4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

custom exhaust idea...opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 09:10 AM

custom exhaust idea...opinions please

Ok, I've been wanting to do something w/ the exhaust to make it look very unique and sound unique as well. So I'd like some opinions on what you guys think of this. Havent decided on this part, but either no cat, or high flow into 2.5" piping w/ a flowmaster 40 series with twin outlets, then 2.5" coming off the muffler exiting under the rear doors (yes side dual pipe effect) w/ dual chrome tips. Any thoughts?
Justin
Old 03-05-2003, 09:36 AM

Re: custom exhaust idea...opinions please

Originally posted by venompwr2
Ok, I've been wanting to do something w/ the exhaust to make it look very unique and sound unique as well. So I'd like some opinions on what you guys think of this. Havent decided on this part, but either no cat, or high flow into 2.5" piping w/ a flowmaster 40 series with twin outlets, then 2.5" coming off the muffler exiting under the rear doors (yes side dual pipe effect) w/ dual chrome tips. Any thoughts?
Justin
marcdown had the same idea... since he has no bpipe or muffler right now...lol.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:18 AM

It should look pretty good and the sound will be very deep. Get it for sure.
Old 03-05-2003, 10:33 AM

Flowmasters on Foreign cars generally don't sound all that great, especially without a catalytic converter in my experience. My friend had a Neon with a Flowmater and it sounded like one long tinny fart in a can. They are great for V-8s that have large displacement though (more than 5.0L). I like the dual sidepipe idea. It would be pretty cool if you could have them come out of the body somehow.
Old 03-05-2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by MacGyver265
Flowmasters on Foreign cars generally don't sound all that great, especially without a catalytic converter in my experience. My friend had a Neon with a Flowmater and it sounded like one long tinny fart in a can. They are great for V-8s that have large displacement though (more than 5.0L). I like the dual sidepipe idea. It would be pretty cool if you could have them come out of the body somehow.
Well I know I cant exactly get a very deep powerful sound like a V8, but what other mufflers besides a flowmaster could give something deep? I dont want a import kind of sound if I go through with this. Nothing that sounds like stillen or greddy... I have that sound now and I dont mind it, but I want this project to give me something very...different
Old 03-05-2003, 12:22 PM
Maxima95Tuner

The side exiting exhaust would be sweet! It would be awesome if you could have the side exhaust come out from a custom molded body kit!!

Old 03-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think people have been watching the fast and furious too much.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:36 PM
wat

Originally posted by spanishrice
Old 03-05-2003, 02:49 PM

you can probally get side skirts from the stilen kit cut wholes in them and have them coming out the side skirts!
Old 03-05-2003, 03:00 PM
Blazin......

Originally posted by greenmax95se
you can probally get side skirts from the stilen kit cut wholes in them and have them coming out the side skirts!
and then the plastic will melt. yay
Old 03-05-2003, 03:13 PM
The original VQ...

you should just get a b-pipe with a universal muffler like i got, it sounds the best and its beter to do something you know will sound good , because what if you put the flowmaster on and it sounds like ****. and if you got the money get a y-pipe .
Old 03-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you will regret getting 40-series, trruuussst me, i had them on my '95 Ford Probe GT with a 2.5 V6. Let me say though, you get a VERY VERY deep sound. The outside is more mellow, smooth and deep. HOWEVER, the inside...you will not be able to hold a normal conversation without the noise getting in your way, i mean its real annoying. There will be drone with that muffler, and bad drone. God forbid you have a system and the muffler and the system hits at a certain frequency (its weird i know). It just hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmsssssss. And man, no cat?!? Phew, i gutted my cat, but cant imagine no cat! Its horrible man, dont do it to yourself. I dont know if youve read up on Flows, but the 40-series is their loudest muffler, period! If you want something deep, yes, get flowmasters, but get something which wont intrude and annoy you in the cabin, get some 60-70series, they are made for smaller displacement import cars and are spcefically tuned to produce minimal interior resonance (drone). You will still get that flowmaster tone (yes, even on V6s you can get that tone, moreso on the 3.0 VQ-V6 than on my previous 2.5 KL-V6)

