4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

tinted windows

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

tinted windows

hi guys,
I got pulled over this morning because I have 34% tinted side windows (front and rear). Is there a law in Massechutsett that no tinted windows allowed on the front?
Old 02-10-2003, 11:06 AM

see if this helps.........

http://www.autowindowtintings.com/main.cfm?action=laws
Old 02-10-2003, 01:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Most states don't allow tinting on the front windows, or if they do, they only allow for very little tinting
Old 02-10-2003, 01:22 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

this site has laws for every state as far as tinting goes.

Did he pull you over because it was tinted, or because of the level of tint? And where did you get 34%? I thought it was made in 5% intervals. 35% is sold in places like walmart, and auto-parts stores, so i don't see how it can be illegal. Unless it's like a head shop selling a bong for tobacco use only.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:05 PM
^ Jeff™

Originally posted by fearthegecko
Unless it's like a head shop selling a bong for tobacco use only.
That's 'Tobacco Water Pipe" if you don't want to get kicked out...

Really helpful link though...Thank you!
Old 02-10-2003, 02:28 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: tinted windows

Originally posted by uc147
hi guys,
I got pulled over this morning because I have 34% tinted side windows (front and rear). Is there a law in Massechutsett that no tinted windows allowed on the front?
I was issued a citation in da U.P. of Michigan last year. My side windows are factory tinted. The officer explained that if I had the tinting removed and verified at a local state police post, the ticket would be waived. The rule in Michigan seemed mostly up to the officer's discretion on what was "too dark". I sent a picture of the car (which showed it was easy to see into the vehicle) and a letter (explaining that the tinting was factory applied) to the magistrate. To my surprise, the magistrate agreed with me and she waived the ticket!
Old 02-10-2003, 04:26 PM
henock

looked up those sites.. if it says ANY then you can have any shade of tint, and if it says 70% (california, ie) that means you can't have, say, 50% tint?

Old 02-10-2003, 05:02 PM

yeh in ma its pretty tough. u should try 35% much safer
Old 02-10-2003, 07:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

tough?

Originally posted by iregula
yeh in ma its pretty tough. u should try 35% much safer
MA is lucky! NJ gets zip on the front windows
Old 02-10-2003, 10:29 PM

Re: tough?

Originally posted by tzmanles
MA is lucky! NJ gets zip on the front windows
Florida must be soft, i have limo tint on all my windows and a huge strip on the top of my front window, it def goes past the factory line. i have never been pulled over and ive been next to a cop at night and he def couldnt see in my car. Its so dark i cant see out of it on really dark nights with no light from poles or lights. if anyone in florida knows that this is illegal and has been busted let me know so i dont go there.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:43 AM

Re: Re: tough?

Originally posted by Type97GXE

Florida must be soft, i have limo tint on all my windows and a huge strip on the top of my front window, it def goes past the factory line. i have never been pulled over and ive been next to a cop at night and he def couldnt see in my car. Its so dark i cant see out of it on really dark nights with no light from poles or lights. if anyone in florida knows that this is illegal and has been busted let me know so i dont go there.
In Texas And Florida just about everyone has tint on thier windows and cops are used to seeing it Iknow because Im from south Texas and it seems that 90% of the cars there have tint>But when I moved to Ohio a few years ago, cars here really dont have tint and cops arent used to seeing it on cars,And when they see it on one they stop you because I guess they have notting better to do..I hate it when cops stop you and say your tint is to dark then they do their little test and you pass ,and they say Oh its OK its not illeagl,,By that time they already made you waste your time..Its a matter of where you live if its a northern state you will get stoped trust me, but if its a sourthern state you probably wont..Its a wheather thing In south Texas tint is a must not a luxaury it gets really hot during the summer,and tint helps keep your car cooler and you from being toasted by hte sun.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by belikebode

My side windows are factory tinted
belikebode, really?

Does anyone else have factory tinted windows? I know that all factory glass is tinted (green, etc) but not to the extent that it would warrant one getting pulled over.
Old 02-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by pocketrocket

belikebode, really?

Does anyone else have factory tinted windows? I know that all factory glass is tinted (green, etc) but not to the extent that it would warrant one getting pulled over.
sometimes the dealer will tint the windows for you not for you but as part of selling the car they get mobile tint shops to come to the dealer and tint the windows on all the cars!

then they charge you like 200 dolla factory option when it cost them 80 bucks at most
Old 02-11-2003, 11:07 AM

I have 20% tint all allround. and a 7 inch strip on the top part of the winshield. never been stopped. I live in north Ga. I dont like it at night like has allready been said. I cant see jack out the sides and forget backin up cause its near impossible!
Old 02-11-2003, 12:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MaXimaDout95
I have 20% tint all allround. and a 7 inch strip on the top part of the winshield. never been stopped. I live in north Ga. I dont like it at night like has allready been said. I cant see jack out the sides and forget backin up cause its near impossible!
must be nice