4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cleaned my TB

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 02:20 PM

Cleaned my TB

I followed the instructions of www.motorvate.ca.. I was surprised how nasty it was in there. Maybe my starting problem isn't a problem anymore. Also, I sprayed the TB cleaner into the TB while the engine was running (as per the instructions on the back of the can) and it blew up on me (just a small fireball). That scared the **** out of me, so I knew it was time to stop

I don't think I can stress enough how good of a difference a cleaning makes.
-Elia
Old 02-09-2003, 02:58 PM

Why did u spray it in there while the engine was running? Doing stuff like that is a good way to fu** up your engine. You should never turn on ur engine without your intake filter on cause it could allow particles to get in your engine. Doing stuff like that will cost you a new engine.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:03 PM

I just drove around the block.. it's a huge difference in low end performance, though I can't tell how huge because the ground is wet and my tires are bald.. but I really had no idea how much power I was losing before.
-Elia
Old 02-09-2003, 03:04 PM

That's why I did it for just a little bit. The instructions on the can said to remove the intake and turn the engine on.. I checked at least 3 times, because it seemed odd to me. Maybe if my engine dies I can blame the company and make them buy me a new Z
-Elia

Originally posted by BBaker025
Why did u spray it in there while the engine was running? Doing stuff like that is a good way to fu** up your engine. You should never turn on ur engine without your intake filter on cause it could allow particles to get in your engine. Doing stuff like that will cost you a new engine.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

lol, that is funny. glad you and your car are ok, even better than before.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:25 PM
Sin

You obviously know nothing about proper tb cleaning procedures.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:45 PM

You obviously know nothing about proper tb cleaning procedures
I might not know alot, but I cleaned mine a week ago and I know in the writeup it never says to clean it while the engine is on.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:56 PM
Sin

I might not know alot, but I cleaned mine a week ago and I know in the writeup it never says to clean it while the engine is on.
Then you are misinformed. The proper way to clean out your intake, so to also clean your IACV, as well as the intake manifold and valves. How do you do that? You disconnect the intake plumbing from the throttle body. After cleaning the throttle body itself, you start the car, the spray into the TB with the engine running, blipping the throttle with your other hand, to clean out the intake manifold, valves, and to a lesser extent, the combustion chamber. While doing this, disconnect the 5/8" pipe from the IACV, and spray into there so as to clean out the IACV. Finally, spray liberally, and then shut the engine down. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes, then reattach everything, start the car, and then go for a drive.

It is also VERY important to change your engine oil shortly afterwards. By afterwards, I mean later that day, or the next day.

Because this is a time of cleaning, and you'll be changing the oil as well, this is a good time to clean out your injectors in the form of high concentration in tank additive. For example Redline SI, BG 44K, AMSOIL PI, an entire bottle, with less than a quarter tank of gas in the gas tank. Do this earlier in the week, run as LOW as you dare. Top up, run the car on a full tank of gas for a day, then do the tb and iacv cleaning.

BTW, I did this procedure this weekend. My buddy's g-tech says a 6hp increase two days apart, before and after. Not to mention, better idle now that my iacv is clean, and SIGNIFICANTLY better mileage, like 5-10% in 2 days.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:18 PM

Then you are misinformed. The proper way to clean out your intake, so to also clean your IACV, as well as the intake manifold and valves. How do you do that? You disconnect the intake plumbing from the throttle body. After cleaning the throttle body itself, you start the car, the spray into the TB with the engine running, blipping the throttle with your other hand, to clean out the intake manifold, valves, and to a lesser extent, the combustion chamber. While doing this, disconnect the 5/8" pipe from the IACV, and spray into there so as to clean out the IACV. Finally, spray liberally, and then shut the engine down. Let it sit for 15-20 minutes, then reattach everything, start the car, and then go for a drive.
Didnt relize it was that complicated. I guess that I was misinformed, I was just following that writeup and it didnt say any of that. Thanks 4 setting the record straight.
Old 02-09-2003, 04:44 PM

Would a B&G engine cleaning be as effective as your procedure?

DW

Originally posted by Sin

It is also VERY important to change your engine oil shortly afterwards. By afterwards, I mean later that day, or the next day.

Because this is a time of cleaning, and you'll be changing the oil as well, this is a good time to clean out your injectors in the form of high concentration in tank additive. For example Redline SI, BG 44K, AMSOIL PI, an entire bottle, with less than a quarter tank of gas in the gas tank. Do this earlier in the week, run as LOW as you dare. Top up, run the car on a full tank of gas for a day, then do the tb and iacv cleaning.

BTW, I did this procedure this weekend. My buddy's g-tech says a 6hp increase two days apart, before and after. Not to mention, better idle now that my iacv is clean, and SIGNIFICANTLY better mileage, like 5-10% in 2 days.
Old 02-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Sin

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Would a B&G engine cleaning be as effective as your procedure?

DW

If you do the BG service, it should be just as good, but cost you over $100, while mine costed about $15 Canadian.

What they do is, disconnect your fuel line right before the fuel rail. They then hook up a line to an aerosol can to the fuel rail, plug off the fuel supply and return lines, unhook the fuel pump fuse, and run the cleaner through your injectors with NO gasoline coming from the tank. This is about the best way to clean injectors short of removal, and ultrasonic cleaning, which shouldn't be necessary on a well maintained car anyways. And also cleans the valves very well, as well.

I'm not sure if BG also does the tb, iacv, and intake manifold cleaning as well for the $100 that they do charge you. If they do, it's just as good a cleaning as my procedure, which is the way most enthusiasts do it. If they don't, do the whole procedure yourself in like 30 minutes. You literally spend more time during the 20 minute wait, than you do actually working. Which is why i like to do little other things during that time, i.e. topping up the windshield fluid reservoir, checking fluids, vaccuum lines, cleaning up the engine, checking tire pressure, etc.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:22 AM

where is the IACV hose? where do we spray to clean that?
Old 02-11-2003, 09:32 AM

So sin, when you run the car does it not throw a code? If it does, even if I reset it, won't the dealer find out about it?

Originally posted by Sin

Then you are misinformed. The proper way to clean out your intake, so to also clean your IACV, as well as the intake manifold and valves. How do you do that? You disconnect the intake plumbing from the throttle body. .........
Old 02-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Sin

Miasma, you spray directly into the IACV. To find it, it's the nipple that attaches to the 5/8" hose that goes to the intake resonator on a stock intake, or a nipple on the piping of an aftermarket. Spray into the IACV, not the hose.

dvpatel99se, you will get a code when spraying into the tb with the engine running. If you want, just leave it alone, and it goes away by itself. If you want to, just reset the code, and it never comes back.