4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

So i payed $700 to change my fuel filter(Very Long. I warned you.)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 08:43 PM

So i payed $700 to change my fuel filter(Very Long. I warned you.)

Well i finally got it back. No, not my virginity silly, my car. 16 days it was gone. 14 at my mechanics, and 2 at the dealership. You might remember my previous threads begging for help as to what the problem could be. For a refresher, here's what happened:

I drive a 99 Nissan Maxima GXE. I decided to change my fuel filter. I figured its at 50k, so it couldnt hurt. Seemed like a relatively straight forward job. And for the most part it was. Toughest part was removing the lines from the filter. Ok so i got the new one installed. Tightened everything down, re-inserted the fuse for the fuel pump, and proceeded to start the car. First time, no go. Ok no prob, i read that it would take a couple tried to get fuel back to the engine. Few more tries. Still nothing. The car is turning over, but just not starting. So i check and make sure everthing is connected, etc.. Fuel pump is pumping. Ok, try a few more times. Still no start. Now i'm getting a little worried.

I post on here and another maxima board asking for help. A number of excellent thoughts, and ideas were thrown my way. I checked out all of them. Still, the car wouldnt start. Call my mechanic, he comes to the house, basically calls me a retard and leaves. Eventually i have the car towed to his shop. For the next 2 weeks, an excellent mechanic named David, restled with the non-starting car. Eventually, he comes to the conclusion that its electrical, not fuel related. Tries to scan for codes. Nothing. Tries flashing the codes. Again, nothing. Hmmm, not good. So after basically checking every sensor and electrical component from the computer to the engine and back, he still couldnt tell why the car wasn't starting. Other than the fact that the injectors werent pulsing.

Fast forward a bit. Someone on the other board mentions an Immobilizer security feature that started with the 99 model year. I try my spare to see if it would work. No go. My mechanic didnt hold much faith in the fact that, that could be the problem. So basically they come to the conclusion that my comp is basically fried. He checks on prices from the dealership. $720-950 for the comp. Not exactly chump change.

So he calls up a dealership and talks to a very smart tech. Who basically told him that it was the immobilizer feature malfuctioning. Basically how it works is this: The dealership programs a signal, code, or somthing into the keys. When you start the car, the key sends a signal to computer, verifying its validity. If you try to start the car with the wrong key, it wont start, or will shut down right away. If you try to start it with the wrong key too many times, the comp will basically shut down. Bingo.

So i go a bring my spare to the dealership so they can reprogram both keys. A couple hours later, i pick up my car. So ends my crazy car-less ordeal. Now you might be asking yourself. "They charged you $700 to program 2 keys?" The answer is no. They charged me $155.99. Not that bad, compared to the cost of a new computer. Unfortunatly though, i do work. So i needed a car. Off to the local Triangle Rent a Car i went. Well, lets just say that a rental car for 16 days is NOT cheap. Lets see here: $25/day + $10/day underage fee(i'm 21)*16= $560. Yippee! Next time my car doesnt start, at least i know what it will be. Oh and i also owe my mechanic too for some labor. So the cost will be going up slightly. He wont ream me too bad thought. He felt really bad for keeping my car that long, once he felt like he had hit a deadend, as far as diagnosing the problem went. So we shall see.

A lesson was certainly learned today. Err, yesterday. The moral of the story kids?

Buy a 98 model year Maxima. No Nissan Vehicle Immobilizer System.

One special note. The super dippity doo-da kicker? I still have my old filter on my car. One of the ideas thrown out was that perhaps i had gotten debris in the new one. So i put the old one back on to see if that was the case. Obviously it wasnt. So basically what i'm saying is that, i suck at the automobile maitenance. Live and learn i guess. Thanks for reading......if you made it this far.
Old 03-01-2003, 08:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: So i payed $700 to change my fuel filter(Very Long. I warned you.)

