4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Obx Catback Just Came In!!!! *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Sports Button FTW

Obx Catback Just Came In!!!! *pics*

not installed yet, plan to do that later today, but its shiney, its everything i expected, even comes with gaskets, well 1...february 10th....ha, april fools, dam, i wish more people would do that, say its coming today and it comes 3 days ago ;0.

Old 02-04-2003, 08:46 AM
Sports Button FTW

Old 02-04-2003, 08:47 AM
Sports Button FTW

i'll update with pics of it on my car later
Old 02-04-2003, 08:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice and shiney, tell us if the butt dyno see's a diffrence.

OT: Your computer looks like mine, hard drives hanging out and stuff.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:06 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by 1FSTMAX
Nice and shiney, tell us if the butt dyno see's a diffrence.

OT: Your computer looks like mine, hard drives hanging out and stuff.
LMAO!!!!! hahahah, yea, when i got my new hard drive, i just installed it real quick, was too lazy to put it in the chamber....built it myself
Old 02-04-2003, 09:17 AM

Looks good. Looks almost like my Greddy a lil too. Wonder how it sound though
Old 02-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Looks pretty loud. I thought you wanted quiet?

Dave
Old 02-04-2003, 09:27 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Dave B
Looks pretty loud. I thought you wanted quiet?

Dave
i do want quiet but i also want my low end back!

someone on org has greddy wit y-pipe and i heard it and its pretty quiet. This is exactly like greddy except smaller tip...i dont think its going to be crazy loud...arrafio and 97GLE have this and they say its pretty quiet...has two resonators....
Old 02-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Langley AFB Sux

Originally posted by meccanoble

i do want quiet but i also want my low end back!

someone on org has greddy wit y-pipe and i heard it and its pretty quiet. This is exactly like greddy except smaller tip...i dont think its going to be crazy loud...arrafio and 97GLE have this and they say its pretty quiet...has two resonators....
Ummm Greddy with a y pipe is not quiet.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
Looks pretty loud.

Dave

whats the diameter of the piping?
Old 02-04-2003, 09:39 AM

i'm behind on this obx business. too many pages on the other GD thread to read. whats the b pipe diameter? and the final $ you did the deal for? do they sell the B alone?
thanks
Old 02-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Aaron95SE

well its a lot more quiet than my custom catback
Old 02-04-2003, 09:45 AM

well its a lot more quiet than my custom catback
When did you order it?
Old 02-04-2003, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by sil SE
i'm behind on this obx business. too many pages on the other GD thread to read. whats the b pipe diameter? and the final $ you did the deal for? do they sell the B alone?
thanks
2.5 inch, $258.38,or $268.38 depending on when you order, not sure on if they just sell the b-pipe alone, I would most likely say no....
Old 02-04-2003, 11:25 AM

thanks-
is this system SS?
on the obx site, theres three different styles (i guess just different mufflers) which one is that?

Originally posted by Victim64

2.5 inch, $258.38,or $268.38 depending on when you order, not sure on if they just sell the b-pipe alone, I would most likely say no....
Old 02-04-2003, 01:22 PM

I mailed my money order in for 259 on Jan 27 or 28, dont remember..I got an email saying he got it, and will be shipped out by next week...its cool, Im not in a rush....hey meccanoble, was it shipped in a box, or just with the FedX wrap on it?
Old 02-04-2003, 01:47 PM
Sports Button FTW

NEWS NEWS NEWS!!!!

ok guys, first off, i dont remember when i paid but it was on a sunday, that sunday when people started paying

i have it installed, and i got some good news and bad news....

GOOD NEWS

The sound is awesome, OMFG, i have never been so happy about my exhaust, its not loud at all, remotely quiet, i have warpspeed y-pipe, ever since i put that y-pipe on, whenever i fully revved up to like 4 rpm, with my best system, it would sound great and when coming back down make a tiny raspy sound or like a spark sound...now, ALL bass, no nasty sounds, i am 150% happy with the sound...even at start up, its so much more quiet than my 2k1 muffler and custom b-pipe....i also feel some gains, less choking but that could be in my head, gotta test it out more....

