4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I Heard Tokico's Go Bad In 6K Miles? How Accurate Is That? And Why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001, 07:56 PM

I really want Koni's because of the rumors that I hear about Tokico's, but are these rumors actually true. A lot of poeple have been telling me in 6K miles they go bad. That number seems to be very definite with people, not 5K or 7K, but 6K miles? And I'm wondering what kind of daily driving exactly makes them go bad?
Old 01-11-2001, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by BenBlanco218
I really want Koni's because of the rumors that I hear about Tokico's, but are these rumors actually true. A lot of poeple have been telling me in 6K miles they go bad. That number seems to be very definite with people, not 5K or 7K, but 6K miles? And I'm wondering what kind of daily driving exactly makes them go bad?
I have a set of Suspension Techniques lowering springs with Tokico struts. I've had this set up for about 3-4 years and about 100,000 miles. I have had no problems with them. I do NOT notice sagging. The ride is not bouncey. My Maxima has a nice, firm ride. And it corners like a slot car. I have no problem recommending this combo to you, for your Maxima.

It just seems to me that most of the folks who complained about the Tokico struts also have *Eibach* springs. Maybe it's the springs that merit further scrutiny, and NOT the Tokico struts...? I don't know. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2001, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by bullseye
I have a set of Suspension Techniques lowering springs with Tokico struts. I've had this set up for about 3-4 years and about 100,000 miles. I have had no problems with them. I do NOT notice sagging. The ride is not bouncey. My Maxima has a nice, firm ride. And it corners like a slot car. I have no problem recommending this combo to you, for your Maxima.

It just seems to me that most of the folks who complained about the Tokico struts also have *Eibach* springs. Maybe it's the springs that merit further scrutiny, and NOT the Tokico struts...? I don't know. Good luck.
Thanks! I'm not degrading Tokico's or anything like that because I also heard good things to about them, and I also saw a good price on Ebay for them (starting bid $265) and I may consider getting them, but do you think my Intrax springs will feel the same and perform like your combo?
Old 01-11-2001, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by bullseye

Thanks! I'm not degrading Tokico's or anything like that because I also heard good things to about them, and I also saw a good price on Ebay for them (starting bid $265) and I may consider getting them, but do you think my Intrax springs will feel the same and perform like your combo?
I don't think so, BB. Suspension Techniques springs lowered my car 1.4". I believe Intrax springs lower a car about 2". I think your Intrax springs are stiffer than STs, too. They more than likely are, since a 2" drop makes most cars more likely to bottom out. Stiffer springs help guard against that. A 2" drop may also overwhelm your ability to adjust camber as needed. The Maxima's camber can be adjusted only about plus or minus 1 degree.
Old 01-11-2001, 09:55 PM

[/I][/QUOTE]

I don't think so, BB. Suspension Techniques springs lowered my car 1.4". I believe Intrax springs lower a car about 2". I think your Intrax springs are stiffer than STs, too. They more than likely are, since a 2" drop makes most cars more likely to bottom out. Stiffer springs help guard against that. A 2" drop may also overwhelm your ability to adjust camber as needed. The Maxima's camber can be adjusted only about plus or minus 1 degree. [/I][/QUOTE]So, my first instincts were right, I guess because of its 2" drop, the ride quality with my Intrax Springs will be much better with Koni's than Tokico's?
Old 01-11-2001, 11:35 PM

I'd go with the Konis, I think it's an expensive mistake if the Tokicos don't perform

Anyways off topic, but BenBlanco218, How did you get you rear taillight to look like that. Did you buy them and paint the tops red? I cleared mine out myself, but the clear lense I used don't have that clean, euro look.
Old 01-11-2001, 11:50 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

most of us with bad tokicos have Eibach springs.

i have tok with eibachs for about 12000+ miles now. and it's really really bad.

hard carving leading to body roll. which is not a good thing...

Old 01-11-2001, 11:51 PM

Re: I'd go with the Konis, I think it's an expensive mistake if the Tokicos don't perform

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
Anyways off topic, but BenBlanco218, How did you get you rear taillight to look like that. Did you buy them and paint the tops red? I cleared mine out myself, but the clear lense I used don't have that clean, euro look.
The Euro look was what I was going for. I cleared mine out myself too, BUT I didn't replace them with a clear lense, I just took the amber lense out. Then, I took out the factory clear lense in the reverse light to make them both match. You are one of the first to ask me that about my taillights, but yea, I just didn't use a cover lense for the bottom halves. Some say it looks ugly, but at the time when I really wanted to clear the signal, I couldn't find a nice clear lense for it, so I just didn't put one in. Right now, I'm thinking of spraypainting the housings chrome to give it a even more Euro look. Here's a closeup of how it looks, not sure if you'll still like what I did.

Closeup of tailights (not too clear of a pic...)

Old 01-12-2001, 12:05 AM

I still like them, but I think it's not as safe

When the bulbs blink, they are probably very bright and concentrated. With the lense being there, it illuminates the whole lense evenly. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can find a cool looking clear lense. I'll let you know if I find one.
Old 01-12-2001, 12:11 AM

Re: I still like them, but I think it's not as safe

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
When the bulbs blink, they are probably very bright and concentrated. With the lense being there, it illuminates the whole lense evenly. I guess I'll just have to wait until I can find a cool looking clear lense. I'll let you know if I find one.
You're completely right about it being very bright and concentrated. People have told me about bright blinkers before, so I decided to put in low-wattage Polarg (12v/21w) blinkers to decrease the brightness a little bit. But thanks, let me know when you find a good clear lense and where I can get it.
Old 01-12-2001, 02:02 AM

I got the same setup

Intrax with Tok. The car bottoms out ONLY when i am racing through the city. (potholes etc.) otherwise handling is good. I'd recommend it if price is your factor. I have heard good things about koni;s too. I'd recommend either way. I have a few thousand on the clock so i can't tell you how long it lasts. For my situation, i had to get new shocks (bent the old ones in an accident) So i didnt really have a choice. Remember good handling always costs $$$.

Old 01-12-2001, 02:08 AM

i have tokicos with H&R springs for around 10k miles...still good as new.