4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What do you guys do to control rust??

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

What do you guys do to control rust??

Almost all of my exhaust system has a good amount of surface rust. Is there anything I can do to remove or slow down the rusting process? I was thinking about using naval jelly to remove the existing rust then following up with some kind of coating. What products are out there to protect the exhaust system from rust? I drive around Lake Tahoe quite a bit during the winter so I have tons of road salt underneath the car. Every once in a while I spray the underside down with a hose but this doesn't seem to be enough. I know painting any part of the exhaust is a waste of time. I know many of you live in areas that snow. What do you guys do?
Old 02-17-2003, 03:28 PM
Sin

Re: What do you guys do to control rust??

Originally posted by kchida
Almost all of my exhaust system has a good amount of surface rust. Is there anything I can do to remove or slow down the rusting process? I was thinking about using naval jelly to remove the existing rust then following up with some kind of coating. What products are out there to protect the exhaust system from rust? I drive around Lake Tahoe quite a bit during the winter so I have tons of road salt underneath the car. Every once in a while I spray the underside down with a hose but this doesn't seem to be enough. I know painting any part of the exhaust is a waste of time. I know many of you live in areas that snow. What do you guys do?
If you think it's bad on the outside, the inside is worse. Especially if you are in Canada. The sulphur and NO in the exhaust mixes with the water vapour to make pretty strong acids that eat out exhausts from the inside out. In Canada, we have higher sulphur content because our laws regarding sulphur content in gasoline are less strict, primarily because we have much fewer cars per area. And again, most exhausts rust from the inside out. So if you are worried about it rusting, not much you can do.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:05 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Re: What do you guys do to control rust??

Originally posted by kchida
The answer is 304 stainless steel.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:16 PM

Or buy catbacks...(not that I would know)...
Old 02-17-2003, 05:52 PM

Lets not forget about the rest of the car where it can rust due to the salt. It doesnt hurt to get it rust proofed, where they spray every nook and cranny on the car. As for the exhaust I know that the moisture build up does cause it to rust from the inside out like Sin said, and that if you drive short distances on a daily basis will cause the exaust to rust faster cause it doesnt allow for the moisture to evaporate
Old 02-17-2003, 06:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

best way to control rust:

petition to get city to use magnesium chloride
Old 02-17-2003, 07:28 PM
CaLSoNiC

I live in the desert... we get like 9 inches of rain a year.
All I gotta worry about is massive dust. :P
Move to New Mexico... your rust problem should be solved.