4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help me convince my parents a Maxima is a good choice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 01:12 AM

Help me convince my parents a Maxima is a good choice!

I'm going to get a car this summer. My parents are going to help me pay for some of it, so they have a say in what I get. That's not really important.

I need you guys to help me prove to my parents that a Maxima really is a nice, reliable car. They are so stuck on Honda's and Toyota's that they do not want to believe that any other manufacturer is as reliable as they are. I know the Maxima has won a lot of awards. Anyone know a website where I can find what awards it has won? Can you think of anything I can tell/show them that will make them know that I want this car for other reasons than its looks?

I'm looking to get 4th generation Maxima. I think I will be able to get about 7-8 grand total between me and my folks. I want an SE cuz of the nice alloy's it comes with. Any advice on what kind of Maxima I should be able to get in that price range.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:45 AM

What you need to do is true to get them to reduce the price by giving you different wheels cause your gonna end up buying new ones anyway and the maxima is THE most reliable car you can buy hands down, just make sure it's in really good condition and wasn't abused.

Get an SE definetly...

Got mine at 71,000 miles and now i have 110,000 on her with not a single problem just a few nice mods

Welcome to the org...

Trance
Old 02-13-2003, 03:31 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Take them for a ride. A maxima is very appealing. But if you want to modify it, dont worry about getting too nice of stuff with the car originally cause you will prob replace a lot of it.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:37 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

The 1997 Maxima was rated the most reliable premium mid-sized car by JD Power & Associates Long Term Dependability study.

http://www.jdpa.com/studies/pressrel...ID=585&CatID=1

Also, the Maxima has always been at or near the top of the Consumer Reports reliability studies, with the Accord, Camry, and Maxima all flip flopping between positions through the years, indicating that none of these cars are any more or less reliable than the other.

Old 02-13-2003, 07:32 AM

one of the best reasons why a maxima is a great choice for a used car is that the resale value is not sky high such as the honda/toyota. i've been a honda guy all my life and would only buy them new.

the maxima's resale value enables one to get a much nicer car for a much better price.

that's one of my only knocks on a maxima. the resale. but love my 97 se anyway. but also love my 2003 cl and 99 integra.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:04 AM

When i got my 97 max about 2 years ago, my parents had just bought a brand new 99 accord (vtech) About 2 month later my dad offered to trade cars with me, so id take the accord and still keep my 150/month car payment and hed take the max and keep his 400/month car payment on the accord. Both my parents thought that the maxima was built better and more sturdy. They regret not looking at the maxima. Id say let them drive a maxima and then the others... maybe they'll see what my rents saw
Old 02-13-2003, 11:38 AM

Get a consumers digest book for cars, show them the reliability rating on the maxima. If that along with the other things people showed you doesn't work, then you're SOL. But don't tell them it's fast.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:52 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by 96SE5Spd
Get a consumers digest book for cars, show them the reliability rating on the maxima. If that along with the other things people showed you doesn't work, then you're SOL. But don't tell them it's fast.
Tell them all about my family:
My mom got a new white '95 SE 5-speed in 1995 - got rid of it with 70k and no problems (in '98).
I got my rosewood '98 SE 5 speed in May of '98 - no problems I didn't cause (accident) and 75k miles on it.
My bro has a silver '98 SE 5 speed he got in July of '98 with 85k miles on it and no problems.
My sister has a green '99 SE auto with 50k on it and no problems.

The Maxima was (and still pretty much is) the best overall value on the market in terms of reliability/speed/fun vs. price.

I paid 10k for my 1990 Accord in ~1994 with 55k miles and if I was a kid getting my first car all over again, I would have picked the Maxima hands down.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:06 PM

Along with its other awards, the Maxima VQ engine has recieved the award for best V6 in the world for eight years running.

That isn't really a shallow boast.

Also, I bought my car with 12K on it in 99. It is now 2003 and I have over 130K on my car.

