4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A Short Story for you all.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 08:40 PM

A Short Story for you all.

Hello all,
I have been eyeballing this sight for a few months, to get info on the Max, the car that I have been wanting to get my hands on for a while. Well, two nights ago I took delivery a '99 SE in absolutely gorgeous shape. It was love at first sight, as I saw her in the preowned showroom. I stepped inside, and she smelled alomst like new, everything was in perfect shape, no signs of wear anywhere. The engine, clean as a whistle. I then took a look at the back seat, and to my great pleasure I found a baby seat imprint in the leather, along with a Mc'Donalds toy stuffed in between the seat. I knew that this was the one that I wanted. The car certaintly did not look abused, and the baby seat confirmed this to a degree, I mean, how hard could the car have been driven most of the time with a baby in the back. At any rate, I am excited about becoming a member to this forum.
To start, I would like to ask a question about the automatic climate control, as I noticed a slight annoyance today while stuck in traffic with the stereo off. Here are the parameters of the observerdproblem? I had the auto climate control set to 72.*without the A/C on, set to ECON. The fan was blowing at the lowest setting, and there was a twirling/whistling ( for a lack of better descriptive words) sound coming from the vents. I then raised the fan up one notch, and it went away, and stayed at bay for the rest of the fan settings. I then brought the fan back down to the lowest setting, and the noise was gone...for a few minutes, and then came back. Whatever seems to be making the sound comes across as something being very small and spinning. It is very hard to describe it. My friend proposed to getting some comressed air and blowing it into the vents. I would like to run it by you guys frist. The noise is even audible with the stereo on at a moderate level, but at times the sound is faint. I am relunctant to bring it back to the dealer because I just know that they are going to scratch up my dash to go hunting for the problem. Anybody have any ideas what this is? Anybody else have this oddity? Other than that the car is awesome
Thanks!
Old 02-09-2003, 08:45 PM

I have this problem on my 91 se. It sounds like the fan is spinning itself out of bearings or something. I don't know to tell you the truth. I just usually adjust it until the noise goes away.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:41 PM

my 95 GLE did this as well as my 99 SE. I thought it was just the fans, it never really bothered me. Isnt it normal?
Old 02-10-2003, 05:48 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Mine does that too. You get used to it, just the way the blower motor sounds. Actually over time I think mine has gotten much quiter.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:00 AM

You just have to get use to it. When I first got my car, I noticed it (since I was still under the fac. warranty) and they said that the only thing they could do is replace the unit, but that won't guarantee the noise going away. They took the existing unit out and cleaned it, but still the noise was there. I guess that's just how nissan engineered them Welcome to the org!
Old 02-10-2003, 07:11 AM
lefty

Had it in my 91 max and also my 98 max. I think it is just a fact of having a max.

Just turn your stereo up a bit and it goes away

Old 02-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just bought a '99 Max SE last month, and I noticed the same noise. I've just gotten used to it. BTW, I love this car and I think you will too
Old 02-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I had this problem, and I took my dash apart and found a whole bunch of crap that had been sucked up. Just cleaned it out, and it's nice and quiet.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:13 AM

I always noticed a slight "whirring" noise that came on for a few seconds at a time. I presume this is just the motors behind the dash operating the vent controls to direct the air. I've also noticed that the ACC doesn't necessarily do what it says its doing when on AUTO or ECON. Sometimes the fan will hardly be blowing even though the display indicates the fan is on level 3 (I also hit the fan button so it was on "manual" and the fan blew harder. I don't consider this to be a problem though considering the system stays pretty well regulated.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:04 PM

mine does it too. its kind of soothing after a while. actuallly i drive without heat on but what im saying is that i think its normal too. trust me, its better than having a busted blower, like on my friends prelude. that thing sounded like an airplane taking off, and now its dead.
best of luck with your car
Old 02-10-2003, 01:19 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

The car certaintly did not look abused, and the baby seat confirmed this to a degree, I mean, how hard could the car have been driven most of the time with a baby in the back
wait till one of the little bastards gets a dirty diaper, then you see how fast you drive home.......
Old 02-10-2003, 01:57 PM

I had a whirring sound coming from the dash on the passenger side when the fan was on 1 or 2, went away at 3 or 4... took it to the dealer and they put some kind of muffle/silencer on it and the sound has been gone for almost 2 yrs. It's a common problem and it can be fixed.
Old 02-10-2003, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by fearthegecko

wait till one of the little bastards gets a dirty diaper, then you see how fast you drive home.......
lol!, so true, oh so true

Old 02-10-2003, 08:34 PM

Thanks everyone for their responses

i think I'm just gonna leave it alone. One lesson I have learned in the past is "if it aint broken, don't fix it.