4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alignment ? Mechanic Cracks Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 05:11 PM

Alignment ? Mechanic Cracks Windshield

Pick up my 97 SE from a front end alignment. Mechanic said everything went well.
I pay the bill and go out to my car, get inside and see that the windshield has a single crack running from one side of the defroster to the other side , directly above the vents.

So I determine that he heated up the car before he drove it into the garage with the defroster cranked. The temprature that night was 5 above zero and I left the car overnight with him so he could work on it in the morning.

Then after he got the vechicle inside he put it on the lift and the car flexed , cracking the window. Cold window on top and hot on the bottom, plus the lift = stress.

After telling him of this, he said it wasn't his fault, and will not pay for it. He doesn't know how it happened. Since this could also be true and beyond his control I also offered to split the bill with him. He still refused.

A new windshield installed will cost me 280.00

Think I should file a small claim against him in court?
Old 02-26-2003, 06:05 PM

When they do a alignment on your car, the car does not flew or anything like that. There is no way the car would have enough play to a windshield to break, if there is that would mean that if you drove the car in the morning and hit a bup or hole your windows would break.
But... if your widnows were broken after you turned the car in, he is liable for them and talk to the manager of the dealer or service shop. If not call your lawyer
Old 02-27-2003, 05:40 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your car is driven onto an alignment rack.
The wheels never leave the ground.
There is no lifting involved.

More body flex happens when you back out of your own driveway then driving straight onto an alignment rack.

It sure sounds like something happened to your car while it was at the shop. But it's your word against his at this point. Thats hard to prove in court.

Good luck!
Old 02-27-2003, 06:48 AM

Insurance

Most auto insurance have glass coverage with no deductable. Find a local shop that'll do it and get your insurance to reimburse you or what not. If you have to, throw a rock at it and say it happend on the highway. Not the best idea though.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:36 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Insurance

Originally posted by bb0ys
Most auto insurance have glass coverage with no deductable. Find a local shop that'll do it and get your insurance to reimburse you or what not. If you have to, throw a rock at it and say it happend on the highway. Not the best idea though.
Thats covered under comprehensive. The deductable can be anywhere from 250 up to 1000 bucks.

Get behine a construction truck carrying a load of dirt & rocks. Get the company name and the plate number, location bla bla bla. They usually pay for broken windshields due to falling debri.

You didn't hear that from me!
Old 02-27-2003, 07:53 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Insurance

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Thats covered under comprehensive. The deductable can be anywhere from 250 up to 1000 bucks.
Some compaines have seperate glass coverage. I have a $500 deductable, yet none for glass. I'm with Progressive.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Get behine a construction truck carrying a load of dirt & rocks. Get the company name and the plate number, location bla bla bla. They usually pay for broken windshields due to falling debri.

You didn't hear that from me!
Old 02-27-2003, 04:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

take him to judge judy. Tell her what happened. and she doesn't give it to you, then do what the guys above mentioned. Seriously though, go to small claims court. Yeah it's word against word, but it depends who gives a more convincing story, no?
Old 02-27-2003, 09:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

In Mass. there is no deductable for glass as long as you have comprehensive. It probably varies by state.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by Anachronism
In Mass. there is no deductable for glass as long as you have comprehensive. It probably varies by state.
Yup True!!... Last time I purchased 91 Accord EX sedan.. It had stone chip and some cracks on front winshield.. So I hit the stone chip area with screw driver and it made single long crack across the winshield.. Anyway.. I took it to insurance company and they did even look at my car.. They just told me.. take it to repair shop and have them call... That simple.. my insurance rate didn't go up thanks to using comprehensive coverage..
Old 02-28-2003, 06:29 AM

Can you clarify when you say "They usually pay for broken...". Do you mean the trucking company or your insurance company?

You didn't hear that from me! [/B][/QUOTE]
Old 02-28-2003, 07:04 AM

Well, I did get the windshield replaced and the window installer said the crack was due a small chip the glass had.

So, it was just bad luck that the crack appeared while the car was in the mechanic's care.

I will tell him what I learned from the glass installer and buy him and his crew a pizza. It's hard to find a good mechanic and i want to keep the one I've found.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:05 AM

Oh, another thing,, I think the alignment rack is of the older type where the wheels do leave the ground.....I think.