Excluding wear and tear items and regular maintenance, I have less than 200 bucks into repair costs on my maxima. That includes two broken antennaes (which could be considered normal wear and tear I guess).

My car sees 85+ every day on its 80 mile round trip commute.

Starts every time, idles smooth, and still smokes riced out Hondas.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:14 PM

Sorry, make that nine...

http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_bes...es_6/index.htm

Except for the VQ, no single engine, regardless of changes from one generation to the next, has amassed a string of nine consecutive Ward's 10 Best Engines awards. Although almost all mainstream automotive engines are designed for a long production run, precious few ever enjoy benchmark status, even when they're the newest engine in the market. Nissan's VQ continues as a benchmark nine years after its launch.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:23 PM

add...

In speaking of the VQ, Ward's said, "We've said it before and we'll say it again. There isn't a better V6 in automotivedom--regardless of price."

http://www.nis-knacks.com/reviews/reviews_r50.html
Old 02-13-2003, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the info guys, I think I have plenty of stuff about the Max now that they will atleast take it seriously now.

It's amazing that it has won the best v6 engine for 9 straight years. Let's all hope it works out for the best.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:07 PM
Handsome

Originally posted by SteVTEC
The 1997 Maxima was rated the most reliable premium mid-sized car by JD Power & Associates Long Term Dependability study.

http://www.jdpa.com/studies/pressrel...ID=585&CatID=1

Also, the Maxima has always been at or near the top of the Consumer Reports reliability studies, with the Accord, Camry, and Maxima all flip flopping between positions through the years, indicating that none of these cars are any more or less reliable than the other.

Other good reviews, the first (Ward's 2001) is in 5th gen territory but the rest are about the 4th gen

Ward's Auto World, January 2001 - For the seventh year in a row, Nissan's VQ motor--which powers the new Pathfinder, Maxima/Infiniti I30 and the new Z--was named to Ward's Auto World's "Ten Best Engines of the Year" award list. The VQ is the only engine in the world to receive the award every year since the list has been compiled. In speaking of the VQ, Ward's said, "We've said it before and we'll say it again. There isn't a better V6 in automotivedom--regardless of price." Joining the VQ on the list were powerplants from Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Honda, Toyota, Ford and GM

Motor Trend, Road Test, June 1994

"The test gear must be screwed up. Zero to 60 in 6.6 seconds? No way!" It took nearly a dozen acceleration runs, two sets of fifth wheels, and three drivers to confirm what non of us could believe: This demure-looking family car is the quickest Japanese sedan available in the States."

Ask us, and we'll tell you how the Maxima SE will whip the Nissan 300ZX, Integra GS-R and Taurus SHO in 0-60 mph and quarter-mile acceleration-and how it challenges or, in some cases, exceeds their handling marks, too."

"Our tester, a five-speed SE version of this fourth generation of Maxima, produced a blazing 6.6-second 0-60-mph time, a 15.2-second, 92.4-mph quarter-mile run, 0.83g skidpad cornering power and a 65.1-mph slalom run. That tops the Taurus SHO five-speed in every category. The new Maxima shows no mercy on its Nissan stablemates: It'll stomp the normally aspirated 300ZX, and drivers of automatic-transmissioned 300ZX Turbos best not be snoozing when the light goes green."

Automobile Magazine, September 1995 - Four Seasons Test

"The Nissan Maxima has one of the world's truly great engines….There are few cars that I will unhesitatingly recommend to someone who is looking for a new car. I put the Nissan Maxima into that category the first time I drove one. After our four-season experience, it is still in that category."

Automobile Magazine, 1995

"We were not ready for the Maxima SE. It just knocked us out. We expected refinement and maturity that come with a freshly redesigned car, but we weren't expecting greatness."

Motor Trend, February 1995

One of the technical high points of the '95 Maxima is its new V-6 engine, which is standard in all models. This new VQ powerplant is similar in configuration to the VG-series it replaces: Both are 3.0-liter 24-valve DOHC 60-degree sixes. But that's where the parallels end. The revolutionary VQ is smaller, lighter, cleaner, cheaper to build, and easier to maintain. It also makes more power and torque yet delivers better fuel economy."

