4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

RAM AIR OFF, will it give more power?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 02:10 PM
TSW

RAM AIR OFF, will it give more power?

RAM AIR OFF, will it give me more power?

Last night I thought of something maybe stupid or maybe not.
So I took my ram air off on 1999 MAX, and I left my air filter box only. I mean there is a filter inside but now it sucks AIR from the engine house eliminating this long squeezed ram air “hose”.

Also I took my MAX for a spin right after and I noticed more power and deeper intake sound.

Do you think it’s my imagination due to high desire to get more horses or it is true that I’m getting more power now?

OR am I at higher chance right now to get some engine problem on the long run?
Old 03-06-2003, 03:57 PM

I dont see how that could give u more power. Maybe thats kind of like a way of doing a HAI Isnt the Air Intake Temp Sensor in the ram air piping?
Old 03-06-2003, 04:14 PM
Dev

you engine is just sucking in hot air...which decreases power.

the extra sound you hear is from the resonator you disconnected.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The front scoop is NOT meant to be a ram air scoop. Sure, some air passes through. But it's not ram air. When the engine is operating and the scoop is attached, there is always negative pressure at speed. There is no way enough air can get rammed in there to cause positive pressure. I don't think you will gain or lose any power. The air flow gained or lost is very very minimal. For the record, I still have my scoop in to hold the ambient temp sensor.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:07 PM

yes, your imagining more power because of the added sound.

eric
Old 03-06-2003, 08:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know guys....think about it.

Honestly, removing all that stuff from the front was the first "mod" (if you wanna call it that) i did to my max. You are not imagining things about increase in power. It's not an extreme amount but it's there.

Detail Theory:
HAI removes the stock plastic piping and puts a big filter on the end with a midpipe. Stock is basically the same thing when you remove all the stuff TSW did. You now have a MUCH bigger opening and you're pulling in the same air an HAI would pull in and we all know that an HAI does increase performance.

Of course, I now run a Frankencar because it beats stock intake period.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:18 PM

I takes at least 15hp to "feel a difference" I don't think you gained that much. If anything im sure you just lost power. For every 10 degrees different in temp , it is 1% difference in power
Old 03-06-2003, 09:32 PM

Of course you gained power, think of the HUGE weight reduction you just accomplished
Old 03-06-2003, 09:56 PM
TSW

Question

Sorry I have a question; could you tell me what is the reason for having a filter inside the engine house like yours? I checked your pics and as most guys the aftermarket intake is under the hood, doesn’t suck hot air as well?

I would understand cold air intake that is suck air outside the engine bay.

The under the hood filter has bigger opening for air , but it’s still hot right?

I really would like to know how it works

Thanks

Originally posted by Dev
you engine is just sucking in hot air...which decreases power.

the extra sound you hear is from the resonator you disconnected.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:11 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

You are getting more power. The design of the scope is to reduce air intake noise. Reduce air intake noise is accomplished by reducing the air velocity.
Old 03-07-2003, 04:44 AM

Any increase in temp is offset by the volume of air the engine is now allowed to consume. 1MAX2NV is right, the scoop isn't put there for performance. Again, it's not ram air. The lip of the hood effectively covers the opening!! How can it be ram air? You may even get better airflow from removing the scoop. If you remove the scoop, you leave a space between the hood and the engine bay. This would allow air in; just like the scoop got some air in. But insead of the air losing velocity travelling through the plumbing. The air keeps its velocity (which isn't much anyway) and blows straight in to the engine bay. At speed air is moving through your engine bay anyway but now you have more. Air moving through the engine bay means less heat build up. Either way, the difference are so small I opted to keep the scoop just so I could have a secure place for my ambient temp sensor. Best mod for the HAI is relocating the battery to the trunk. If that 1 degree of difference bothers you that much, get a CAI. Really, it's about 1 degree (if even that) of difference by the time it reaches the throttle body. There simply isn't enough volume of cold air to make a difference. Feel the tubing after a long drive. It's hot, not cold. I wish I didn't write so much on this. It really makes no difference.

ZuM