4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New Mod = Electrical problem - please HELP (long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 09:25 PM
MaximaFreak

New Mod = Electrical problem - please HELP (long)

Okay, so I did my new mod tonight and it looks great and it actually works, but not without kinks of course. I believe I'm the first person to do this, as I can't find any posts on this when searching. Before I detail the problem, I believe that a relay would solve all my problems, but I would need relay specifications to make sure I get the right one. Anyway, here goes:

THE MOD
I basically did the blinker rewire, but instead of using the bumper light to blink with the blinker, I decided to use the clearance light (next to the headlight). I put an amber bulb in there and took out the bulb on the running light on the bumper. I smipped the ground from the clearance light and tapped into the power on the blinker. Lights on - blinkers are in sync, lights off - blinkers alternate. All this with "tinted" bumper lights. Very cool. I'm diggin it.

THE PROBLEM
There are different issues with lights on and lights off. I'll detail below.

LIGHTS OFF
1. Odometer light (JUST the odometer light - not speedo illumination) is on. And it pulses with the blinker. (Plain wierd.)
2. Blinkers blink in sync and with the same speed as they normally do. (good)
3. I hit my brakes when blinkers are on and nothing abnormal happens. (good)
4. Rear blinkers act as normal. (good)

LIGHTS ON - the problem gets wierder
1. Odometer light on now (as it should be) and does NOT pulse with the blinkers.
2. Rear blinkers are now slightly illuminated ALL THE TIME. Like they are getting a volt or two of power and acting as running lights but act normal when the turn signal is on.
3. All blinkers blink a little slower than with the lights off (no big whoop) and if I hit the brake they blink REALLY slow )this is a big whoop - too slow).
4. Blinkers alternate as they should.

This is obviously because of how I wired this and I could simply undo what I did and everything will be back to normal, but I like the look and I like the mod all together. Here's a few configuration details (not sure they'll matter, but I figured I would get them in here):
1. I have the fog light mod where the relay is tapped into the bumper light on the passenger side.
2. I have the corner lights on 27W by reversing the 1157 bulb.

Again, I believe using a relay would solve this issue, anyone agree? If so, what type of relay should go in and how should I wire it? If not, what do you suggest? Is there any way to do this and retain blinking speed and not have my rear blinkers acting as running lights? Any and all help/suggestions are welcome and appreciated as always.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:24 AM
Jedi Knight

Re: New Mod = Electrical problem - please HELP (long)

Originally posted by Big_Ham
Okay, so I did my new mod tonight and it looks great and it actually works, but not without kinks of course. I believe I'm the first person to do this, as I can't find any posts on this when searching. Before I detail the problem, I believe that a relay would solve all my problems, but I would need relay specifications to make sure I get the right one. Anyway, here goes:
Actually, this mod has already been done...by the 3rd gen guys. When I did it on my third gen, all I did was the basic rewire, like you , no relay necessary and there really shouldn't be a need for one. Might be some unproperly shielded wires somewhere...but those are weird problems...let us know if you get the problem solved.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:57 AM
MaximaFreak

Re: Re: New Mod = Electrical problem - please HELP (long)

Originally posted by nupe500

Actually, this mod has already been done...by the 3rd gen guys. When I did it on my third gen, all I did was the basic rewire, like you , no relay necessary and there really shouldn't be a need for one. Might be some unproperly shielded wires somewhere...but those are weird problems...let us know if you get the problem solved.
Anyone else have any suggestions?