Awards: (For 95)

Motor Trend Import Car of the Year February 1995

Automobile Magazine All-Stars List February 1995

Car & Driver Ten Best Cars January 1995
Old 02-13-2003, 11:24 PM

Holy **** man, that's awesome stuff. I'll probably show all that to my dad, except for the 0-60mph in 6.6 seconds, he doesn't need to know about that one They will for sure let me get one of these bad boys once I show them all this information.

Thanks again for the help.

Originally posted by Street Reeper

Other good reviews, the first (Ward's 2001) is in 5th gen territory but the rest are about the 4th gen

Ward's Auto World, January 2001 - For the seventh year in a row, Nissan's VQ motor--which powers the new Pathfinder, Maxima/Infiniti I30 and the new Z--was named to Ward's Auto World's "Ten Best Engines of the Year" award list. The VQ is the only engine in the world to receive the award every year since the list has been compiled. In speaking of the VQ, Ward's said, "We've said it before and we'll say it again. There isn't a better V6 in automotivedom--regardless of price." Joining the VQ on the list were powerplants from Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Honda, Toyota, Ford and GM

Motor Trend, Road Test, June 1994

"The test gear must be screwed up. Zero to 60 in 6.6 seconds? No way!" It took nearly a dozen acceleration runs, two sets of fifth wheels, and three drivers to confirm what non of us could believe: This demure-looking family car is the quickest Japanese sedan available in the States."

Ask us, and we'll tell you how the Maxima SE will whip the Nissan 300ZX, Integra GS-R and Taurus SHO in 0-60 mph and quarter-mile acceleration-and how it challenges or, in some cases, exceeds their handling marks, too."

"Our tester, a five-speed SE version of this fourth generation of Maxima, produced a blazing 6.6-second 0-60-mph time, a 15.2-second, 92.4-mph quarter-mile run, 0.83g skidpad cornering power and a 65.1-mph slalom run. That tops the Taurus SHO five-speed in every category. The new Maxima shows no mercy on its Nissan stablemates: It'll stomp the normally aspirated 300ZX, and drivers of automatic-transmissioned 300ZX Turbos best not be snoozing when the light goes green."

Automobile Magazine, September 1995 - Four Seasons Test

"The Nissan Maxima has one of the world's truly great engines….There are few cars that I will unhesitatingly recommend to someone who is looking for a new car. I put the Nissan Maxima into that category the first time I drove one. After our four-season experience, it is still in that category."

Automobile Magazine, 1995

"We were not ready for the Maxima SE. It just knocked us out. We expected refinement and maturity that come with a freshly redesigned car, but we weren't expecting greatness."

Motor Trend, February 1995

One of the technical high points of the '95 Maxima is its new V-6 engine, which is standard in all models. This new VQ powerplant is similar in configuration to the VG-series it replaces: Both are 3.0-liter 24-valve DOHC 60-degree sixes. But that's where the parallels end. The revolutionary VQ is smaller, lighter, cleaner, cheaper to build, and easier to maintain. It also makes more power and torque yet delivers better fuel economy."

Awards: (For 95)

