4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Max Isnt Startingup Properly

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 02:42 PM

Max Isnt Startingup Properly

alright i'v had it with this car...for the last 2 weeks i've had nonstop good and bad starts, this started about 2 weeks ago, early in the morning some days it'll start up PERFECTLY LIKE A BRAND NEW CAR, and other days it'll crank for 2-3 times and THEN I NEED TO DEPRESS THE GAS PEDDLE DOWN HARD WHILE HOLDING IT DOWN and it will start reving up at like 4-5k rpm and then evenutally start, the weather isnt a factor, also today it would wount start in the morning and then 8 hrs later whlie it was outside for awhile in nice weather (30degrees compared to the 10 we usually have), it still wouldnt start up normally, happens in morning and afternoon(after 8hr of parking)
this car has EVERYTHING NEW DONE, NEW STARTER, TUNEUP, FUEL INJECTOR CLEAN OUT, alot work done to it..
135k 95 GLE
any suggestions to what is happening would really be appriciated.
thanks
p.s. i've gone to local shop AND EVEN DEALER they said they dono whats the problem
Old 02-27-2003, 05:25 PM

Do a search for "starting problem" and "coolant temp sensor." You may find the answer there. This topic has been discussed for 4 years here on the BBS.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:10 PM

I had a lot of starting problems with my max and finally after replacing the starter (twice), alternator, and a new battery it starts up good. When I was having problems I would have to pump the gas pedal as well. But its good now. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:15 PM

Clean your throttle body,
It usually helps and it's easy to do.
I'm having the same problems and dry gas helps me out.
I guess my gas station has S###Y gas.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:11 PM

Re: Max Isnt Startingup Properly

My car is doing the same basic thing, I had it tuned up about a month ago, by my mechanic, not the dealer. It runs great and gets wonderful mileage and performance, but I have to give it a couple of stabs w/ the throttle, and maybe hold it 1/4 down, then start it. It is worse in the cold, but mostly depends on the time it 's been sitting. Well my mech. found out that there is a valve for cold start and idle that has gone bad. (IACV, or LACV). There is some kind of plastic/waxey material inside, and it as to do with controlling air flow at start and initial idle (it's only available at dealer so they say, and it's about 150.00 plus a new rerouter hose, plus more labour, etc. I am able to live with it as I 've just put a few bucks into brakes and 60000 service. If I can get one and it's feasible to install it myself, I will go for it.

Originally posted by sunnyb32
alright i'v had it with this car...for the last 2 weeks i've had nonstop good and bad starts, this started about 2 weeks ago, early in the morning some days it'll start up PERFECTLY LIKE A BRAND NEW CAR, and other days it'll crank for 2-3 times and THEN I NEED TO DEPRESS THE GAS PEDDLE DOWN HARD WHILE HOLDING IT DOWN and it will start reving up at like 4-5k rpm and then evenutally start, the weather isnt a factor, also today it would wount start in the morning and then 8 hrs later whlie it was outside for awhile in nice weather (30degrees compared to the 10 we usually have), it still wouldnt start up normally, happens in morning and afternoon(after 8hr of parking)
this car has EVERYTHING NEW DONE, NEW STARTER, TUNEUP, FUEL INJECTOR CLEAN OUT, alot work done to it..
135k 95 GLE
any suggestions to what is happening would really be appriciated.
thanks
p.s. i've gone to local shop AND EVEN DEALER they said they dono whats the problem