4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Harlan switch/underhood heat

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 12:23 AM
lp
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Harlan switch/underhood heat

I've got my RPM switch mounted in the engine bay secured between the battery and airbox with a layer of that OEM silver heatwrap material around it. Its been working perfectly since install but on occasion the plastic housing still gets fairly warm down there (as expected). Never to the point of thinking 'thats too damn hot' but pretty warm nonetheless.

Being an electrical novice I'm wondering what you guys think the safe heat limit of a component like the Harlan would be, and if anyone has had issues with mounting the switch underhood?
Old 02-11-2003, 05:19 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Harlan switch/underhood heat

Originally posted by lp
I've got my RPM switch mounted in the engine bay secured between the battery and airbox with a layer of that OEM silver heatwrap material around it. Its been working perfectly since install but on occasion the plastic housing still gets fairly warm down there (as expected). Never to the point of thinking 'thats too damn hot' but pretty warm nonetheless.

Being an electrical novice I'm wondering what you guys think the safe heat limit of a component like the Harlan would be, and if anyone has had issues with mounting the switch underhood?
Mine's underhood, and I don't think I've ever notice it get even warm. Still works fine to this day. However, I mounted it in a location where it would see a descent bit of air:

http://www.ericj.org/maxima/img/NOS/IMAGE050.JPG

(Its in the blue zip ties)
Old 02-11-2003, 06:53 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Harlan switch/underhood heat

Originally posted by ejj

Mine's underhood, and I don't think I've ever notice it get even warm. Still works fine to this day. However, I mounted it in a location where it would see a descent bit of air:

http://www.ericj.org/maxima/img/NOS/IMAGE050.JPG

(Its in the blue zip ties)
Another option is to move it onto the cabin. Run an additional length of wire off of the switch and mountit in your fuse box area. Makes it easier to test it and you do not have to go under the hood every time you ned to change some settings.

Just an idea. You can run the wires through your fender wall into the are directly up behind the fuse box.

I had mine mounted behind the headlight assembly originally.
dave
Old 02-11-2003, 09:10 AM

I think the Harlan should be fine under the hood, but I mounted mine (both of them) inside the cabin under the shifter paneling. In general heat isn't a good thing for electrical components because it can vary the readings from normal.
-hype
Old 02-12-2003, 01:17 AM
lp

Thanks for the replies guys. Its the middle of a hot summer here at the moment so thats why temps are high in the engine bay. I've moved the switch slightly to one side to get more airflow but from your advice it should be fine.

Thought about moving it inside but it already took me a full day to wire it up totally hidden and I'm not too keen on tearing it all apart again. Have a VI-on LED indicator wired behind the previously unused factory 'SPORT' light on the dash cluster and can still access the actual switch very easily. So if I never see black electrical tape, heatshrink and convoluted tube again I'll be happy.