4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

THROTTLE and TORQUE CONVERTER problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 05:38 PM

THROTTLE and TORQUE CONVERTER problems?

Can someone please help me! I've been to four different dealers concerning the same issue and no one can tell me what is wrong.

I have a 99 SE Limited and have about 58k miles. The problem I am having has occurred since August and is still ongoing and if anything is getting worse. Everytime I accelerate, there is a vibration in the accelerator pedal which feels very uncomfortable. Also, there seems to be a lot of free play so when I want to accelerate, the pedal does not feel responsive and sometimes, it feels really stiff to press. I always have to press the pedal down real far and hard to get a little bit of a response to get the car to go.

-ACTION TAKEN

I went to four dealers - one could not find anything but noticed I had a lot of slack in the throttle cable so he took up the extra slack. I drove away with a responsive, no vibration, no free-play feeling in the pedal. Wow, I thought that did the trick. But little did I know the same problem would come back a day later.

I then went to a second dealer and they had done a check up and diagnosed that my throttle housing had a lot of carbon build-up so they cleaned it out. After I left there, the car still drove poorly.

So I went to a third dealer, who told me that my throttle cable was too tight and they were going to put it back to spec settings. After I left there, the car drove great with great response and acceleration ( NO VIBRATION ). That feeling soon ended after a few hours and the car drove like crap.

Finally I went to the latest dealer who told me that the throttle cable was too tight and not in spec. Also, I was told that the housing wasn't fully cleaned properly so it was recleaned. Still the same problem.

**I have put all the clues together and have figured out that 2 out of the three times my cable was adjusted the car was more responsive during acceleration.

DO THROTTLE CABLES EVER GO BAD - ? SHOULD I REPLACE THE CABLE - ?
WHEN AN ADJUSTMENT IS MADE TO THE CABLE, HOW MANY LOCATIONS ARE ADJUSTED AND WHAT ARE THEY - ?
DOES THE THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR EVER GO BAD - ? WHAT ARE SYMPTOMS OF THIS GOING BAD - ?
COULD ANY COMPONENTS OF THE THROTTLE UNIT GO BAD - ?

And on top of all this, the latest has been happening - About a month ago, my car stalled twice when I was in drive right after starting the car. While I was going about 60 mph, the car shuddered back then forward while I was accelerating. An hour later, after the car was sitting, I went to start it and the car began to shake and shudder back and forth and then - the car died and the check engine light came on. - The dealer described it as a misc. occurrence and said cars cough so I took the car from them and haven't had the problem since. I use 93 octane gas, get regular oil changes and take care of my car.

TORQUE CONVERTER CONCERN :

As I drive, everytime I accelerate and the car shifts, I get a bad shuddering feeling like a kick-back - ( throttle shock feeling ). It feels like the car does not want to follow thru with the shift AND ONCE THE CAR DOES SHIFT - THE CAR WILL SHUDDER BACK THEN FORTH. I don't know what this is?

I bought the car at 45,000 miles and I don't know when the trans fluid was changed last. Could this be the problem?

IS THE ABOVE AN EXAMPLE OF SYMPTOMS OF A BAD TORQUE CONVERTER - ?

ARE BOTH PROBLEMS IN THIS POST RELATED TO EACH OTHER - ?

The concern above with my accelerator pedal has not helped the situation because in normal driving conditions, when I press the gas, the pedal does not feel responsive and once I get the car to move and shift, I feel the vibration in the pedal along with the shudder when shifting causing a very rough and abrupt ride. It seems like the accelerator pedal is not in tune with the trans shifting and it feels like the engine and trans are not working together.( ONE IS OFF )

The total performance of my 99 Maxima has slipped into a very poor, unenjoyable ride.

Can anyone give me any insight on what these problems may be?

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST BUT I AM FRUSTRATED AND WISH MY CAR WOULD RUN RIGHT.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Replace the throttle cable, yes they do go bad.

Have your transmission flushed.

Hopefully your troubles will go away.