Originally posted by mrglynis
Well i finally got it back. No, not my virginity silly, my car. 16 days it was gone. 14 at my mechanics, and 2 at the dealership. You might remember my previous threads begging for help as to what the problem could be. For a refresher, here's what happened:

I drive a 99 Nissan Maxima GXE. I decided to change my fuel filter. I figured its at 50k, so it couldnt hurt. Seemed like a relatively straight forward job. And for the most part it was. Toughest part was removing the lines from the filter. Ok so i got the new one installed. Tightened everything down, re-inserted the fuse for the fuel pump, and proceeded to start the car. First time, no go. Ok no prob, i read that it would take a couple tried to get fuel back to the engine. Few more tries. Still nothing. The car is turning over, but just not starting. So i check and make sure everthing is connected, etc.. Fuel pump is pumping. Ok, try a few more times. Still no start. Now i'm getting a little worried.

I post on here and another maxima board asking for help. A number of excellent thoughts, and ideas were thrown my way. I checked out all of them. Still, the car wouldnt start. Call my mechanic, he comes to the house, basically calls me a retard and leaves. Eventually i have the car towed to his shop. For the next 2 weeks, an excellent mechanic named David, restled with the non-starting car. Eventually, he comes to the conclusion that its electrical, not fuel related. Tries to scan for codes. Nothing. Tries flashing the codes. Again, nothing. Hmmm, not good. So after basically checking every sensor and electrical component from the computer to the engine and back, he still couldnt tell why the car wasn't starting. Other than the fact that the injectors werent pulsing.

Fast forward a bit. Someone on the other board mentions an Immobilizer security feature that started with the 99 model year. I try my spare to see if it would work. No go. My mechanic didnt hold much faith in the fact that, that could be the problem. So basically they come to the conclusion that my comp is basically fried. He checks on prices from the dealership. $720-950 for the comp. Not exactly chump change.

So he calls up a dealership and talks to a very smart tech. Who basically told him that it was the immobilizer feature malfuctioning. Basically how it works is this: The dealership programs a signal, code, or somthing into the keys. When you start the car, the key sends a signal to computer, verifying its validity. If you try to start the car with the wrong key, it wont start, or will shut down right away. If you try to start it with the wrong key too many times, the comp will basically shut down. Bingo.

So i go a bring my spare to the dealership so they can reprogram both keys. A couple hours later, i pick up my car. So ends my crazy car-less ordeal. Now you might be asking yourself. "They charged you $700 to program 2 keys?" The answer is no. They charged me $155.99. Not that bad, compared to the cost of a new computer. Unfortunatly though, i do work. So i needed a car. Off to the local Triangle Rent a Car i went. Well, lets just say that a rental car for 16 days is NOT cheap. Lets see here: $25/day + $10/day underage fee(i'm 21)*16= $560. Yippee! Next time my car doesnt start, at least i know what it will be. Oh and i also owe my mechanic too for some labor. So the cost will be going up slightly. He wont ream me too bad thought. He felt really bad for keeping my car that long, once he felt like he had hit a deadend, as far as diagnosing the problem went. So we shall see.

A lesson was certainly learned today. Err, yesterday. The moral of the story kids?

One special note. The super dippity doo-da kicker? I still have my old filter on my car. One of the ideas thrown out was that perhaps i had gotten debris in the new one. So i put the old one back on to see if that was the case. Obviously it wasnt. So basically what i'm saying is that, i suck at the automobile maitenance. Live and learn i guess. Thanks for reading......if you made it this far.

some simply words..................find out what happen with our cars before spend money
Old 03-01-2003, 10:10 PM

thank goodnesss i have a 97
Old 03-01-2003, 10:19 PM

So it was the IMMOBILIZER?? Sounds like you got Arnold Schwarzenegger guarding your car (I'll BE BACK)

That 99s with their immobilizer must be a pain, until they prevent a thief from stealing your car. I mean, not even a screwdriver jammed in the ignition method can get past it, I think. The thief drives the car away and it just dies 5 minutes later. Doesn't that piece of mind make it worth it

DW
Old 03-01-2003, 10:58 PM

I have a 99 gxe also. So the car shut down because you started the car with the wrong key? You didnt really say how it immoblized? Just curious because I have a 99 also. Interesting story by the way. I also need to change my fuel filter for i am at 50k.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Shouldn't there be a mention of the Immobilizer in the manual?
Old 03-01-2003, 11:21 PM

So, there is no indicator that the immobilizer has been triggered, other than the car will not start?? Hard to believe Nissan did not even make it trigger an idicator light, or generate a code.
What if someone messes with your car in a parking lot? How will the common owner know why his car will not start?

