curves and then on top of that you could make high throttle adjustments with the SAFC.
Thanks!! That is exactly what I am talking about. I talked to JWT about the use of an s-afc with their ECU program and they said it is not a good idea... and something about welding a bung in my y-pipe so the people at the dyno shop can get accurate readings from some sensor that needs to be in place Anybody know what the hell they are talking about?
Old 01-27-2003, 10:50 AM

JWT's gonna put do what with a pipe and bung?
Old 01-27-2003, 11:10 AM
SLOW

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
JWT's gonna put do what with a pipe and bung?
lol
Old 01-27-2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

lol
Yeah I know. Thats what I said on the phone and the guy said.. " when you go for a dyno they will know what you are talking about." He said this is the way to do it instead of putting the sensor in your muffler to measure the A/F ratio.

So does anyone think that these two mods would be even more beneficial when combined rather than one or the other.
Thanks again.. this part of modding is all new to me.
Old 01-27-2003, 11:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

What do you expect the SAFC to accomplish over what the JWT ecu will do? I think you stand a better chance at losing hp by fiddling w/ the SAFC but that's my opinion. There might be some hp to be gained MAYBE but I bet it will take alot of dyno time to find it(ie.. $$$)
Old 01-27-2003, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
What do you expect the SAFC to accomplish over what the JWT ecu will do? I think you stand a better chance at losing hp by fiddling w/ the SAFC but that's my opinion. There might be some hp to be gained MAYBE but I bet it will take alot of dyno time to find it(ie.. $$$)
Well I thought that JWT was not very aggressvie with their ECU programs. So my thought was to try to tune it even further with the S-AFC. Do you really think I can lose power with the S-AFC?
Thanks a lot!
Old 01-27-2003, 01:32 PM
I'm needing a caw

The JWT program changes the a/f, raises the rev limiter and alters the TIMING. I think where the JWT ecu is conserative is in the TIMING. The SAFC doesn't allow you to alter the timing. If the JWT unit is very rich in their a/f settings, you might gain something but I doubt it's very far off(if any)

Originally posted by JustMaxin96
Well I thought that JWT was not very aggressvie with their ECU programs. So my thought was to try to tune it even further with the S-AFC. Do you really think I can lose power with the S-AFC?
Thanks a lot!
Old 01-27-2003, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
The JWT program changes the a/f, raises the rev limiter and alters the TIMING. I think where the JWT ecu is conserative is in the TIMING. The SAFC doesn't allow you to alter the timing. If the JWT unit is very rich in their a/f settings, you might gain something but I doubt it's very far off(if any)

So this unit will do nothing for me? I was hoping that with the MEVI & JWT ECU I could lean out the upper RPM's and maybe pick up another 5-10 whp... maybe this is just wishful thinking.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:11 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by JustMaxin96

So this unit will do nothing for me? I was hoping that with the MEVI & JWT ECU I could lean out the upper RPM's and maybe pick up another 5-10 whp... maybe this is just wishful thinking.
Try it and find out I guess. If you don't gain anything, sell it on ebay.
Old 01-28-2003, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187

Try it and find out I guess. If you don't gain anything, sell it on ebay.
Yeah I just may do that.. but I mean it has to do something!! Oh Nealoc by the way when you hit 5k in each gear does your Harlan indicator light light up red?
Thanks,

Jason
Old 10-11-2005, 01:55 PM

sorry for bringing up an old thread, but i tried searching and am looking for an answer to JustMaxin's original question. Any NA guys running a JWT and a AFC?

I'm also not sure about when the JWT A/F map is in effect, is it only WOT? or partial throttle as well? If it's only WOT, then I would think that the AFC would be good to adjust partial throttle A/F ratios. Any knowledgeble guys here have some answers? thanks.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:23 PM

When I got my '00 VI up and running I took it to the dyno to tune my VAFCII. The dyno guy messed with it for an hour, losing a little HP each time. I gave him a run down of my mods and when I mentioned the JWT ECU, he thought tht might be causing some issues. He'd tried to tune another car with a JWT ECU and it acted just like mine did. Everytime he'd adjust the fuel a little leaner at one point, it make it rich somewhere else. He worked on it for an extra 45 min (for free) because it was frustrating him. Don't know if anyone else has encountered this, but that was my experience.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:45 PM

I replied to this same question in the all-motor forum. I have the JWT SC program and an SAFC, and I was not able to get better power using the SAFC when I dynoed recently. A timing issue, I believe.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by BSwithTF
When I got my '00 VI up and running I took it to the dyno to tune my VAFCII. The dyno guy messed with it for an hour, losing a little HP each time. I gave him a run down of my mods and when I mentioned the JWT ECU, he thought tht might be causing some issues. He'd tried to tune another car with a JWT ECU and it acted just like mine did. Everytime he'd adjust the fuel a little leaner at one point, it make it rich somewhere else. He worked on it for an extra 45 min (for free) because it was frustrating him. Don't know if anyone else has encountered this, but that was my experience.
hey bswithtf and other guys-

So i asked a similar question in another thread this is what nismology said:
"From what i've read, you can use the S-AFC with an aftermarket ECU that has static maps during open loop. The JWT doesn't but the TS does."
i dont' know what static maps are, but i guess why your jwt ecu acted the way it did has to do w/ the maps jwt uses. i guess TS ecu's could be an option although i think ones with increased rev limiters are hard to find for us 4th gens (and i don't think they even offer them for 5spd guys, but not completely sure).
Old 10-21-2005, 01:36 PM

I don't know how aggresive jwt is with there ecu's but mine seems pretty aggresive. Maybe cause of High evlevation maybe cause of only 91 octane here but I get detonation on a daily basis. And a car's most powerful right befor detonation. I'm very happy with mine.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Made in Taiwan

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
lol

dude, hahahaha, lmao....(stomache hurts, and thump!!)
Old 10-23-2005, 06:45 PM

so did we come to the conclusion that an AFC is pretty much a waste of money with a JWT ecu?
Old 10-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

My AFR's with my JWT NA tune and my boosted tune were both fine. Timing is the issue and an SAFC is not a timing controll device.

Although making changes with an SAFC can change timing indirectly. Taking out fuel will advance timing to some degree. But it would take data logging and some dyno time to know if your making more power.