4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

SE vs GLE

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 02:06 PM

SE vs GLE

What are the differences between a GLE and an Se with leather interior?Are the engines the same?Did nissan make a GLE 5speed?I just totaled my 3rd Gen. max and I'm going to upgrade to a 4th Gen.I don't know much about the 4ths.The 3rds had several common problems,window regulators,power antenna, Bose speakers,The ticking on the dohc engines etc. etc.Are their any common problems on the 4th generations?I wnat a 5 speed but if I can't find one how reliable are the automatics? Thanks PS If anyone knows of a 5speed with leather near the southeast let me know.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:19 PM

Ok there are way to many questons in this one thread and half of them could be awnsered with the search function. But i will awnser a couple. First off yes all the engines are the same (a 190 HP VQ), GLE's only come in automatics. As for the automatics i have heard that they are not as realable as the 5 speeds. I would personally look for a 5 speed SE. That is what i am looking for. For one you can get a 5 speed with it, and secondly it comes with a spolier, white faced gauges, foglights, stiffer suspesion, alloy wheels, and some other nice features that make the car look better. To break the trim level down basicly the GXE is the base model of the max, The SE is the sport model, and the GLE is the luxery model.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:24 PM
I'm so hood

I personally never understood the GLE. It was like a "standardized SE-with-all-the-options but with the visual accents of the most minima-ist possible, the base model GXE".

You can get an SE with all the options of a GLE, plus in my eyes, the factory add-on wood kit for the SEs is of higher quality than the not-so-impressive stock wood trim in the GLEs. Plus you can get a 5-speed SE, and not a GLE...and personally an automatic maxima wasn't even in consideration for me.

The main thing is the rarity of a niec 5-speed SE with all options, if all options is what you want. But with some hunting they can be found. Good luck if that's the route you decide to take!
Old 02-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Sports Button FTW

DIFFERENCES:

GLE COMES WITH EVERYTHING SE and GXE come with plus more. Except a few differences like SE has colored door handles, GLE and GXE have chrome.

As far as internal features, the MOST FEATUREd SE is only a GLE standard. Gxe's vary depending on what you want, but they all have same hp, same torque, the SE and GXE, more likely GXE are known to be a little lighter because of NO ABS and stuff, but they are all the same. I have a FULLY LOADED SE, auto climate, leather, the whole 9 and its exactly like my 95 GLE. only bad thing about GLE is it doesnt come in stick, only auto
Old 02-14-2003, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma
I personally never understood the GLE. It was like a "standardized SE-with-all-the-options but with the visual accents of the most minima-ist possible, the base model GXE".

You can get an SE with all the options of a GLE, plus in my eyes, the factory add-on wood kit for the SEs is of higher quality than the not-so-impressive stock wood trim in the GLEs. Plus you can get a 5-speed SE, and not a GLE...and personally an automatic maxima wasn't even in consideration for me.

The main thing is the rarity of a niec 5-speed SE with all options, if all options is what you want. But with some hunting they can be found. Good luck if that's the route you decide to take!
Thanks for the help, The reason I ask about a 5 speed GLE is I found a 5 speed in another state.The guy has it advertised as a GLE.He's foreign so I can't understand him on the phone well enough for him to tell me what it is.I think it must be an SE because it's a "97" 5 speed with leather.I do want all the options.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:13 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

This is all covered in the FAQ