4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Interim Results of Ground Wire Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 01:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Interim Results of Ground Wire Project

Over the past weeks I have been cleaning the battery connections and ground wire connections. I used the special terminal post cleaner on the battery. On all other ground connections I clean all paint and primer off with a grind stone and Dremel tool. I clean all metal surfaces, connectors, bolts and mounting plates with a medium stainless steel wire wheel and Dremel Tool. At first I couldn't tell if there was any improvement but now I can tell a big difference. Made a big difference in response and pick up. It seems as if ECU was tuning itself for a few weeks. While everyone has been talking about reduced milage in this cold weather mine has been improving. Although this is preliminary feedback we are looking at several miles per gallon increase. I would have been satisfied with the performance improvements alone, the increased milage is a bonus. This all started when I did maintenance on my starter, cleaning and regreasing. As I came across various ground wires and starter connections I just started cleaning them and so on and so on. After performing maintenance on starter I have had zero problems. That dried up grease was the problem. The contols on our cars are so interdependent and electrically sensitive that a little preventive maintenance goes a long ways. I thought you might find this of interest!
Old 02-11-2003, 01:43 PM
I'm so hood

It's always good to hear people reap some benefits off a mainly preventative-maintenence job. I've seen people around here discourage cleaning your grounds/installing new wires as a waste of time and money, but it doesn't seem like it'd be THAT much time, and if you got cheaper wire, it wouldn't be that much money.

So why not, even if you may not notice anything?

I plan on hitting the write-ups and doing this myself probably early in the summer...I've got decent headlight-blinkage just with my 500w rms amp & deck-powered 2 front speakers.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I applied dielectric sp? grease to all the ground point after cleaning. It should prevent any corrosion build up. I found all the ground points in the engine bay via the FSM.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
I applied dielectric sp? grease to all the ground point after cleaning. It should prevent any corrosion build up. I found all the ground points in the engine bay via the FSM.
wanna give a list of all the points you used? (since not all of us have a FSM)
Old 02-11-2003, 08:43 PM

I took pictures.

http://imageevent.com/1max2nv/hkscircleearthsystem

Three of them were not factory ground points.

Originally posted by Miasma

wanna give a list of all the points you used? (since not all of us have a FSM)
Old 02-11-2003, 08:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
I took pictures.

http://imageevent.com/1max2nv/hkscircleearthsystem

Three of them were not factory ground points.

thats awesome! nice bay!

ok, now, some of the pics are hard to tell where in the engine you are. so, could you go pic by pic (give pic #, only applicable pix) and explain where in the bay you are and point out every ground point in each pic and whether or not those are factory grounds or not? thanks!
Old 02-12-2003, 08:34 AM

Sure..I'll just add some description within the album.

Originally posted by Miasma

thats awesome! nice bay!

ok, now, some of the pics are hard to tell where in the engine you are. so, could you go pic by pic (give pic #, only applicable pix) and explain where in the bay you are and point out every ground point in each pic and whether or not those are factory grounds or not? thanks!