4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

5spd Tranny Probs.... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 05:17 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

5spd Tranny Probs.... HELP

hi guys

I've made a couple posts about my transmission problems but 4-5 months later, i was wondering if I could get more help. Trust me, i've done hours worth of searching and there are a couple things that i haven't found a good enough answer for and hopefully this thread can help me clear some stuff up. I'm just gonna list some of the problems I've been having and hopefully you guys can help me on a prob that u've had experience before on. Thanks for ure help!

#1 Differential Bearings
Wel, this problem has now been w/ me for the majority of the time i've owned it I developed this over the summer and i've still been driving w/ it.. i don't do much spirited driving, almost all highway driving. I've read about every post about this problem and really can't ask anything new about it... but there is one thing that I haven't been able to find a definate answer on. I'm gettin worried because the whining sound is more frequent and basically... what will happen if this problem is left unfixed for a long time?

#2 Vibrating/Rattling Shifter
This problem I got randomly one day... as if something fell off my car or something got loose. I do have a short shifter and when i've asked about it before, people said it's because of the STS.... but the original owner, and 3 months of personal driving experience have confirmed that this problem didn't exist before. Basically, when i'm doin around 60+ mph, the shifter vibrates and rattles. Get's really annoying... any ideas or experience w/ this guys? what should i check for?

#3 Slipping Clutch
Sure, this problem is obvious... but the clutch was 30k miles ago! Either I did a really bad job driving on it (never did a burnout in the car... at least not yet) or my cousin (original owner) raped the car before he sold it to me. I took Sprint's idea and floored the car from 3rd gear, but the RPM didn't jump like it does sometimes when i'm gettin on a highway I read a thread last week about someone having slipping clutch after gettin his car fixed from a wreck. The thing about this is someone else mentioned that this problem was because the mechanics didn't align the tranny and the engine properly. Could my engine and tranny become somehow misaligned? This possibility ran across my mind because w/ the vibrating shifter and bad differential bearings, maybe the tranny is vibrating like hell and got "misaligned"... what do u think?

#4 Shuddering
Alright, bad motor mounts? I noticed this all of a sudden happening 3 days ago. It shudders in 1st and 2nd low RPMs. Never really had this problem before tho... I thought it occured in cars w/ brand new clutches.

Other than the occasional drop of tranny oil (drive-axel seals), I've made sure the tranny level is sufficient. The engine and everything else works flawlessly (i hope) and it's just this tranny that is ****in me off. I think this all happened because i've ignored the diff bearing probs. [/b]Thanks[b] for ANY input. you guys are the best
Old 02-26-2003, 08:30 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Old 02-26-2003, 08:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: 5spd Tranny Probs.... HELP

Originally posted by nadir_s
hi guys

#1 Differential Bearings
Wel, this problem has now been w/ me for the majority of the time i've owned it I developed this over the summer and i've still been driving w/ it.. i don't do much spirited driving, almost all highway driving. I've read about every post about this problem and really can't ask anything new about it... but there is one thing that I haven't been able to find a definate answer on. I'm gettin worried because the whining sound is more frequent and basically... what will happen if this problem is left unfixed for a long time?

maybe the tranny is vibrating like hell and got "misaligned"... what do u think?

#1 If you leave go too long is bad...the metal shavings will go throughout your tranny for the hole life of the tranny...then when the bearings do get really lose, can be 3-4K miles, they will shatter inside of the tranny and youll be stuck on the side of the road with all your tranny oil on the ground and a fried tranny

the tranny cant get misaligned...can be your axles...all your problems can be related to an axle ... and or an alignment
Old 02-26-2003, 08:55 PM
Ramius83

1. Over a long period of time, nothing will happen. But, if you let it go too long, your tranny can just all of a sudden tear apart when the diff bearings go. Matt had a good explination.

2. That seems to be your tires/wheels. Does your steering wheel vibrate as well? If so, it may be your tires or wheels, as this is my case. I have 3 bent rims, not badly bent, but enough that it makes balancing my wheels/tires almost impossible. Also, it could be because of your diff bearings. If they are really worn, allowing for the axles to shift up and down, it would be because of this.

3. A slipping clutch would not be because of a "misalignment". There is NO WAY for your tranny to be misaligned with your engine. Did you make sure that the pressure disk and flywheel were PERFECTLY clean and clear of all oil, even from your hand? If not, then this may be the problem. Also, did you have your flywheel re-surfaced?

4. Check all your engine/tranny mounts. If there is fluid coming out of either the front or rear one, they are shot. The others on the sides, the left engine mount and the tranny mount, check for any cracks or anything. Also, make sure they are all tight.

Old 02-26-2003, 10:32 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Ramius- now i understand what's up w/ the shifter.... i never thought about the differential vibration causing the axel to be misaligned!

matty- thanks for summing it up... actually it's been almost 10k miles w/ the problem... grr now im scared lol

thanks guys!
Old 02-26-2003, 10:48 PM

Bad bearings = bad seals = bad axle = all of the problem?

Just a guess....

Old 02-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Dev

Re: 5spd Tranny Probs.... HELP

Originally posted by nadir_s
#4 Shuddering
Alright, bad motor mounts? I noticed this all of a sudden happening 3 days ago. It shudders in 1st and 2nd low RPMs. Never really had this problem before tho... I thought it occured in cars w/ brand new clutches.
i was getting engine hiccups (kind of jerk) at low rpms in 1st and 2nd gear as well.
most people thought that was related to misfiring of spark plugs or coil packs.
the problem kind of went away, but im still going to have it checked, because something wasn't right.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:08 AM

1) You tranny will get worse. I had a the differential bearing problem and was going to let it slide till summer. Then my input shaft bearings started to go. The tranny started to make a clicking noice like a bad CV joint. So I removed the tranny and replaced my differentail and one of my input shaft bearings. ( in Nov.) I think I could still drive ( baby it) it with a bad input shaft bearing but it was driving me nuts. So your other bearings may be effected the longer you drive.

2) ?

3 and 4) When you get your tranny fix get the flywheel resurfaced.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:33 AM

Look at my quaife write up same applies except your replacing the bearings. If you wait any longer your only damaging the gears if there any pieces of metal shaving in there.

My transmission started like that. Then one day it started making a loud clak clak noise, at first you could only fill it on the shifter then all of a sudden it got loud. And it made me so mad I punched the car on take off and bam cracked the case and ruined the final gear, and two other gears. Take care of the problem now before it gets any worse and you spend $175 bearings plus $350 new clutch plus $44 to resurface FW if you do all the work yourself vice looking at $1k plus to replace your tranny plus clutch and flywheel work. Dont sit on the problem it will only get worse.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:26 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

thanks for all the input guys!

There's a norcal meet coming up this weekend, i'll ask some local members if they know any good place to get the tranny fixed.

I think it's time i get the tranny rebuilt too... 150k miles isn't helpin me there