4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Most EVEN LOOKING manual tranny drop?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 06:37 AM

Most EVEN LOOKING manual tranny drop?

I've done my searching but need some fresh opinions. What springs will give me the most even looking drop on a 98 5spd GXE? I know the 5spd tranny is lighter, and makes the rear look like its sagging...and I dont want that. Thanks

shaz
Old 02-07-2003, 06:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I need to know too...Im changing my sprints out

-matt
Old 02-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Whats the matter Matt? Not liking the Sprints anymore?
Old 02-07-2003, 06:47 AM

tom,

ya got mail
Old 02-07-2003, 07:31 AM

I'm getting B+G's (considered progress).
Old 02-07-2003, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by kink420
theres a name brand out there that drops the car evenly, I saw it on this guys car and asked him about it when I dropped PRPs tranny but can not remember the name of the spring brand. Its the guy that Ramius helped swap out the auto to 5 speed swap Jonas
Old 02-07-2003, 09:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You can ask anyone....H&Rs are great for an even drop, esp on a manual. Ask Dave B who has 'em, or ask nadir_s or saw mine in person.

Old 02-07-2003, 09:55 AM

I know a lot of people say H&R's are even but it LOOKS like the back is sagging because the rear wheel well is smaller than the front. I dont want that look...any other opinions?

shaz
Old 02-07-2003, 10:10 AM

My car sits even now with sprints, but i have about 150+lbs of stereo in the trunk
Old 02-07-2003, 10:13 AM
Keven97SE

Re: Most EVEN LOOKING manual tranny drop?

One option that would let you go with any spring type you want is to use Koni rear struts. They have an adjustable lower spring perch that can be raised or lowered to allow you to raise the back of the car ~3/8"-1/2" (forget what the actual raise is). Great for heavy stereos in the back. I think the rear Konis are ~$75 each.

Originally posted by shaz
I've done my searching but need some fresh opinions. What springs will give me the most even looking drop on a 98 5spd GXE? I know the 5spd tranny is lighter, and makes the rear look like its sagging...and I dont want that. Thanks

shaz

Old 02-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Hmmm...take a look at the first page of my homepage and tell if H&R equipped 5 speed SE looks like it's got a low butt.

Dave
Old 02-07-2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Dave B
Hmmm...take a look at the first page of my homepage and tell if H&R equipped 5 speed SE looks like it's got a low butt.

Dave
Dave,

It looks better than mine. Have you done the "finger" test in awhile?

Check njmaxseltd's poll, and read what I wrote, and tell me if that's no gap difference!

Hm.. maybe I should go to Konis
Old 02-07-2003, 01:35 PM
I'm so hood

Can't you use isolators or something in the springs in the rear to raise the height up just a tad, enough to eliminate a minor sagging effect?
Old 02-07-2003, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by kink420
B+G's are actually the worst springs to get if you're worried about it being even in front and back. (Check my homepage)
Old 02-07-2003, 02:05 PM

my sig is with H&R's on an auto. Front sits slightly lower. With a 5-sp you'd probably get about as even a drop as you can get.

K
Old 02-07-2003, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by Kevin
my sig is with H&R's on an auto. Front sits slightly lower. With a 5-sp you'd probably get about as even a drop as you can get.

K
No you wont, Rbeyer has HRs and he had to do something to his rear springs to make the car sit even.

I dont give a fck if I get flamed but HRs are a little drop and good ride, get another spring if you want a real drop and better look.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:13 PM

it seems there is always SOMEONE with an issue of the uneven drop, no matter what car.

I'm not sure of the reasons on this; it may be bad mounts or an excessively heavy load.

H&R's usually provide an even drop.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Lime

H&R's usually provide an even drop.
No they dont not a 5 speed, maybe on an auto.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by JAY25

No they dont not a 5 speed, maybe on an auto.
I dunno about you...but at worst, the front will be about 1cm higher or something....

and I've had the springs on the car for about 2 years.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by TurDz

I dunno about you...but at worst, the front will be about 1cm higher or something....

and I've had the springs on the car for about 2 years.

more then that, I should know I install have installed them on many maximas, even settled ones people have came back to cut them.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:47 PM

this is probably the best way to get rid of a$$ sag....

