4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Speedometer drops to Zero while Driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 05:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Speedometer drops to Zero while Driving

OK, so I installed reverse Indiglo Gauges(The ones that have the Red and blue, not the all indigo ones) about 4 months ago, and I have yet to have any sort of problem with them till tonight. I was driving home from college, and I noticed that while I was doing about 30 my speedometer was reading 0. I waited to see if it would fix itself, (it had done this once before for a second, and then fixed itself) This time however it just stayed at zero. I broke that clear Bezel when Installed them so right now there is nothing between me and the actual Gauges themselves, sooo I reached in and tapped the area between the Tac, and the spd. and sure enough it jumped to life. Now im thinking it could be one of two things. Either my Gauge cluster beginning to break or a wire is lose somewhere. Another thought that crossed my mind is the way that I hooked up the gauges. I know the HOW 2 says to attach it to the dimmer light wire, but my buddy who did his Altima had a better way. We hooked it up to the actual gauge cluster, that is we found the + and - screw in the back of the Cluster and hooked the two wire for the transformer up to them. The only down side to this is that they Indiglo is on ALL the time, but that is good for if you drive though a dark spot, like a tunnel. Sooo What im getting at with all this is ...

1)Has anyone else had a similar problem with their Speedometer after installing these or any other Indiglo gauges?
2) is this something I should be worried about?
3) Should I changed how its wired? (IE hook it up to the dimmer light)
Old 02-19-2003, 05:35 PM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: Speedometer drops to Zero while Driving

Sounds like you have sticky guage syndrom... push down on the guage itself while accelerating if you can, and see if it rises normally..
Old 02-19-2003, 05:45 PM

Re: Re: Speedometer drops to Zero while Driving

Originally posted by seximagtr
Sounds like you have sticky guage syndrom... push down on the guage itself while accelerating if you can, and see if it rises normally..
the Indiglo guage face is fairly flush with the stock one. I used really thin 3M double sided tape to apply it
Old 02-19-2003, 07:34 PM

Re: Re: Re: Speedometer drops to Zero while Driving

I have the Initial-K indiglo gauges and they were thick enough to rub even WITHOUT tape. They sit fine now, but it took them about a year and a half of sitting to settle.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:43 PM

ya but see the whole thing is when i noticed that the guage wasn't working, id didn't touch the actual Guage face, i tapped that Black plastic that goes over/around them (not sure what its called) but it has the circular cut outs. By tapping that im not sure it would fix a contact issue, it seems that its more of a conectional thing. Do you think im running a risk of messing something up with the way i have it drawing power from the cluster, and not that dimmer light?
Old 02-19-2003, 09:30 PM

Old 02-19-2003, 10:34 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Re: Speedometer drops to Zero while Driving

Originally posted by Norel
OK, so I installed reverse Indiglo Gauges(The ones that have the Red and blue, not the all indigo ones) about 4 months ago, and I have yet to have any sort of problem with them till tonight. I was driving home from college, and I noticed that while I was doing about 30 my speedometer was reading 0. I waited to see if it would fix itself, (it had done this once before for a second, and then fixed itself) This time however it just stayed at zero. I broke that clear Bezel when Installed them so right now there is nothing between me and the actual Gauges themselves, sooo I reached in and tapped the area between the Tac, and the spd. and sure enough it jumped to life. Now im thinking it could be one of two things. Either my Gauge cluster beginning to break or a wire is lose somewhere. Another thought that crossed my mind is the way that I hooked up the gauges. I know the HOW 2 says to attach it to the dimmer light wire, but my buddy who did his Altima had a better way. We hooked it up to the actual gauge cluster, that is we found the + and - screw in the back of the Cluster and hooked the two wire for the transformer up to them. The only down side to this is that they Indiglo is on ALL the time, but that is good for if you drive though a dark spot, like a tunnel. Sooo What im getting at with all this is ...

1)Has anyone else had a similar problem with their Speedometer after installing these or any other Indiglo gauges?
2) is this something I should be worried about?
3) Should I changed how its wired? (IE hook it up to the dimmer light)
Had that problem with a van i used to drive: On cold days the speedometer wouldn't work unless the van was fully warmed up.

You say there's nothing between you and the gauges? Maybe that's your problem.