Yes, that was long...sorry

eric
Old 03-05-2003, 03:30 PM

Use a 2.5" 50 series muffler instead. As long as you have your stock y-pipe you can run a 50 series without a cat and have a nice sound. A real smooth hollow exhaust tone (no tin). As soon as you get an aftermarket y-pipe with no pre-cats, it will sound very tinny.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by AdMax98
Use a 2.5" 50 series muffler instead. As long as you have your stock y-pipe you can run a 50 series without a cat and have a nice sound. A real smooth hollow exhaust tone (no tin). As soon as you get an aftermarket y-pipe with no pre-cats, it will sound very tinny.
Well I have a budget Y, and I didnt really want to get rid of the cat for this project anyways, it was just a possibility. So how about this, Y pipe, stock or high flow cat (probably stock because it will save me some money for now) then the 2.5" into a 50 or 60series flowmaster with dual tips exiting under each side. I think it would look good. I know the 40 series is the loudest. Anyways this probably wont be permanent on the car, I just want a project to work on. But if its good I might keep it on. Or if I get an aftermarket B pipe (for when i take this dual set up off) should I just weld the new muffler onto the stock b pipe and work with that to make sure it will fit exactly onto the cat? I'm going to get started on this project within the next few weeks, I'll keep you guys all posted on how it goes and get some pics up when its finished!
Justin
Old 03-05-2003, 06:41 PM
ivelweyz

Re: custom exhaust idea...opinions please

Originally posted by venompwr2
Justin
I mentioned this NASCAR exhaust idea here months ago and everyone seemed ok with it it except the loudness of the whole thing would be unbearable. Someone with a max site was doing this but cancelled because of some state laws and loudness...

Old 03-06-2003, 05:47 AM

bobjohnson, aren't some kits fiber glass? that wouldn't melt i dont think. i dont think plastic would melt, but then again i dont know how hot it would be.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:48 AM

I put a Flowmaster dual outlet on a 240SX once, WAYYYYY to "bees in a can sound" I'm not sure what series it was but it was recommended by the Flowmaster tech people. HOWEVER what I did was put a plain old glasspack in the system upstream of the Flowmaster, kinda like a resonator, and it sounded great! but as the glasspack wore out.....the louder it got. I would have to replace the glasspack every 6 months, but I sold it. kinda wish I had not done that, they have a high resale, and I had a bunch of mods on it. Oh well live and learn.
Old 03-06-2003, 07:38 AM

don't the guys that already have dual exhaust use Z28 mufflers? i don't know if that would work in your application, but that might have some potential.
Old 03-06-2003, 08:47 AM

Ok, what I dont get is why this would be so much louder?? There will still be a cat and a muffler. So technically, shouldnt this just be as loud as everyone who has a non resonated B pipe and a flowmaster muffler? Like craig macks? I just dont see how having the exhaust piping be shorter would make it that much louder. Maybe I'll have a resonator put in if its too loud. But I think this is gonna be pretty sweet!
Justin
Old 03-06-2003, 08:50 AM

Based on what you're telling me, wouldnt the 2k1 Mustang SVT Cobra R be insanely loud, or the first Dodge Viper RT/10s? I think it'll be fine.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:05 AM

One other question, since nobody has ever done this I guess no one would can give me an exact answer, I am doing this exhaust project only for looks and sound, but do you think I'll get any kind of performance out of it? And compared to my current exhaust, stock B and stillen muffler, how do you think it will perform?
Old 03-06-2003, 09:06 AM

Have you ever even looked under your car. Where do you plan to hang this muffler so the piping can be routed. Exhaust hangers, welded all over the place. And a muffler that scrapes the ground constantly due to recessed mounting location like behind the axle. What about all the custom heat shields too.

I'm not saying it cant be done because its not that far fetched, in fact I've considered something similar.

Screw the whole sound issue. Keep your stock cat. But exhaust on a maxima with no resonators is VERY LOUD. Too loud, and trust me I am far from conservative.
Old 03-06-2003, 12:36 PM
Banned

I HAVE A FLOWMASTER 40 SERIES SINGLE OUT PUT HOOKED UP TO 2 1/2 INCH EXHAUST FROM THE MANIFOLD BACK..... IT SOUNDS VERY RESPECTABLE NOT RICEY I ****ING HATE 2 STROKE MUFFLERS LOL

YES I CUSTOM WELDED MY EXHAUST SYSTEM, BOUGHT A RANDOM TECH. CAT CONVERT. AND RETURNED IT- SOUNDS FINE WITH JUST THE 40 SERIES.

(AMERICAN MUSCLE ANT GOT **** ON ME)
Old 03-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Banned

I ONLY WELDED 1 BRAKET NERE THE REAR BUMPER THATS IT... AND HAD TO WELD ON A 4 INCH LENTH OF 2 1/2 INCH TAIL PIPE SO I COULD PUT A STAINLESS TIP ON IT... IT HANGS EXACTLY LIKE STOCK A LIL BEHIND ACUALLY AND DOESNT HANG OR RATTLE!!! THE HANGARS WELDED RIGHT TO THE MUFFLER ITSELF. IT IS EASY TO DO SO GET OFF UR *** BUY A 40 SERIES FOR 78$ AND A TAILPIPE EXTENTION AND UR SPENT.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:27 PM

I also had a 40 series, it sounded almost OK until between 1 and 3 rpms. I removed the Cat then it was a tin can.