How did it get triggered? Was your key bad? I have a 97, but my sister has a 99. Maybe I'll play an expensive joke on her. Nah.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:22 PM

So how exactly did you get the immobilizer to "act up" in the first place. Sounds like you were using the right key the whole time, so what did you do I have a '99 and I've changed my fuel filter twice, and last week I installed my fuel pressure gauge with no problems. I've never had problems with the immobilizer before.
-hype
Old 03-01-2003, 11:24 PM
Dallas Nissan Enthusiast

ude i have a 99

and i need to change my fuel filter what did you do wrong?
Old 03-01-2003, 11:55 PM
rcy

<snip>

<snip>

Oh and i also owe my mechanic too for some labor. So the cost will be going up slightly. He wont ream me too bad thought. He felt really bad for keeping my car that long, once he felt like he had hit a deadend, as far as diagnosing the problem went. So we shall see.

<snip>

What you owe your mechanic is a SLAP UPSIDE THE HEAD. Let's see... HE called YOU a retard, then couldn't fix your car for two weeks?! YOU told HIM it might be the immoblizer, and HE told YOU no, it's the computer BEND OVER AND COUGH UP $700. Then HE called the dealer and lo and behold, it's the immobilizer. That moron should be paying you for the time you had to rent a car after he told you it wasn't the immobilizer. The moral of the story???? If your mechanic calls you a retard, DON'T TAKE YOUR CAR TO HIM!!!
Old 03-02-2003, 01:18 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Re: Re: So i payed $700 to change my fuel filter(Very Long. I warned you.)

Originally posted by rcy

The moral of the story???? If your mechanic calls you a retard, DON'T TAKE YOUR CAR TO HIM!!!
Old 03-02-2003, 04:19 AM
i SeE what you did therE

i changed my fuel filter and my key still worked..
Old 03-02-2003, 06:06 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Originally posted by dwapenyi
The thief drives the car away and it just dies 5 minutes later. Doesn't that piece of mind make it worth it
You can start the car, but unless you have a properly coded key, the engine will immediately die after 1 second. You're not going anywhere, and it's good for a couple bucks off of your insurance bill also
Old 03-02-2003, 07:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'd rather have what I have: iLock.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:31 AM

In the original thread, I submitted 2 posts which suggested it was the security/immobilizer system for car, as thats what happened to me. Strange part though is, if both of us were using the proper key to start the car, why did the immobilizer get activated? Now I'm begginning to wonder is this going to be a recurring problem?

Good thing you got your car back and it wasn't anything really expensive.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:38 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

i think getting your virignity back would have cost less.......

I did the same thing.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=152485
Old 03-02-2003, 11:18 AM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

One think i dont understand from your problem is that. how did the Immobilizer get activated after you changed the fuel pump? did you made copy of your car key with out the chip? and you try to start the car with that key? it doesnt make sense to me after you change the fuel pump the Immoblizer will kick in?
Pleasee post something to clear me out.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:53 PM

Sorry for the late replies guys. I've been at work all day. Ok heres the deal. The 2 items at hand are linked soley but nothing more than a horrible coincidence. Changing my filter, and my immoblizer acting up are not related. It just happened to happen at the same time. Obviously something happened, but changing my filter wasnt the direct cause of the key malfunction.

I was using my master key i have been using since i bought the car a couple of months ago.