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=uneven
Old 02-07-2003, 11:20 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

No you wont, Rbeyer has HRs and he had to do something to his rear springs to make the car sit even.

I dont give a fck if I get flamed but HRs are a little drop and good ride, get another spring if you want a real drop and better look.
I just measured my H&Rs with 235/45R17s. Front gap 2.1" and the rear gap 2.0". With me sitting in the car, the gaps got to 1.8" front and 1.8 rear. This is on a fully loaded 96 SE 5 speed. Looks pretty even to me. Seriously, H&Rs look plenty low for a 4th gen.

Slammed cars ride like complete crap. What's fun about riding on the bumpstops? Ferraris, Vettes, and Vipers have more wheel gap than I do.

Dave
Old 02-07-2003, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by Kevin
this is probably the best way to get rid of a$$ sag....

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ghlight=uneven
Wow I never took the time to read that thread until now.

Do they have spacer bushings that are the size/length of a spring coil? I think it would last longer, since the force on those bushings would be more distributed than at 4 points.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

GC/ with AGX.
Old 02-07-2003, 11:57 PM

Originally posted by spiff56747

B+G's are actually the worst springs to get if you're worried about it being even in front and back. (Check my homepage)
I agree. The above statement applies only to 5-speeds/manual tranny, of course. The B&G is a great spring if you have an automatic. Nice drop, good handling, excellent ride-quality.

Search for old threads on "springs" with .org member "dashingmax"

He went with B&G's on his 5-speed & ended up having to use spring spacers in the rear to make the gap look better. He had no heavy audio in the trunk.

(email him if you're unable to locate the thread - it was a long time ago; maybe almost a year or more)
Old 02-12-2003, 11:28 AM

Dave
looks pretty good...any other opinions?

shaz
Old 02-12-2003, 01:55 PM

I just measured my H&Rs with 235/45R17s. Front gap 2.1" and the rear gap 2.0". With me sitting in the car, the gaps got to 1.8" front and 1.8 rear. This is on a fully loaded 96 SE 5 speed. Looks pretty even to me. Seriously, H&Rs look plenty low for a 4th gen.

Slammed cars ride like complete crap. What's fun about riding on the bumpstops? Ferraris, Vettes, and Vipers have more wheel gap than I do.

Dave
this the reason why I dont post on what suspension threads anymore. Is BS like this that makes me ignore the subject. Which suspension is supreme or rides like cush or what spring gives me the even drop. I if anyone cares I had picky people in New Orleans ride in my car and no complaints I dont know why we have some many girls complaining about the suspension set up. F U C K all that if you have that many complaints and issues leave your sh it stock and dont modify it. Or buy a honda those drop very nice.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:24 PM

H&R and eibach gives an even drop
Old 02-12-2003, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
After JAY25's thread of annoyance, your comment seems like very provoking hehe.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

Geeeez and I always wondered why one day you appeared on my ignore list without me putting you there. Now I see why. But I took you off because I didnt put you there some one else did
Old 02-12-2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

I agree. The above statement applies only to 5-speeds/manual tranny, of course. The B&G is a great spring if you have an automatic. Nice drop, good handling, excellent ride-quality.

I have an Auto, and the rear on my B&G's sags alot more than the front....the wheel well itself is about 1/2 as high as the front in the back.

