4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Exhaust Options and other Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 11:53 PM

Exhaust Options and other Stuff

I've got a 1995 Emerald Black (or is it Deep Evergreen?) GLE automatic, with about 190,000 highway miles on it. Aside from that number being so high, the car is in perfect mechanical condition, with the exception of the troublesome starts in the morning during winter time.

This spring break, I plan on doing my first performance mods. I'm going to get the Frankencar intake with the Apex'i filter as my first mod. I'm going with this one first because I'm positive that the Frankencar is the one I want.

After the intake, I plan on getting an exhaust. Right now, I'm a little ignorant about exactly what to buy, but that is because I don't really know the technical order of the exhaust system. Right now, I am thinking I want the GReddy cat-back system. However, if I get this, can I still get the Budget Y-pipe? From my limited knowledge, I assume that the Y-pipe goes on before the cats, and the GReddy system goes on after the cats. Is that correct? Also, would getting a hi-flow cat at the same time be worth it? Whatever I'm doing to the exhaust, I'm doing all at once, and doing it myself.

Another exhaust question: are there any dual exhaust systems out? I really dig having the symmetry of 2 pipes coming out of the rear of the car. I realize that I'll probably have to go to a shop or something to get a dual installed, but it'd be worth it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS -- I realize that by owning a GLE automatic, that the weakest link in the performance of the car is going to be the tranny. Is there any way to make it better without doing a complete replacement?
Old 03-02-2003, 01:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You want to START modding at 190,000?
Old 03-02-2003, 01:05 AM

Ill do my best to answer, but correct me if im wrong anyone..

You are correct in that a Y-pipe is before the cat back and that should prove to be a nice combo. As for duals, all are 'fake' but are available, and again you're correct in needing to bring it to a shop most likely, depending on how comfortable you are installing stuff like that.

As for the tranny, search for Dons VB mod...or just Dons because the search wont allow vb mod...other than that, I rec'd a 5 spd I hear thats a great upgrade...

Derek
Old 03-02-2003, 08:30 AM

Originally posted by DerekJ212
Ill do my best to answer, but correct me if im wrong anyone..

You are correct in that a Y-pipe is before the cat back and that should prove to be a nice combo. As for duals, all are 'fake' but are available, and again you're correct in needing to bring it to a shop most likely, depending on how comfortable you are installing stuff like that.

As for the tranny, search for Dons VB mod...or just Dons because the search wont allow vb mod...other than that, I rec'd a 5 spd I hear thats a great upgrade...

Derek
i would give your car a good tune-up before modding.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:56 PM

greddy would be a nice choice
Old 03-02-2003, 03:47 PM

AgaricX, the car has 190,000 miles on it, but 185,000 miles were driven on the highway. There has never been much stress put on the car, and the engine is in better shape than almost any engine with over 100,000 miles on it.

I looked at GReddy's exhaust, and it has a tip that's a little bit bigger than I'd like. I'll still probably go with it, unless I can find a cheaper alternative in a muffler / B-pipe combo. I really dislike the big tip, because I'm not doing any "rice" mods as such, and intend on keeping the car looking like a sleeper for the most part.

I checked out Borla's site; I thought they made a cat-back system for us? I didn't find one on their page.

About the dualies ... what do you mean that they're fake? As in, exhaust only comes out from one of them? That'd be weird. I have a feeling I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say, though.

97GLES, what do you mean by tune-up? We had the car thoroughly checked about 300 miles ago, and put in new CV boots, a new water pump, new oil pan & gasket, and a few more regular maintenance items.

Thank you very much guys!
Old 03-02-2003, 04:07 PM
ivelweyz

Originally posted by bk_r0x
AgaricX, the car has 190,000 miles on it, but 185,000 miles were driven on the highway. There has never been much stress put on the car, and the engine is in better shape than almost any engine with over 100,000 miles on it.

I looked at GReddy's exhaust, and it has a tip that's a little bit bigger than I'd like. I'll still probably go with it, unless I can find a cheaper alternative in a muffler / B-pipe combo. I really dislike the big tip, because I'm not doing any "rice" mods as such, and intend on keeping the car looking like a sleeper for the most part.

I checked out Borla's site; I thought they made a cat-back system for us? I didn't find one on their page.

About the dualies ... what do you mean that they're fake? As in, exhaust only comes out from one of them? That'd be weird. I have a feeling I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say, though.

97GLES, what do you mean by tune-up? We had the car thoroughly checked about 300 miles ago, and put in new CV boots, a new water pump, new oil pan & gasket, and a few more regular maintenance items.

