4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cut coil on MaxSpeed springs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 11:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cut coil on MaxSpeed springs?

Hey guys... I just got my MaxSpeed springs and from pictures and stuff... I don't think its that much of a drop. I wanted to know if I can cut a coil off of them to lower even more. Will this present any problems? Also, what areas do I have to cut, and how? Will anything be affected negatively? Please let me know, thanks!

Shawn
Old 02-08-2003, 11:29 AM

have you given everything time to settle? can you post pics?
Old 02-08-2003, 12:17 PM

Re: Cut coil on MaxSpeed springs?

Originally posted by djshawnee
Hey guys... I just got my MaxSpeed springs and from pictures and stuff... I don't think its that much of a drop. I wanted to know if I can cut a coil off of them to lower even more. Will this present any problems? Also, what areas do I have to cut, and how? Will anything be affected negatively? Please let me know, thanks!

Shawn
This is my opinion, I dont recommend you cut them, and I ride on cut intrax coils. The max speed coils are not as progressive as the sprint and intrax coils. If your not happy I suggest you buy sprints or Ground controls regardless of what other people have posted with their problems. Its only a handful and its not everyone. As far as my set up the Koni adjustable my intrax spring still has to be pushed or compressed down not letting it be loose between the shock. With the Max speed and AGX your spring will not seat in there snug the way it sits now so when you lower the car you have to pay attention it sits in there properly
Old 02-08-2003, 02:06 PM

My maxspeed/agx's aren't seated perfectly snug. I get some squeaking when it's cold out, as on at least two of the spings, the rubber spring boot thing where it sits in the strut has come part way off. That's the only problem I have with them. My maxspeeds took a week or so to really settle.. before that it didn't look dropped at all. Also, the handling *really* improved once it settled. My $0.02. But like Jay said, they aren't as progressive as some of the other springs, so I wouldn't recommend cutting them.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Cut coil on MaxSpeed springs?

Originally posted by JAY25

This is my opinion, I dont recommend you cut them, and I ride on cut intrax coils. The max speed coils are not as progressive as the sprint and intrax coils. If your not happy I suggest you buy sprints or Ground controls regardless of what other people have posted with their problems. Its only a handful and its not everyone. As far as my set up the Koni adjustable my intrax spring still has to be pushed or compressed down not letting it be loose between the shock. With the Max speed and AGX your spring will not seat in there snug the way it sits now so when you lower the car you have to pay attention it sits in there properly

How did you know this

Dont do it djshawnee because everytime you get tires put on or your car is jacked up the spring wont set on the strut right unless you watch it and guide it in. I have cut maxspeeds and I dont recommend it. I have sprints in my room going on next weekend.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:26 PM

Re: Re: Re: Cut coil on MaxSpeed springs?

Originally posted by 96shogunmax

How did you know this

Dont do it djshawnee because everytime you get tires put on or your car is jacked up the spring wont set on the strut right unless you watch it and guide it in. I have cut maxspeeds and I dont recommend it. I have sprints in my room going on next weekend.
WTH let me ask craigmack to add you to the crazy list of who cant make up their minds
Old 02-08-2003, 10:10 PM

I haven't gotten them installed yet.... but I was still debating on whether or not to cut. I have decided not to.. and the springs are going on Wednesday (I have the day off, thanx to my man Lincoln).

Thanks for your help guys!

Shawn
Old 02-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cut coil on MaxSpeed springs?

Originally posted by JAY25

WTH let me ask craigmack to add you to the crazy list of who cant make up their minds
They are unsafe and I got to sit the car down b/c of the 19s and kit.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:10 PM
Maxima95Tuner

If you cut the springs, you change the spring rate. When the springs are manufactured, they are set to a certain spring rate so the car will ride nice. When you lower it, the smaller springs have the same spring rate. When you cut any spring, you will change the rate, and the car will not olny handle poorly, but it will ruin your suspension.