4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Need Starter Help ASAP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 05:59 PM

Need Starter Help ASAP!!

First off, the car is a 95 Maxima SE. I have done my research and searched page by page about starters since it's such a common problem, but yet to find an answer. Bare with me, this will get confusing.
Here's the problem:
The starter is obviously spinning, but it doesn't appear to be making contact with the flywheel to start the car. (Automatic)
I bought a used starter from another Maxima.org member. The one that was currently in my car had 10 teeth, so it was not the original. The used starter I bought had the wire with the connector clipped that comes off of the selenoid, so I took the selenoid off on my old 10 tooth starter and placed in on the used one I purchased, installed it, and same problem, no start, just spinning. With nothing to lose, I clipped the connector off of the selenoid from my old starter, then spliced it into the selenoid of the starer that I bought used from the org member. Just tried to install it again, same damn problem. So here's the breakdown of what I've tried:
1. Old 10 tooth starter with the selenoid from the used starter I purchased.
2. Used starter with the selenoid from the 10 tooth old starter.
The only combo I haven't tried is the used starter I purchased with the original selenoid and splicing the wires together for the connector.

I took the used starter I purchased to the parts store with the selenoid from the 10 tooth and had it tested. The guy said it "appeared" to be bad (because of the sound), but that shaft was spinning and the selenoid appeared to be working correctly.

I inspected the flywheel and it appeared to be in good condition. I have never encountered the problem of the car still trying to start after it has started, ect... which would cause damage to the flywheel. I HAVE had trouble with the car starting for the past 6 months though. One day it started up fine, the next morning it wouldn't crank, and hasn't ever since. So once again, the starter is spinning, it appears to not be making contact with the flywheel though. Odds are that both starters I have are not bad, but it could happen I guess. I am hoping no flywheel damage has been done. Are there any sure signs to see if flywheel damage has occured? I plan on trying to use the schematics from motorvate.ca and regreasing the starter, but first I am going to try to use the starter + selenoid that came with the one I bought used. Hope I didn't get you guys too confused. I need to fix this ASAP because I've been using my motorcycle for transportation these past couple of weeks while it has been up for sale, and now I have a buyer and will sell it, but I need the Maxima up and running again.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
Old 02-08-2003, 06:26 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You got 2 bum starters. They both probably need to be regreased badly. Thats why the shaft isn't coming out. It's frozen.
Electrically both starters are working. You need to rebuild the mechanicals. It's actually pretty easy to do. Use high temp grease. Take it apart, clean and lub all the gears and the spline shaft. Put it back together and you should have your starting problem solved.

I think the 10 tooth is better. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Need Starter Help ASAP!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rino1313
[B]First off, the car is a 95 Maxima SE. I have done my research and searched page by page about starters since it's such a common problem, but yet to find an answer. Bare with me, this will get confusing.
Here's the problem:
The starter is obviously spinning, but it doesn't appear to be making contact with the flywheel to start the car.

The solenoid does 2 things on the starter, 1 is to complete the circuit for the starter and 2 it pushes the gear down to engage to engage the flywheel. When you say the starter spins is the solenoid pushing the gear down as well? If it is pushing the gear down and it spins the starter is working okay. You might have a bad spot on the flywheel. If your car is a 5 speed try push it and pop the clutch if it starts now you have a bad spot on the flywheel. If it is an automatic try moving the crank shaft pull to get flywheel to a different spot. If it starts now you have a bad flywheel gear (can't remember exactly what it is called on Automatic) any way you should be able to determine what is wrong by doing that. Once you get off the bad spot You can now take your chances on it happening again or fix it. Hope this helps!
Old 02-08-2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

I think the 10 tooth is better. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Everyone seems to say that since it's the latest design, but my experience was different. My 10 tooth starter went bad twice(regreased the first time), so I bought a used 8 tooth one off a wrecked 95, used some high quality grease on it and haven't had a problem since. I think all the starters have issues though.