4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wierd Problems - need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 11:02 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wierd Problems - need some help

Hi there.

I live in Canada (near Toronto) and have a 1995 Maxima SE (auto) with 200,000 KM (around 130,000 miles) on it and I am having a couple of really wired problems that the dealers can't seem to fix.

1. I seem to be burning a lot of gas lately. I thought that maybe I have an injector problem but I don't feel any hesitation nor do I smell any gas leaks.

2. In the summer time, when my car has been shutdown and sitting for a couple of hours, I will have a very hard time starting it - it takes forever to start (engine is cranking) or it will start but the engine seems to be searching for the proper idle revs (engines races and settles back down repeatedly). This is only when the outside temp is above 10 C (or above 50 F). After the car has warmed up, I can turn it off and on without any problems unless the engine cools down completely. This problem completely dissappears in the winter time.

Now recently I have had a complete major tume up done on the car and have put in some injector cleaner but this has not solved either issue. No dealer repair shop has been able to fix the problem.

I use the high octane gar (92) as specified by the manual.

Any ideas would be really helpful with the summer approaching.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2003, 12:20 PM

is the ecu throwin codes?
Old 02-22-2003, 12:29 PM
¿Hablas Español?

Re: Wierd Problems - need some help

Originally posted by hsdewan
Hi there.

I live in Canada (near Toronto) and have a 1995 Maxima SE (auto) with 200,000 KM (around 130,000 miles) on it and I am having a couple of really wired problems that the dealers can't seem to fix.

1. I seem to be burning a lot of gas lately. I thought that maybe I have an injector problem but I don't feel any hesitation nor do I smell any gas leaks.

2. In the summer time, when my car has been shutdown and sitting for a couple of hours, I will have a very hard time starting it - it takes forever to start (engine is cranking) or it will start but the engine seems to be searching for the proper idle revs (engines races and settles back down repeatedly). This is only when the outside temp is above 10 C (or above 50 F). After the car has warmed up, I can turn it off and on without any problems unless the engine cools down completely. This problem completely dissappears in the winter time.

Now recently I have had a complete major tume up done on the car and have put in some injector cleaner but this has not solved either issue. No dealer repair shop has been able to fix the problem.

I use the high octane gar (92) as specified by the manual.

Any ideas would be really helpful with the summer approaching.

Thanks
As noted in the previous post, check for any codes from the ECU. How
are your spark plugs? Were they replaced as part of the tune-up?
Did you clean your throttle body? Have you taken out and cleaned the
IACV? Does the behavior change if you have the A/C engaged? Did
your tuneup include replacing the PCV and air filter? You should
check each of those things if you didn't do the work yourself. Some
places will charge for it and not actually do the work.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:07 PM
Blazin......

I just had the same problem.

im thinking i just fixed mine,
I replace the KS, Engine collant temp sensor, oil pressure sensor, and fuel and air filter, all dealer plugs.
NONE of that crap fixed it, wasting money w/japan.

SO. You should search for the "fastidle" youll find information about this and your going to need to replace the plunger assembly for the timing chain.
Ive live with this no start in the morning, extreeme gas smell when starts, stalling after starting, excessive knocking, now my belts squeek and my headlights dim b/c of loss of power. (no its not the alternator).
try that search and keep my pm in touch till you fix the problem.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

According to my repair bill, the dealer repair shop replaced the plugs, the PCV and the air filter. According to the bill (which was over $500.00) the shop did a major tune-up. In restrospect, I will be checking the filter/plugs/other items when it warms up a bit (just had a major snow fall). Regarding the the A/C setting - it doesn't make a difference.

I don't think that the throttle body was claned - will get that done.

I'll do the search on the "fastidle" and see where this leads.

Unfortunatly, I can't go back to the dealer because they folded and someone else took it over - all warrentees were void!

Thanks for the feedback - I now have some direction in getting my car working properly.