4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Any all motor guys in the 13's....

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 05:04 PM

Any all motor guys in the 13's....

Hey, although I dont have a Maxima yet I'm definately trying to get a 4th gen ASAP once I sell my Eclipse. Im seeing a couple high 13 second 1/4 mile times on the forum but Im wondering where all the all motor guru's. I haven't noticed anyone w/ cams or any major engine work. JWT's site had cams so do people not recommend them or what.
Mods Id do...
Y-Pipe, Exhaust, Popcharger, Cams, Full Suspension, clutch, flywheel, LSD, throttle body, ECU upgrade, some 17's or 18's and Port and Polish Intake Manifold or buy an aftermarket one. Hoping I could get into the low 13's w/ these mods. Im used to dumping a decent ammount of cash into my Eclipse so its not a problem although Ill spread everything out. Not trying to do any forced induction w/ this car.
How realistic are my goals for low 13's and is anyone out there past the I/E/Ypipe stage. TIA
-Dave
Old 02-20-2003, 05:10 PM
LeX
Nissan by Nature

low 13s... you'd most likely be best picking up a turbo, you can do low 13s at low boost levels on a maxima, so you wont have to worry about boosting 16+ psi or anything like that. YOu should be able to see 300+ at the wheels with ~8psi.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:18 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

Re: Any all motor guys in the 13's....

Originally posted by Ispool4u
Hey, although I dont have a Maxima yet I'm definately trying to get a 4th gen ASAP once I sell my Eclipse. Im seeing a couple high 13 second 1/4 mile times on the forum but Im wondering where all the all motor guru's. I haven't noticed anyone w/ cams or any major engine work. JWT's site had cams so do people not recommend them or what.
Mods Id do...
Y-Pipe, Exhaust, Popcharger, Cams, Full Suspension, clutch, flywheel, LSD, throttle body, ECU upgrade, some 17's or 18's and Port and Polish Intake Manifold or buy an aftermarket one. Hoping I could get into the low 13's w/ these mods. Im used to dumping a decent ammount of cash into my Eclipse so its not a problem although Ill spread everything out. Not trying to do any forced induction w/ this car.
How realistic are my goals for low 13's and is anyone out there past the I/E/Ypipe stage. TIA
-Dave
A fairly light 4th gen 5-speed with intake, Y-pipe, cat-back, slicks, an a good driver can get into the 13's. I believe the VI and ECU upgrade will be needed for 13's on street tires. I could be proved wrong on this but it's generally correct.
There are guys who have the cams but no one has really given up any info about them.

***Edit*** Did not realize you said low 13's****Edit****
Old 02-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't want to start a ****ing match here, so no one take me wrong here... but I kinda chuckled when I read Modified, 13 Seconds, and Reliable all in the same sentence.

Like I said, not saying it can't be done... just not something you hear every day.

As for the Max... I don't think you are going to see 13 seconds in a Max for the same money you could get a DSM to do it. But at least you won't have to deal with crank walk and the declining reliability of a DSM as you modify it. (My only first-hand experience is with 1Gs sans the crank walk so... take it with a grain of salt)

To catch up to my buddies GSX (in the dry anyway) I would almost have to skip right to a turbo... and as soon as I bought it, I would be way ahead of him in modification costs.

A Max would be a killer sleeper with a turbo though, especially compared to an Eclipse GS with a turbo...
Old 02-20-2003, 08:12 PM

Actually with the mods I listed the Max would still be very streetable. Obviously it wont be as reliable as it was when it was stock. No bottom end work, stock compression and NO head work except cams. Even if I didn't do cams and did everything else it should still be breaking 13.5. No one has answered if anyone makes throttle body or intake manifold. Also are JWT cams any good? There has to be someone on this board who has gone past basic mods. Turbo is definately not as streetable. Eventually the motor will need to be rebuilt. Even rebuilt motors need to be rebuilt after awhile. TIA
-Dave
Old 02-20-2003, 08:12 PM

Actually with the mods I listed the Max would still be very streetable. Obviously it wont be as reliable as it was when it was stock. No bottom end work, stock compression and NO head work except cams. Even if I didn't do cams and did everything else it should still be breaking 13.5. No one has answered if anyone makes throttle body or intake manifold. Also are JWT cams any good? There has to be someone on this board who has gone past basic mods. Turbo is definately not as streetable. Eventually the motor will need to be rebuilt. Even rebuilt motors need to be rebuilt after awhile. TIA
-Dave
Old 02-20-2003, 08:22 PM
SLOW

With the mods you listed and slicks you could get into low 13s. No one has cams on here that are N/A. No one on here has opened up the internals if they are N/A. Forced induction guys have, but not any all motor guys.

Throttle body: no aftermarket ones, no demonstrated need for one either

Intake manifold: no aftermarket BUT do a search for MEVI or VIM and it will open your eyes It's a stock nissan part, but not available in the USA, you have to purchase it overseas.

I'm still toying with the idea of cams but honestly I'm probably going to skip them this winter, be content with mid 13s on slicks and high 13s on street tires until fall and then most likely go forced induction. Who knows, that's all half a year away. IM me if you are on AIM anytime if you have any other questions, my IM is Nealoc187
Old 02-20-2003, 08:24 PM

Re: Any all motor guys in the 13's....

