4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 Transmission problem automatic stalls out

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 02:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

95 Transmission problem automatic stalls out

I have searched a good bit here on the forum and have not been able to find an answer to why my car is doing this, if any one can help I would appreciate it!

I have had the car for two years, and know about the shifts on cold mornings (having to completly stop for a downshift). Now though, my car will actually start off with the torque converter in lockdown. When I start the car and put it in D or R it will stall like a manual. If I start it on a hill and put it in drive I can drive it for about 5 minutes until it's warm, then it shifts just fine. I have checked the eccs and and no codes there, the transmission computer is not throwing codes either. I just heard back from the transmission shop and they want to tear down and rebuild because they cant figure it out either. My guess is that the temperature sensor for my ATF is not functioning properly, but I have not had a chance to check F42. I have found some great information posted by Daniel B, and wondered if anyone else has had this problem and have you found a resolution to this probelm. Thanks for any info...
Old 02-27-2003, 05:56 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

If your ATF temp sensor was malfunctioning one of two things would happen:

1)You would always lock up over 30 MPH regardless to temp
2)You would never lock up over 30MPH regardless of temp

Under 30MPH the signal to lock is not present.

Transmissions usually aren't what cause cars to stall and torque converters very rarely go bad. There are no moving parts to ware down, it's a vane pump. I'd be looking elsewhere for your stalling problem. When the car is in gear, your engine has a load on it. If it's not running correctly, under load engine problems are amplified. ie. your stalling condition.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Where else would you look? My car idles in park around 750-800, as soon as I drop it into R, it stalls. When I do get it to start rolling in D it starts off in the highest gear in overdrive, kinda like starting off in 5th gear on a standard. Could you give me a little more info on where you would start? I really dont want to or have the money for a rebuild, but I dont know what to fix
Old 02-27-2003, 10:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by sundaydriver
Where else would you look? My car idles in park around 750-800, as soon as I drop it into R, it stalls. When I do get it to start rolling in D it starts off in the highest gear in overdrive, kinda like starting off in 5th gear on a standard. Could you give me a little more info on where you would start? I really dont want to or have the money for a rebuild, but I dont know what to fix
im almost sure about this:

1. look your ATF replace it ASAP.
2. check your tranny VB solenoid.

I replace mine like 1 months ago, the shift solenoid was bad and in cold temp, my tranny shift very bad, in R my engine shut down and the RPMS on 1,2 was very crappy.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:57 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by sundaydriver
When I do get it to start rolling in D it starts off in the highest gear in overdrive, kinda like starting off in 5th gear on a standard.
That sounds like a tranny problem.

Your stalling probably isn't.

Things to look at:

Throttle body & IACV valve
Cold Idle Circuit - Fast idle Plunger and cam settings
Engine coolant temp sensor - check the readings cold
Old 02-27-2003, 02:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by maximabest

im almost sure about this:

1. look your ATF replace it ASAP.
2. check your tranny VB solenoid.

I replace mine like 1 months ago, the shift solenoid was bad and in cold temp, my tranny shift very bad, in R my engine shut down and the RPMS on 1,2 was very crappy.
ATF changed within the last 2 mos.
So you changed your VB solenoid or had it done?
How much did it cost if you had it done?

It only stalls when in gear, and rpms are normal otherwise.