4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hood Scoop That Works

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 12:24 PM

Hood Scoop That Works

Where Do You Get these?? and how to install? do you have to have a new hood...Does a scoop with a short ram intake related to it push more power then a CAI that goes outside the engine bay?
I've seen this ona guy from CA in maxima.org...

All Hail The Mighty Maxima
Old 03-05-2003, 02:16 PM

Re: Hood Scoop That Works

it's not just something you can go pick up at the store and pop on....i doubt hardly anyone has an actual ram air hood
Old 03-05-2003, 02:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

if you want more air going to your CAI, then you should open up the bottom, like remove the right foglight, or create a path around the front spoiler.

The only thing I could see a hood scoop doing is perhaps help to keep the intake manifold cool, so the air/feul charge can remain a bit denser than normal. How much of an improvement that would be,

Here's a thought; the 4th gen maxima has a ram air scoop that sits on top of the right side of the radiator. Anyone notice how the 2004 max ram air scoop is much wider? It goes pretty much across the whole radiator. Buy that 6th gen part and put it on a 4th gen to help catch all the front cool air and run it to your WAI or CAI.

DW
Old 03-05-2003, 02:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Hood Scoop That Works

Originally posted by ZeRo--MaX
Where Do You Get these?? and how to install?

I have purchased a few from Kaminari including the one at the body shop being put on my Max.

do you have to have a new hood...Does a scoop with a short ram intake related to it push more power then a CAI that goes outside the engine bay?

You don't have to have a new hood... It's cheaper if you can find one though... I'd rather do the work myself and know it was done right. There's the added bonus of being unique as well.

CAI vs Ram air depends on if the RA goes directly into your intake or just blows air into your bay. If it goes into your intake... then yes.

it's not just something you can go pick up at the store and pop on....

You can get them at the store easy... but do some research and get a good one. Making it functional is a bigger deal, but it's worth it of your engine bay is set up correctly.

i doubt hardly anyone has an actual ram air hood

Heh... I'm 3 for 4... My wife doesn't like them so she won't let me put one on... not that it's too necissary with an intercooler. It would be nice though.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:43 PM
Blazin......

that could be me.

Originally posted by ZeRo--MaX
Where Do You Get these?? and how to install? do you have to have a new hood...Does a scoop with a short ram intake related to it push more power then a CAI that goes outside the engine bay?
I've seen this ona guy from CA in maxima.org...

All Hail The Mighty Maxima

I Have a FULL hood scoop molded on my max.
I used to claim it added hp , but really it doesnt add any.
It does however make the Intake ~rumble~ a bit louder and highway speeds smeem somewhat smoother.

Dont live in cali though.

Pics of Hood Scoop http://www.cardomain.com/id/mdubya