4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

somtimes hard start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 02:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

somtimes hard start?

Problem:
What mode does the computer go to if it is not getting the correct signals from the O2 sensor, mine seems to be actually pulling a little harder!?!? I know it can't go to a lean mode (might damage the pistons, valves, etc) so it must be going into a rich condition? Does that mean that my car is NOT running right with the o2 sensor putting out the right voltages? If it runs better with the check engine lamp on because of an O2 sensor being bad? (Actually the code is for the "heater" on that O2 sensor), so I guess it could still be giving the right voltages as far as how much O2 is in the exhaust gasses. I am going to pull it this weekend,(the O2 sensor) try cleaning it up, make sure no wires have the insulation broken anywhere and put it back in and pre twist the wire so it's as straight as I can get it. I'm also going to replace the fuel filter and PCV valve. The other thing I have noticed is on a warm start, after the engine has reached normal temps, sometimes is takes as long as 2 to 4 seconds of constant cranking for it to start, when it does finally start, sometimes, not very often, but on occasion, it will act like it's going to die. Most of the time it fires right up like it is supposed to......it just takes a long time to start?!?! I have changed the plugs with properly gapped NGK Coppers, cleaned the throttle body, just had a new alternator installed (replaced under the recall), cleaned and oiled my K&N, Changed the oil, adjusted the IAC to idle at about 800 in park and 650 in drive, I have NOT changed the fuel filter, (I have one, just have not got to it yet and a new PCV valve too) Could the EGR valve have anything to so with the hard starting?
Thanks,

OK all you Maxima magicians.......work your magic! If I have to, I'll rip the whole dam thing apart! (not really) I want it to start at the bump of the key as my 96SE does, and idle smooth as glass, and run like a bat outta HE11.
TIA
2Maximas
Old 02-11-2003, 02:46 PM

I had hard start for a month. Changed bunch of stuff within the month including Starter, PCV, Fuel Filter, Spark Plugs, ECTS, cleaned the Throttle Body. Did many oil changes as I flooded the engine as I tried to get the car started (pressed the gas too much).

After diagnosing my problem, I finally concluded that it was the PCV valve. The ball/valve was stuck inside the PCV valve(guess it was never replaced).

Cleaning the throttle body helped on my idle RPM speed. Other than that I didn't find much of improvements on other maintainences. I have done the maintainence one by one day after day just to see the difference.

Anyhow after pulling off the old PCV valve check it if it stuck.

Good luck!

btw my car runs good now, no more giving little bit gas for few secs. or cranking for more then 2 secs.