For those of you wondering what i did to cause it. The answer as far as i can tell, is NOTHING. It just happened. It was just as likely to happen even if i hadnt changed the filter. Just a horrible coincidence. As fisher posted, it happened to him. Just a random glitch. Theres no TSB or anything as far as i'm aware. Nissan is obviously aware of the problem. i just dont think they know how to fix it. When i picked it up, one of the counter guys mentioned that they are starting to have a lot of Frontiers, and X-Terras coming in with the same problem. So who knows. It sucks to think that it could just happen at any given time apparently. I'd hate for it to happen when i'm on a date, or on vacation, or hell anytime for that matter.

As for my mechanic calling me a retard. He didnt really. He just didnt know how i could mess something that simple up. IT was all in good fun. It also didnt take the whole 2 weeks to Not figure out the problem. They realized it by the first week, but something came up where they thought they could borrow a comp from another maxima. That would allow them to see if it really was the computer. But it didnt work out with the other car, so that ate up sometime. He really is a competent tech, just he didnt know about the immobilizer. So how can you diagnose something as being the problem, when you arent aware that its installed?

Anyways, enough rambling. Hopefully this wont happen again for a while (read: EVER). But at least i'll know what it is if it does happen.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by Lime
I'd rather have what I have: iLock.
which is...........
Old 03-02-2003, 04:18 PM

Thats sucks but Immobilizer has damn-near saved my life personnaly. I just got brand new off the showroom ('99 black 5-sp) put 18'Monsoons on, 12's in trunk, you know the deal, but I din't have a factory alarm, just the security light on the dash and the immobilizer chip in the key. I get woken up by my neighbor saying he had chased two dudes down th eblock after he heard them trying to start and steal my car. I went donw and saw my passenger widow laying next to the car, the radio had power, they had tried to force-turn my ignition. Neddless to say that car wasn't going anywhere without it's key, and they learned that after a few minutes breaking my ignition and being chased that my car wasn't going anywhere. The only thing that sucked was that i needed a new igintion which meant 1 key for ignition, 1 key for door locks, and no I don't have keyless entry either. Other than that Immobillizer saved my ***.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:25 PM

Good story. I agree that it is a good idea. Anything to keep my car from getting stolen. But its a good idea with a design flaw somewhere. It shouldnt just randomly get deprogrammed. But alas, what are you going to do. Take the good with the bad i guess.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:55 PM

I had the same problem with my 99 GXE. I went in a store to buy groceries, came out to start my car, and it wouldn't start. I called my buddy to go to my house to pick up my spare set of keys figuring that this may have been the problem, but no go. Had to wait for a tow truck to pick me and my car up for the 2 hr. round trip to the dealership I bought the car from since it was still under warantee. Lucky me. The mechanic told me it would of cost around $120 to reprogram the keys, and that he didn't know how it happened and would talk to Nissan and get back to me but never did. I think that if they know about the problem and dont want to remedy it with a recall or something, that if it happens to you the reprograming of the keys should be free. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-02-2003, 05:18 PM

Well, despite it being a bit buggy on some 99s, I think it's an awesome feature for a stock alarm. I'd love to have it. The only way a thief could take your car is if he had a tow truck handy. That actually happenes sometimes in NY, but still its to your advantage. You guys must get a good insurance discount with this feature mentioned.

DW

Originally posted by SteVTEC
You can start the car, but unless you have a properly coded key, the engine will immediately die after 1 second. You're not going anywhere, and it's good for a couple bucks off of your insurance bill also
Old 03-03-2003, 08:25 AM

I don't understand that you guys are being charged $120 to reprogram the keys It's not like you broke the key or anything.... It just stops working and becomes a huge INCONVENIENCE. I don't have that feature but I would be very if i this happened to me.
Old 03-03-2003, 08:38 AM
AssyrianRacer

I was

I thihnk i was the guy who told you about the immobolizer, It happed to me once and it costed me 150 to fix it. They had to reprogram the Chip in the Key, and the computer, its a hassle, I know