Motor Trend Import Car of the Year February 1995

Automobile Magazine All-Stars List February 1995

Car & Driver Ten Best Cars January 1995
Old 02-14-2003, 06:21 AM

I was going to say something about that, the 0 to 60 times, they are NOT going to like. That may be why they are stuck on Accords and Camrys (sp?) You can get both of them with a 4 banger! My daughter is 16 and I gave her a choice of 2 diff. Maximas a 96SE (white bone stock w/sunroof) or a 97 GLE that had all the stuff on it to look just like an SE (spoiler, white gauges, etc) no sunroof and it was sage mist green. I told her I'll take which ever one you don't want. She took the White 96SE (I really wanted that one) but I let her have it. Mine now has so many mods I would not give it up, but I love the white color!! Good luck on convincing your parents, tell them I gave my daughter one, cause I think its a safer car, (power is a good thing used right!!) It's paid for, so I just carry minimum insurance on it. I told her "you hit anything, another car, stationary object...anything and you have to pay to fix it, or if you total it, you better start saving your money cause I'm only giving you one car!" liability for her is only about 290.00 every 6 months adding her to our main policy, if I had done full coverage it would have been 4 times that every 6 months. That is why she only has liability.....hope she doesen't have an accident where its her fault! She will be out one car if they were to total it...of course I would be more worried about her than the car....but she would hate to loose it. That I know!
Good Luck
2Maximas
Old 02-16-2003, 11:44 PM

Re: Help me convince my parents a Maxima is a good choice!

Originally posted by mr2good
I'm going to get a car this summer. My parents are going to help me pay for some of it, so they have a say in what I get. That's not really important.

I need you guys to help me prove to my parents that a Maxima really is a nice, reliable car. They are so stuck on Honda's and Toyota's that they do not want to believe that any other manufacturer is as reliable as they are. I know the Maxima has won a lot of awards. Anyone know a website where I can find what awards it has won? Can you think of anything I can tell/show them that will make them know that I want this car for other reasons than its looks?

I'm looking to get 4th generation Maxima. I think I will be able to get about 7-8 grand total between me and my folks. I want an SE cuz of the nice alloy's it comes with. Any advice on what kind of Maxima I should be able to get in that price range.

Thanks for the help.
4 doors.

Insurance is less than other cars (better call around for proof and compare it to Mustangs and Camaro's).

Reliable.

"Only" a 3.0L six cylinder.

Gas mileage isn't too bad.
You can change your own oil ( can't you)?
No grease fittings to worry about.

Your parents would look good in it when they borrow it (or take it away from you).

Someone else has already taken the big hit on resale value, so you won't loose much if you ever sell it.

Back seat is almost to small to have anything but kinky sex in it. Wait, skip that one.

I hope this is not your parents asking this question.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:24 AM
AssyrianRacer

AHAH

This is how I convinced my Dad last september to give me that 4th Gen 99 GLE for my Birthday.

It had been a long summer, asking and asking, When are you guys gonna get me my car, everytime my dad promised in a week or something i would get in trouble or something, ( I think the Trouble was part of My Dads Delayment Plan) So Here comes September and I bother him about the car I want, I was aiming for something cheap yet fast and capable, the OTHER choices were a 2.5 RS, An SVX, a Legacy GT 2.5, a 626, MX6, Old RX7, Old 3d gen Maxima, and cars along that line. He tells me NO, 4 Cylnders are weak!, i tell him thats how the japanese designed them, so time passes by, and my birthday is a week and a half away, so then he promises he is gonna by me a car, but nothing under 12g's, ThE SHOCK ON MY FACE WAS OF CRASYNESS, I was hoping to get a pimped out car, So we go to the Dealer on the last Saterday of the month (I think it was the 24th) The first Nissan dealer we go to is Star Nissan, They tryed to rip us off like nothing so my dad rejected there asses, We went to a dodge dealer and I was going to the guy you guys have any Imports? The guy said yeh we have some HONDAS, I had a disgruntled face and i looked that ****ty little Civic LX, it had plastic hubbys and the front right rim was a Alloy wheel of a Ford Probe or something, I SCREAM INSIDE MY HEAD, and I tell my dad lets go to the other Nissan dealer b4 they close, it turns out they were closing right then, one of the guys there used to work at the Nissan dealer we were heded too so he called them up and told them to wait for just us and to give us a good deal. So we get there and I SEE THIS NICE @$$ red 5spd Maxima, I was in heaver, the car also had clear bumper lights, and some other light mods, But my dad said no I dont want stick shift, cause your gonna go like VROOOM VROOM ALL the time, I was sadend, One of the workers there took us into the show room and into his office and asked us basic questions, How much you willing to spend, trade in or not, then the Boss that the guy from Dodge had talked to came in and told the guy to show us his best 4th Gen Maxima, When i saw it i was amazed @ its vibrance, My freind had one with an exhaust and some other mods but had recently mooved to AZ, His car was so fast, so I knew this car had potential to be fast (I Didnt know how much potential untill i actually started to race) So my dad took it for a test drive and he wasnt use to the ride yet, IT WAS SO SMOOTH and nice, BOSE AHHAAHHAHAHA, so my dad started to negotiate with the guy, We had a 96 Corsica for a Trade in, They told us that the Maxima was selling for 18.5 gs, and the guy said 250 for the trade in, My dad said to the guy, ARE YOU CRASY MAN? So after hours of negotiating We got the price to go down to a total of 13.2 Gz with a trade in, My dad said no its still too much, and we got up and started to walk out, they said common its so cheap, Then We left and staretd driving home, I was pleading with my dad TURN AROUND, I love that car kummon, Im a good kid I never do anything wrong, so then I told him Ill go in there and offer the guy 13 gz and they said no, so the Main owner comes and says common you have a good kid, he makes good grades and has never been arested, and my dad said ok fine and we got the car, THAT was one of the best days of my life. All together with tax and extended bumper to bumper waranty it came out to be 16.5 gz

