4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Install Headunit, AC don't help help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 05:45 PM

Install Headunit, AC don't help help

I just finish installing my headunit and now the AC don't work. Before I Install the unit it work perfecty, usually when i turn on the ac the cold air come out in 10secnd. Now is nothing but warm air. I plug all the necesesay wire but there is 2 extra wire with plugs i do not know where to plug in to, maybe i pull it too hard when i took out the headunit. But there is 2 extra wire plug hanging out, the wire is next to the headunit wire on the bottom of the dash.. Im pretty sure is becasue the wire doesn't work but i have no idea where to connect them to.

can any one please help me... does any one know where i can get a diagram of the wires for the ac? I did a search on the org but it didn't help.. so please a little help would be great

thanks
jason
Old 02-18-2003, 11:02 PM

Re: Install Headunit, AC don't help help

Originally posted by AuToMaX_95
I just finish installing my headunit and now the AC don't work. Before I Install the unit it work perfecty, usually when i turn on the ac the cold air come out in 10secnd. Now is nothing but warm air. I plug all the necesesay wire but there is 2 extra wire with plugs i do not know where to plug in to, maybe i pull it too hard when i took out the headunit. But there is 2 extra wire plug hanging out, the wire is next to the headunit wire on the bottom of the dash.. Im pretty sure is becasue the wire doesn't work but i have no idea where to connect them to.

can any one please help me... does any one know where i can get a diagram of the wires for the ac? I did a search on the org but it didn't help.. so please a little help would be great

thanks
jason
Are you saying the wires came out of the plug/harness, or the plugs came out of the unit? If the the plugs came out, they should fit in where they belong. All the plugs behind the dash are of different sizes and only fit into their respective unit, which means it is highly unlikely to mess anything up during install/uninstall. If you have access to a Hayne's manual, look at the wiring scemes for all the different color codes of the wires in the A/C unit. This should help. If I were you, I would take the dash apart again to double check all the wiring.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:10 PM

Re: Re: Install Headunit, AC don't help help

Originally posted by MIXXMAX
Are you saying the wires came out of the plug/harness, or the plugs came out of the unit? If the the plugs came out, they should fit in where they belong. All the plugs behind the dash are of different sizes and only fit into their respective unit, which means it is highly unlikely to mess anything up during install/uninstall. If you have access to a Hayne's manual, look at the wiring scemes for all the different color codes of the wires in the A/C unit. This should help. If I were you, I would take the dash apart again to double check all the wiring.
the wires came out of the plug/harness and i did double check but i still couldn't find out where the extra 2 plug belong.. i mean everythig on the dash that has a wire plug opening are all full. I can't not find out where the extra 2 plug go..=(
Old 02-19-2003, 12:30 AM

Re: Install Headunit, AC don't help help

Do you have digital climate controls? Not sure about your car(I have the regular controls). Most cars with digital climate controls have a temperature sensor. You might see some small slits in your dash. If the temp sensor is unplugged your Ac / heat won't work.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:46 AM

Re: Re: Install Headunit, AC don't help help

Originally posted by C3nthusiast
Do you have digital climate controls? Not sure about your car(I have the regular controls). Most cars with digital climate controls have a temperature sensor. You might see some small slits in your dash. If the temp sensor is unplugged your Ac / heat won't work.

I have the regulaer controls, and my heat works fine, and I double check many times, but i have no idea where they suppose to go.

No one has a diagram of the AC control??
Old 02-19-2003, 09:43 AM

It would be good to invest in a haynes manual right about now.

Just to clarify ... let's throw in a few technical words to avoid ambiguity.

Connector: plastic housing that houses terminals
Terminal: metal bar crimped on to wire, that fits in to the connector housing.

When you say you have two '?' but you can't find where they go, do you mean you have two complete connectors? Or just two terminals (metal bar crimped on wire) all by itself?
Old 02-19-2003, 05:20 PM

Originally posted by pocketrocket
It would be good to invest in a haynes manual right about now.

Just to clarify ... let's throw in a few technical words to avoid ambiguity.

Connector: plastic housing that houses terminals
Terminal: metal bar crimped on to wire, that fits in to the connector housing.

When you say you have two '?' but you can't find where they go, do you mean you have two complete connectors? Or just two terminals (metal bar crimped on wire) all by itself?
sorry is a terminal... not a connector.. i can't find any where for the terminal to fit the connecter..
Old 02-19-2003, 08:18 PM

How do you know there are no open cavities in the connector? When a termianl gets pulled out of the connector, it comes out clean and just 'vacates' the cavity is used to occupy.

Does not make sense ...

Let's go over the facts:
1) All circuits to the same connecotr are bundled together (by tape, corrugated tube, vinyl tube, etc) so if terminals are accidentally pulled out of their connector, you can still 'guess' which connector they came from.

See where the two circuits branch from, if they are in a bundle ... you have found the connector.

2) Is the terminal male or female? I am going to guess female.
Male terminal is flat.
Female terminal is rolled in at the end, to form a semi-cavity.

3) Non-waterproof connectors are used inside, typically one of three types of terminals. First one is a really fine terminal (easily bendable), second type is wider, third type is even wider.

If you can narrow down the terminal to the connector you 'suspect', then disconnect the connector and look inside ... you see a hole with adjacent terminals of the same shape, you found your source. Of course, you have two loose terminals, so I have no idea how to tell the correct pinout if the terminals are the exact same.

By the way, all connectors have a locking assembly (TPA) that keep the terminals in the connector. The terminal must have somehow gotten pulled out and it probably won't go in so easy unless you release the locking assembly. I could try to help you, but you need to do as much as identify the connector the terminals came from.