BAD NEWS

The f*cking catback isnt lined up correctly! just like 97GLE, my sh*t was crooked! First i got it hooked up and the tip was perfectly flushed with the bumper, i mean flat, so beautiful, but the b-pipe was hanging! it was like completely the opposite way, instead of being pushed into the car, it was pushed out....it was definitely for a 97+ because the o2 sensor plugged into the b-pipe...but he had to heat up some of the metal and twist a little and pull to get it to fit right...now, my tip is a little more down than before and its not perfectly flushed wit the bumper like it was before, its not BAD looking, just not PERFECT like it was before...maybe they didnt install hangers correctly (OBX that is) or something i dont know, i'm happy with it, and i would recommend it even if you had to make the changes i did, definitely worth the price and even if a greddy was a perfect install, 200+ dollars doesnt justify the easier install....

and yes, it is stainless steal, it came in two pieces, muffler came in a big brown box and the b-pipe came in some super bubble wrap with fedex bubble wrap surrounding it....

i was one of the first to order mine, i got no notification that it was coming in but the feeling i got waking up to hear my mom say, "you got a package" done made my day, i skipped class, i went straight for the install ...any other questions?

i'll take pics soon too...
Old 02-04-2003, 02:04 PM

Re: NEWS NEWS NEWS!!!!

ok guys, first off, i dont remember when i paid but it was on a sunday, that sunday when people started paying

i have it installed, and i got some good news and bad news....

GOOD NEWS

The sound is awesome, OMFG, i have never been so happy about my exhaust, its not loud at all, remotely quiet, i have warpspeed y-pipe, ever since i put that y-pipe on, whenever i fully revved up to like 4 rpm, with my best system, it would sound great and when coming back down make a tiny raspy sound or like a spark sound...now, ALL bass, no nasty sounds, i am 150% happy with the sound...even at start up, its so much more quiet than my 2k1 muffler and custom b-pipe....i also feel some gains, less choking but that could be in my head, gotta test it out more....

BAD NEWS

The f*cking catback isnt lined up correctly! just like 97GLE, my sh*t was crooked! First i got it hooked up and the tip was perfectly flushed with the bumper, i mean flat, so beautiful, but the b-pipe was hanging! it was like completely the opposite way, instead of being pushed into the car, it was pushed out....it was definitely for a 97+ because the o2 sensor plugged into the b-pipe...but he had to heat up some of the metal and twist a little and pull to get it to fit right...now, my tip is a little more down than before and its not perfectly flushed wit the bumper like it was before, its not BAD looking, just not PERFECT like it was before...maybe they didnt install hangers correctly (OBX that is) or something i dont know, i'm happy with it, and i would recommend it even if you had to make the changes i did, definitely worth the price and even if a greddy was a perfect install, 200+ dollars doesnt justify the easier install....

When I had mine installed, the tip was SLIGHTLY off center, so I had the guy put a strong tie on the right side hanger, that pulled the tip perfectly into the middle of the cutout.
Yesterday, I used some 3" metal hose clamps with the screw on them and put them around the rubber hangers, and then tightened them to pull the tip up closer to the bumper. Now the tip is 1/4" from the bumper, looks perfect.
I dont think its a bad design, I just think the hangers on the muffler might be a hair off from where they should be.
I dont know why yours would be so off center, mine was barely off and is now perfect.

I really do like this cat-back a whole lot.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:35 PM

Re: Re: NEWS NEWS NEWS!!!!