Old 02-17-2003, 09:39 AM

I am SURE your parents will want you to have as fast of a car as possible LOL..so get a 95-96 if you can. It will probably be better suited to your price range and then you have better opportunity for modding. A few have gone 14.6 quarter mile with just an intake.
GET A 5spd!!!!!!!!!!! You'll regret it if you don't...seems like so many are doing the auto to 5spd conversion(which is a costly affair)
And about the wheels, if you want 97-99 SE wheels just buy them after you get the car, dont worry about getting them with the car. I sold my 4 rims a few days back for $220 with 2 near new tires...it isnt that hard to find a deal and you will be spending less money then HAVING to get a '97 or later model.

LASTLY see if you can find a good deal, especially cause these cars hold their value VERY well. I was at Nissan the other day and they offered me $10k for my car when I bought it a year ago for $9750. The manager said they would have absolutely no problem reselling it because quote, "EVERYBODY loves these cars."

TRU. TRU.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:08 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Help me convince my parents a Maxima is a good choice!

The VQ engine has been on the top 10 engine list every year it's been in production!

ZuM

Originally posted by mr2good

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:57 PM

I was in the same situation sort of but my parents actually suggested a Maxima to me since they had an 87 that was reliable and they wanted it to be a big safe car. Luckily it wasn't till the test drive they found out how fast they are and by that time they already promised me one so they couldn't turn back. Whatever you do don't tell them about the 0-60 and about all the awards the engine has won. Focus completely on reliability and the fact that it will be cheaper than an accord or camry.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by RapidMax
Whatever you do don't tell them about the 0-60 and about all the awards the engine has won. Focus completely on reliability and the fact that it will be cheaper than an accord or camry.
I say show them the engine awards. Just the ones YOU want them to see...not for performance.
A good engine is never a bad thing.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:31 AM

When I was 15 and looking at cars, my Dad said I could buy any car I wanted as soon as I got my licence. Cool Dad, huh? I was a good kid. Good grades, no drugs, no trouble. All he asked me to do was work my *** off and earn enough money to pay cash for the car, and be able to pay for the insurance too. If the car broke, it was up to me to fix it myself.
So thats what I did: I worked in the woods logging 14 hours a day all summer long and I bought my own car. I worked after school to pay for the car, gas, insurance, upkeep, and the girls. That was 25 years ago. And I guess appreciated earning that car so much, I still have it parked out back.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Bgohan
cool story...left out 2 things...what kind of car? and what was your purpose for telling it?

25 years ago they didnt have airbags...today they do. that is why my parents gave me a few grand to help me towards my Maxima purchase. they wouldnt allow me to have anything without airbags. I will eventually pay them back but its a sweet no interest loan.