IanS
Old 02-12-2003, 06:48 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

this the reason why I dont post on what suspension threads anymore. Is BS like this that makes me ignore the subject. Which suspension is supreme or rides like cush or what spring gives me the even drop. I if anyone cares I had picky people in New Orleans ride in my car and no complaints I dont know why we have some many girls complaining about the suspension set up. F U C K all that if you have that many complaints and issues leave your sh it stock and dont modify it. Or buy a honda those drop very nice.
Well Jay, you're either going to have to put me on your ignore list or exercise your moderator status to lock this thread because you aren't going to like what I have to say:

1) H&Rs drop the car nearly even. If within .1" is not close to even, then go join the federal offices of "Weights & Measures"

2) H&Rs drop the 4th gen Maxima ~1.8" with 2" gaps front and back. Not exactly "hardly" a drop.

3) Riding on springs that lower the 4th/5th gen Maxima more than 2.2" will cause the ride to be crappy. Riding on bumpstops is neither fun nor good on the car. Motivational rear mounts should be on everyone's list if you're going to get any type of lowering spring.

4) Slammed cars DO NOT necessarily handle better

5) Suspension travel means everything. Take a look at how much suspension travel an M3 has then get back to me. BMWs don't exactly corner flat, but they stick.

6) Calling someone a "Girl" because they prefer to have a softer lowered ride only makes you look more ignorant. While you're slammed Max is pogoing and sliding off the road because of a slightly bumpy turn, the softer sprung, slightly higher riding Max is gliding thru the turn with no loss of control or composure.

Dave
Old 02-12-2003, 09:34 PM

- Sprints for me. It should do the 5spds pretty good I think. I will let you know come this summer.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by 96shogunmax

- Sprints for me. It should do the 5spds pretty good I think. I will let you know come this summer.
if you live in an area where the roads are not taken care of, avoid sprints. having a "real looking drop" is not worth the uncomfortable ride. But if you have smooth roads...lucky you.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by enticiveblkmax

if you live in an area where the roads are not taken care of, avoid sprints. having a "real looking drop" is not worth the uncomfortable ride. But if you have smooth roads...lucky you.

Not to be a d#ck about this , but I have seen everybodies complaints and whatnot. I really dont mind a harsh ride if that is what it comes down to. Why would I want to upgrade springs that you cant tell much about the drop. I am trying to get rid of the 4X4 not bring it back to life. I had maxspeeds and cut them. I hate them. Didnt drop much. So if you want to awake the 4X4 again then more power to you. I dont.
No need to try and change my mind or argue with me about this. My mind is made up. Take Care....
Old 02-13-2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

Search for old threads on "springs" with .org member "dashingmax"

He went with B&G's on his 5-speed & ended up having to use spring spacers in the rear to make the gap look better. He had no heavy audio in the trunk.

(email him if you're unable to locate the thread - it was a long time ago; maybe almost a year or more)
Very True. I did have a uneven looking drop. Ideally you would want to drop the fronts a little bit more than the rear. For almost a year, I've been running 0.25" spring spacers in the rear. The drop looks perfect...

If I had to do everything again, I'd go with H&R or some other spring that offers less drop in the rear than the fronts...
Old 02-13-2003, 06:39 PM

Originally posted by enticiveblkmax

Not to mention busted axles....

<yes, I only typed this to annoy you>

Old 02-13-2003, 11:50 PM

Originally posted by iansw

Not to mention busted axles....

<yes, I only typed this to annoy you>

Busted axles.... How many times have you changed your axles since you had the car? And you have a 97 right?
Old 02-14-2003, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by 96shogunmax

Busted axles.... How many times have you changed your axles since you had the car? And you have a 97 right?
3 axles in 3 months.....you know this, man.

I don't really see what the year has to do with it - the suspension and frame is 100% the same on all 4th Gens.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by iansw

3 axles in 3 months.....you know this, man.

I don't really see what the year has to do with it - the suspension and frame is 100% the same on all 4th Gens.

Well I was going to say they just wore out and needed replacing. But might have been your springs or roads. OR springs and roads. Plus I dont know if struts makes a big difference in this factor...A 97 maxima is 6 yrs old now. Mine is 7 and I have replaced one of mine due to it just waring out.

Quick Reply: Most EVEN LOOKING manual tranny drop?