The muffler is in the trash now....
Old 03-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Banned

i dunno bro mine sounds sweet.. mabey cause you were running stock exhaust diameter...
Old 03-06-2003, 05:31 PM
Banned

i dunno bro mine sounds sweet.. mabey cause you were running stock exhaust diameter... in every rps it sounds sweet
Old 03-06-2003, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by brizsblackmax
I ONLY WELDED 1 BRAKET NERE THE REAR BUMPER THATS IT... AND HAD TO WELD ON A 4 INCH LENTH OF 2 1/2 INCH TAIL PIPE SO I COULD PUT A STAINLESS TIP ON IT... IT HANGS EXACTLY LIKE STOCK A LIL BEHIND ACUALLY AND DOESNT HANG OR RATTLE!!! THE HANGARS WELDED RIGHT TO THE MUFFLER ITSELF. IT IS EASY TO DO SO GET OFF UR *** BUY A 40 SERIES FOR 78$ AND A TAILPIPE EXTENTION AND UR SPENT.
However, the muffler isnt going to be anywhere near the bumper, its going to be somewhere around where the stock resonator is on the b pipe. It'll require some thinking and some welding and some work, but it will be done one way or another!
Justin
Old 03-06-2003, 08:11 PM

sounds like every one has a different opinion! but i have none!
Old 03-06-2003, 10:28 PM

I have tried that one and trust me dont waist your money. First off it is illegal because the exaust fumes can reenter the car because it has four doors. Also the pipe will have no more that 2" clearance so if you hit a speed bump wrong its dead. I waisted tons of money on that project last year.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Banned

DID I WASTE MY TIME TYPING??????? THE FLOWMASTER GOES JUST BEFORE THE STOCK 1'S POSITION BY ABOUT 6 INCHES , SO ALL U DO IS WELD ON A 6 INCH TAILPIPE ON THE END ON IT AND SLAP ON A TIP... DAMNIT! BPIPE MY ***.. EXHAUST LEAK MY *** ALSO.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:03 PM
Banned

IT HAS STOCK CLEARENCE!!! GOD DANG! DO I HAVE TO POST PICS OF MY SYSTEM??????????
Old 03-07-2003, 10:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

IT HAS STOCK CLEARENCE!!! GOD DANG! DO I HAVE TO POST PICS OF MY SYSTEM??????????

LEARN TO NOT USE DAMN CAPS!!!

it gets annoying

eric
Old 03-08-2003, 04:55 AM
Banned

err i dont care.
Old 03-08-2003, 06:32 AM
I need a truck

Originally posted by spanishrice
with a little XXX thrown in there . man that GTO is sweet
Old 03-08-2003, 01:53 PM
Old Timer

Better hop you never start burning oil. Big black stains down the back of your max will ruin your resale.

David
Old 03-08-2003, 04:58 PM

if you don't want to get a pre-made system i would try a budget bpipe with resonator (if they're actually shipping out) or warpspeed bpipe. coupled with a borla pro XL 2.5" stainless muffler. you can then add your own stainless slash cut tip or go with borla's intercooled tip (more $). my current setup uses a courtesy bpipe which is 100% effective and cheaper than the rest, but still retains the stock Sbend after the cat. running with the cat makes the sound deep and smooth. i'm running wide open and the only difference is a slight increase in volume and exhaust crackles when coasting at speed.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:35 PM

DID I WASTE MY TIME TYPING??????? THE FLOWMASTER GOES JUST BEFORE THE STOCK 1'S POSITION BY ABOUT 6 INCHES , SO ALL U DO IS WELD ON A 6 INCH TAILPIPE ON THE END ON IT AND SLAP ON A TIP... DAMNIT! BPIPE MY ***.. EXHAUST LEAK MY *** ALSO.
if you read what the thread was originally about, the side pipes, then you would know what we're talking about. if i go through with this project, the muffler will be hanging underneath the car (below the seats and floor panels) and the piping would go underneath there too, and out below the rear doors. the muffler wouldnt be tucked up all nice where the stock is, it will hang down and be a few inches above the road.
Old 03-08-2003, 08:47 PM

You will probably loose HP on this deal because of the restrictive bends that will have to be placed in the exhaust system. I had a set of those Thrush side pipes on a Camaro once (remember those side pipes? they were glass packs encased in aluminum housings, and DAM would they burn your legs!!) and the bemds to get them to fit were horrible. almost an S curve to go from exhaust manifold to the side pipe, This is basically what you are doing except the muffler will be under the car? I would try to use some type of muffler in the housing running down the side of the car, that is how most side exhaust systems are done, at least the ones I've seen.
Good Luck
2maximas
Old 03-08-2003, 09:21 PM
Banned

ok you car isnt a 1967 corvette stingray so why the lake pipes idea?...

Quick Reply: custom exhaust idea...opinions please