Originally posted by Ispool4u
Mods Id do...
-Dave
YES!!!!!!!! This can be done, and realitively cheap(compared to a full blown DSM project). Don't listen to those telling you it can't be done-or saying it's nearly impossible. I wont tell you how to do it because that's most of the fun, besides everyone here would call bull. Even though none of them are willing to 'seriously' try. Just remember that if you want reliability you will have to walk a thin line with the mods and the way you drive.
"To much of a good thing will turn into a bad thing."-What I mean is don't beat your car from stoplight to stoplight and you should be fine.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:25 PM
aka UNCDooD

Throttle body: Custom fit a pathfinder TB on there. I think its 70 mm compared to the 65 mm stock TB.

Intake Manifold: Do a search on MEVI. MASS amounts of info.

any other questions the FAQ should help at the top of the forum.

Hope you find a Maxima soon and have fun modding when you get it.

Old 02-20-2003, 08:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

NA..13s =

1. 5 speed
2. Short Throw
3. Y pipe
4. UDP
5. High Flow Cat or Test Pipe
6. CAI
7. Light 15 inchers
8. and 50 shot

and you will hit 13's ask Nealoc.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:41 PM
SLOW

Re: NA..13s =

Originally posted by krbga
1. 5 speed
2. Short Throw
3. Y pipe
4. UDP
6. CAI
7. Light 15 inchers
8. and 50 shot

No spray for me No STS, UDP or CAI either.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:46 PM
aka UNCDooD

1. 5 speed
2. Short Throw
3. Y pipe
4. UDP
6. CAI
7. Light 15 inchers
8. and 50 shot

if you spray you wouldn't be normally aspirated...
Old 02-20-2003, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by UNCDooD
Throttle body: Custom fit a pathfinder TB on there. I think its 70 mm compared to the 65 mm stock TB.

Intake Manifold: Do a search on MEVI. MASS amounts of info.

any other questions the FAQ should help at the top of the forum.

Hope you find a Maxima soon and have fun modding when you get it.

Try a Q45 TB. Not sure if the new body style has a larger one than the previous body style, but its worth a look see.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:56 PM

isn't there someone that has a 13 sec max using JWT POP/ECU and MEVI and Y-Pipe the person with the black maxima. Forgot his name
Old 02-20-2003, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by HTownMaxSE
isn't there someone that has a 13 sec max using JWT POP/ECU and MEVI and Y-Pipe the person with the black maxima. Forgot his name
Old 02-20-2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by HTownMaxSE
maybe he was juicing - i dont think thats still conisidered all motor though
Old 02-20-2003, 10:28 PM

8. and 50 shot
NONE OF THIS

5.=waste of money
8. 50 shot isnt NA

+++
Best mod to hit 13s NA= SKILLS (that you can ask nealoc about)
Old 02-21-2003, 05:36 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

maybe he was juicing - i dont think thats still conisidered all motor though
For the last time, he was NOT using nitrous!!!
Old 02-21-2003, 08:56 AM

I learned on my other post, in general section that your tranny have prolems.Guy said w/ LSD and an ACT clutch he blew his tranny 3 times in a year. Im not saying that this will happen w/ everyone and Im used to tranny problems. Come on I got a DSM. ha. Forced Induction would be nice but Id like to be different. As for nitrous I dont want it cause I dont wanna people asking "Dude you got NOS?". I got some learning to do but Im ready to listen as long as people realize Im not a typical noob asking to put a 300ZX motor in a Max or other dumb questions. I know a decent amount about turbo's already so many you guys could convince me to go turbo but I dunno. Thanks again
-Dave
Old 02-21-2003, 10:27 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

I would ignore anything from ericdwong as far as "tranny problems" go

1) Burnouts: CHECK
2) Donuts on trays: CHECK
3) Abusive driving: CHECK

I really wouldn't worry about it too much

As far as getting to 13's all-motor, it can be done, but just keep in mind that it's a stretch. Not only do you need a good strong Maxima, but you also need a decent track. Nealoc187 has always had one of the fastest 4G Maxima's, and he also has a good track. You can do all of these mods and you still might not get below a low-14.

There are no guarantee's.

Just keep that in mind

I would consider getting a 2002-2003 Maxima 6spd instead of 13's really are a set requirement. At least then you start off being able to run 14.2-14.5 instead of about 14.7-15.2
Old 02-21-2003, 10:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think going all motor is an excellent idea. Almost everyone nowaday is going for turbo, supercharger, or nitrous. Hardly anyone is doing all motor. That's why I like an all motor approach. However, to get faster on all motor with a Maxima is much harder to do than say a Civic. There is just a limited amount of stuff that's out there for us. In any case, good luck to you and welcome to the board.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:08 PM

I think 13s would be very easy to hit , if one were to own cams, and then all the bolt ons.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:22 PM

Just a piece of advice, when u buy ur max make sure you get a 95-96. Thats if you want to hit 13's NA, they are the lightest of the max's. Also you can buy a JWT ECU and raise the rev limiter which will make it much easier to hit 13's. Good luck with the maxima search.