Originally posted by araffio

When I had mine installed, the tip was SLIGHTLY off center, so I had the guy put a strong tie on the right side hanger, that pulled the tip perfectly into the middle of the cutout.
Yesterday, I used some 3" metal hose clamps with the screw on them and put them around the rubber hangers, and then tightened them to pull the tip up closer to the bumper. Now the tip is 1/4" from the bumper, looks perfect.
I dont think its a bad design, I just think the hangers on the muffler might be a hair off from where they should be.
I dont know why yours would be so off center, mine was barely off and is now perfect.

I really do like this cat-back a whole lot.
araffio & meccanoble
e-mail me a phone # so i can call you.

i got my exhaust fixed and i even got the tip to stick out more.
Old 02-04-2003, 03:43 PM
Sin

Any idea when the supplier will get the rest of them? When I asked him for info on sending him payment, he told me not to, because he did not confirm stock yet.

Have the rest of them arrived yet?
Old 02-04-2003, 04:03 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Sin
Any idea when the supplier will get the rest of them? When I asked him for info on sending him payment, he told me not to, because he did not confirm stock yet.

Have the rest of them arrived yet?
i wouldnt know yet but i have pics of the catback on my car, car is kind of dirty ...but u can see how its like an inch off the bumper and...well, my next post will have pics...
Old 02-04-2003, 04:16 PM
Sports Button FTW

dam, was so perfect, now its sagging and looks a little too much to the left...would like it a little more to the right...
Old 02-04-2003, 05:49 PM
Dev

meccanoble, the setup looks pretty good.
its really reassuring to hear that you like the sound of the exhaust. i was pretty worried about getting a raspy type bees in the can sound, but im now more confident in the cat-back.
after you get that tip straightened out, it'll look perfect, but regardless, its a nice setup for the price.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:50 PM

i emailed and whoever it was replied with the GD price, so i might go for that.
should i also ask if theyre actually in stock? i wasnt told to wait on the payment until theyre in stock ..
Old 02-04-2003, 07:54 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by sil SE
i emailed and whoever it was replied with the GD price, so i might go for that.
should i also ask if theyre actually in stock? i wasnt told to wait on the payment until theyre in stock ..
yea, i would call for stock first
Old 02-04-2003, 07:57 PM
Sin

I would definetly contact them first. When I did regarding whether they would be ok with my order of a combination of Dev's and mine, they told me to wait before sending payment, because they have not confirmed stock yet.

So all these guys that have sent money in the last little while, I hope they contacted the seller to confirm stock first. I'm sure not all of them did.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:53 PM
JsL

If you guys haven't yet, let the supplier know about the crookedness of the muffler. I want an exhaust and the little gain, but I don't want the noise. If I drive regularly with the radio on medium volume, will I be able to hear the OBX with all the windows rolled up?
Old 02-04-2003, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by JsL
If you guys haven't yet, let the supplier know about the crookedness of the muffler. I want an exhaust and the little gain, but I don't want the noise. If I drive regularly with the radio on medium volume, will I be able to hear the OBX with all the windows rolled up?
my intake is still louder than the stillen y-pipe & the obx catback at WOT and thats with the radio off & windows up.

i have a 9month old baby and it's ok wth me.
Old 02-04-2003, 09:05 PM

Looks good, thought the 4" tip would look big but it looks just right. Again, how is the sound? When you really get on it, how does it sound?
Old 02-04-2003, 09:33 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by breaux124
Looks good, thought the 4" tip would look big but it looks just right. Again, how is the sound? When you really get on it, how does it sound?
it is seriously the BEST exhaust i have ever heard. Its not super quiet like stock, but it has a tiny bass, but its like soo quiet, when your car is idling, u can hear jack, at about 0-2k rpm, if u gently, i mean creep wit the car, thats the only time you'll hear the exhaust louder than the intake, its a great sound, real deep, not hollow, i'm telling u guys, you will not be dissappointed...if anything you'll be mad that its not loud enough...

and the best part is i can now rev up to 4 rpm without hearing some nasty raspy sound at the peak of the rev or something, nice bass from top or rpm to bottom, i stand by this product 100%, even with the minor flaws it has, still worth every penny and one of the best things i bought for my car...
Old 02-04-2003, 09:46 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The real question is does this catback resonate from 2200-3000rpms like all the other catbacks and aftermarket mufflers do? That was the most annoying thing about having a catback on the VQ. The resonating from 2200-3000rpms annoying and really made it's way into the cabin. And I had the super quiet HKS muffler and resonated Courtesy B-pipe at the time.

