4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Nose Mask, Car Bra paint damage question

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 10:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nose Mask, Car Bra paint damage question

I recently bought a nose mask for my 99 SE Limited from courtesy parts. The problem I have with it is that the instructions state
that everytime the bra gets wet you have to remove it and
let it dry.. And the front of the car has to be completely dry.
This is because the fabric on the underside of the bra absorbs water
and it will cause paint damage. oxidation.
So to me this is a hassle. Does this mean that when my car sits overnight, I have to take off the mask every night so that the morning dew won't make it wet? If you have one of these how
often do you take it off before it starts causing your paint
to cloud? Is there any other nose mask or car bra available that
does not require removal whenever it gets wet?

thanks
Old 02-20-2003, 12:30 PM

i've had one for about five months now no problems yet.. i just take it off everytime i wash my car and make sure i wash the bra and the part of the hood under the bra thoroughly and wax the hood afterwards.. but i've had people say that it has messed up their paint and they've had to rebuff their hood again.. oh well.. im happy with mine.. it gives it a mean look..
Old 02-20-2003, 12:36 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Why would your car be wet every morning? Dew usually doesn't accumulate under the mask. Just check it in the mornings. If it's excessively wet, take it off.

The mask is in two parts, the hood part comes off with just 2 hooks, takes about 30 seconds to remove it if it's moist.

I've had my mask for 2 years, never had a problem with it. My paint is in great shape, no nicks from road sand blasting. I usually use the mask when I'm on trips. Around town I don't use it that much, or sometimes I only use the hood part for looks.

Old 02-20-2003, 12:40 PM
I'm so hood

As far as I know this is pretty standard fare with all vinyl-ish nose protectors. I think some products like the clear 3M rock-protectant 'strips' aren't subject to this issue, but some of those have their own paint concerns.

Morning dew isn't a big issue I don't think. If you're concerned, leave it on overnight and feel the material on the inside. If it's notably wet then you might have cause for concern.

I think its more for when the nosemask gets saturated. I always took mine off my acura before washes and rainstorms, and if I got caught in some rain, I'd hang it up in the garage to dry out, and then would armor-all it up and put it back on.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:46 PM

http://www.magnetbra.com/

The only bras guaranteed not to damage your paint
i've heard they're good. i'm considering getting one myself.
Old 02-20-2003, 12:51 PM
aka UNCDooD

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
i love that pic of your car. soooooo clean. looks awesome.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by blizz20oma

I think its more for when the nosemask gets saturated. I always took mine off my acura before washes and rainstorms, and if I got caught in some rain, I'd hang it up in the garage to dry out, and then would armor-all it up and put it back on.
I've had the Nissan mask on almost continuously since I bought my 99 GXE off the lot new. I just take it off when I wash/wax the car and put it back on after cleaning off the backing, and the paint under there looks as good as new. No scratching, fading, hazing, etc... Just make sure you put a good coat of wax on there when you take it off and you *should* be okay. No guarantees if you park in the sun all day every day, though.

I figured even if there was a little faded line where the mask was, I could buff it off for free instead of having to pay someone to fix the paint chips, rust, etc... from all the rock chips we pick up daily. (Roads here aren't so great).

Aloha,

Quack 2x