Thank you very much guys!
Get an APEXi WS exhaust, Budget Y-pipe and a FRANKENCAR intake but not the APEXi filter. It's overpriced and shown not to be much better than others except bad filtering. Just make your own intake and save the hurndred or so dollars for other stuff...

Old 03-02-2003, 04:26 PM

ivelweyz, thanks for the info on the Apexi WS exhaust. I checked out their website, and the look of their muffler / tip is MUCH more preferable than the GReddy. However, there are no authorized Apexi dealers anywhere near me. Have you had any experiences with dealers that may ship to Wisconsin? Also, if you bought the WS, how much did you pay? Are you satisfied with its performance and sound quality? The last thing I want is a ricey-sounding exhaust.

As for the Frankencar intake, you reccomend I get the K&N version, or do you think I should get the midpipe only and make my own? I'd much rather just buy their setup and bolt it on, but if it is relatively easy to create one, and I can save some cash, then I'm all for it.

I have an entire garage with every conceivable tool (minus a hydraulic lift) available at my disposal, plus I have a millwright (mechanic specializing in engine-work) that I can consult for help too. Do you guys think that all of this is doable, given enough time and patience? I'm a first-timer, but I am pretty technically inclined.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2003, 04:36 PM

One more quick question: is there any real reason to replace the catalytic converter itself? MaximaDriver.com says that you're looking at a zero HP gain, but it would make sense to me if you're going to replace everything else, why not replace the cat? Is my thinking flawed here?
Old 03-02-2003, 05:12 PM

Ok, I've been doing a lot of reading about which cat-back system I want. I've got it down between:

Apexi vs. Cattman

Both have the smaller tip I'm looking for. I'm leaning slightly towards Cattman, because it sounds like their system is geared more towards having the Y-pipe replaced too, so I think that I may get a bit better HP results since I'll be tossing in the Budget Y at the same time.

Any comments on which I should go with?
Old 03-02-2003, 05:18 PM
Says.."No mo Maximas for me!"

Ok, I've been doing a lot of reading about which cat-back system I want. I've got it down between:

Apexi vs. Cattman

Any comments on which I should go with?
Isn't someone selling an Apex'i in the Classifieds Section? Last I looked, it was still for sale and the price was good, too!
Old 03-02-2003, 11:35 PM
ivelweyz

ivelweyz, thanks for the info on the Apexi WS exhaust. I checked out their website, and the look of their muffler / tip is MUCH more preferable than the GReddy. However, there are no authorized Apexi dealers anywhere near me. Have you had any experiences with dealers that may ship to Wisconsin? Also, if you bought the WS, how much did you pay? Are you satisfied with its performance and sound quality? The last thing I want is a ricey-sounding exhaust.

As for the Frankencar intake, you reccomend I get the K&N version, or do you think I should get the midpipe only and make my own? I'd much rather just buy their setup and bolt it on, but if it is relatively easy to create one, and I can save some cash, then I'm all for it.

I have an entire garage with every conceivable tool (minus a hydraulic lift) available at my disposal, plus I have a millwright (mechanic specializing in engine-work) that I can consult for help too. Do you guys think that all of this is doable, given enough time and patience? I'm a first-timer, but I am pretty technically inclined.

I got my APEXi for $399 shipped. It's very quiet nowhere near rice. After adding my custom intake it got a bit louder but still hardly noticeable. The y-pipe is on the way and I'll see how it sounds. As for the intake saving about a $100 dollars and making your own in a few hours is very worth it and very satisfying...

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2003, 11:46 PM
ivelweyz

I got my APEXi for $399 shipped. It's very quiet nowhere near rice. After adding my custom intake it got a bit louder but still hardly noticeable. The y-pipe is on the way and I'll see how it sounds. As for the intake saving about a $100 dollars and making your own in a few hours is very worth it and very satisfying...

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2003, 11:46 PM
ivelweyz

Thanks!

Old 03-03-2003, 12:12 AM
SLOW

Don't knock the high mileage 4th gens. They get faster with age. I've got 140K miles on mine. Hard miles. See any other 4th gens in the 13s all motor? Didn't think so

High flow cat will make no difference whatsoever. Maybe 1hp. Dual exhaust would be a custom setup, there aren't any aftermarket systems that are dual for the Max. Get the Y pipe before you get either exhaust or intake. It alone will give better gains than the intake and exhaust combined.
Old 03-03-2003, 12:18 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Basics ---- Engine -> Headers (none avail.) -> Y-pipe (F pipe at Budget) -> Cat Conv (minimal gains) -> B pipe (good for a few hp's, but sound is more prevelant than power -> Muffler.