4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Question about ABS...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 02:09 PM

Question about ABS...

I got a '99 GLE a couple months ago, and it's the first car I've had with anti lock brakes, so I'm not sure how they're supposed to act, but it sure seems like there's something wrong.

They kick in at weird times, like when I'm going 10 miles an hour slowing down for a turn. Sometimes they'll kick in when i'm coming up to an intersection, even though I'm going slow as hell. This morning they prevented me from stopping in time, and I went out past the stop sign, luckily no one was coming. I was going very slow as well. I'd understand if I was going a bit fast, but I'm not at all, and at this point they're a lot more likely to cause an accident than prevent one.

Anyone know what the problem is? Is there a fuse I can just take out to have normal brakes, cause this is really a pain in the ***. Thanks for any help!
Old 02-26-2003, 02:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The problem lies elsewhere in your brake system. Either your tires are bald, you are running summer tires in winter snowy ice conditions etc. Also, maybe your suspension may be shot, making the tires bounce too much. With ABS systems, the only problem usually is that ABS works, or doesn't. Check everything else before you decide to fiddle with the ABS.

DW
Old 02-26-2003, 05:39 PM

Well, I'm not running bald or summer tires. They're basically new all seasons. There could be something wrong with the suspension, I don't know, but the tires are fine. I've stopped short before, and never had any problems. ABS is just kicking in at times when there's no way in hell I'd be skidding w/o them, and really causing problems.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:43 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

How do you know your ABS is being activated?
Old 02-27-2003, 06:54 AM

??? The brakes start pumping on their own, making the ABS noise. It's definitely teh ABS, I've driven cars before with it, I've just never owned cars with it.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:31 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

There could be a few reasons your ABS system is being activated when it shouldn't.

1) Frozen calipers - If one or more of your calipers are frozen, then all your braking force is being applied to only 3 or perhaps only 2 wheels causing those wheel to lock up under an unusually heavy load because they cannot stop the car.

2) Defective proportioning valve - If your getting to much braking force to the rear wheels or only the front, they will lock up quicky causing your ABS to kick in.

Sounds like you have a serious problem going on. You should have your entire brake system checked by a qualified mechanic to find your problem before you have an accident.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:47 AM

What kind of wheels do you have on the car?? When I have 17s on mine, the ABS acts a little more sensitive than it should. But when I have 15s on (stock were 16s though) the ABS acts normal.

DW
Old 02-27-2003, 09:55 AM

What kind of wheels do you have on the car?? When I have 17s on mine, the ABS acts a little more sensitive than it should. But when I have 15s on (stock were 16s though) the ABS acts normal.

DW
Old 02-27-2003, 02:30 PM

DW - I have the stock 15's on there now. I'm gonna put the 17's on in the spring, though I dont see how they could be any worse, lol

njmaxseltd - yeah, I'm gonna take the car in and get it checked out as soon as I can. It's still under warranty, so I should be in good shape (I hope) I've been driving like a little old lady the past couple days.

thanks!
Old 02-27-2003, 05:28 PM

if you want your abs disabled.

there is a harness near your passenger front strut tower, it is off of the engine and has wires(2) that run into where your wheel and brakes are. disconnect this harness and your abs will be off. the way this works is that by disconnecting a sensor your abs can no longer function correctly. DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.