Dave
Old 02-04-2003, 10:12 PM

nice bed man. hobo style!
Old 02-04-2003, 10:50 PM
Sports Button FTW

if anyone in new jersey wants to hear it, we'll schedule an appointment , i'm not familiar with resonation and all that good stuff, but i'll test it out and see what rpm the peak noise comes from...
Old 02-05-2003, 01:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: NEWS NEWS NEWS!!!!

...any other questions?

Any word on the turbo project....?
Old 02-05-2003, 01:47 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Re: Re: NEWS NEWS NEWS!!!!

Originally posted by TurDz

Any word on the turbo project....?

Muahahhaha, are u taking over sprintmax's position in harassing him...
Old 02-05-2003, 07:10 AM

Re: Re: Re: NEWS NEWS NEWS!!!!

Originally posted by 97GLES
araffio & meccanoble
e-mail me a phone # so i can call you.

i got my exhaust fixed and i even got the tip to stick out more.
Freddie-

Mine is perfect now, I wouldn't want to change it at all. What did you have the guy do?
Old 02-05-2003, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by Aaron95SE

Aaron I dunno if Mecca is talkin about my car but during the winter my car is very quiet. At idle it sounds like a regular maxima with a lil grunt, when i get on it, everything changes, the b!tch screams to redline (intake/ss-ypipe/greddy). Mecca wait till spring or summer rolls around...then you can hear what my car really sounds like, Enjoy your new catback, i know you weren't pleased with the old setup.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:52 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by MaximaRider

Aaron I dunno if Mecca is talkin about my car but during the winter my car is very quiet. At idle it sounds like a regular maxima with a lil grunt, when i get on it, everything changes, the b!tch screams to redline (intake/ss-ypipe/greddy). Mecca wait till spring or summer rolls around...then you can hear what my car really sounds like, Enjoy your new catback, i know you weren't pleased with the old setup.
i was pleased at the quietness of my old setup but not at the power i lost and the sound it made when u tried to be aggressive with it. yea i was referring to your car. when you was parked next to me it was real quiet, i mean for a catback...

i just drove to school and i see that my setup is very similar to your quietness, there is a tiny drone at around 2500 to 3000 rpm, a little loud compared to stock, but definitely quieter than my previous setups. Plus i have a y-pipe and intake...nonetheless i'm still happy with it, and dont really plan on fixing any problems because it doesnt bother me THAT much...well...might go for a bigger tip during summer....
Old 02-05-2003, 09:14 AM

i was pleased at the quietness of my old setup but not at the power i lost and the sound it made when u tried to be aggressive with it. yea i was referring to your car. when you was parked next to me it was real quiet, i mean for a catback...

i just drove to school and i see that my setup is very similar to your quietness, there is a tiny drone at around 2500 to 3000 rpm, a little loud compared to stock, but definitely quieter than my previous setups. Plus i have a y-pipe and intake...nonetheless i'm still happy with it, and dont really plan on fixing any problems because it doesnt bother me THAT much...well...might go for a bigger tip during summer....
Bigger Tip ?? I thaught you liked it

-matt
Old 02-05-2003, 10:12 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: NEWS NEWS NEWS!!!!

Originally posted by araffio

Freddie-

Mine is perfect now, I wouldn't want to change it at all. What did you have the guy do?
araffio
e-mail me your phone # so i can call you later, i'm stepping out to the dentsit now.

WWW.FS820@WEBTV.NET

Quick Reply: Obx Catback Just Came In!!!! *pics*