4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rstb

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 10:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Rstb

Hi, wondering if anyone knows where i can get a rear upper strut tower bar? I have a 1996 maxima SE.
Old 03-06-2003, 11:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.stillen.com/
Old 03-06-2003, 11:40 PM
V^___^V

Re: Rstb

Originally posted by Willnyc555
Hi, wondering if anyone knows where i can get a rear upper strut tower bar? I have a 1996 maxima SE.
rear upper strut tower bar doesn't do as much as the rear sway bar, get the sway bar first...
Old 03-06-2003, 11:52 PM

Yeah, I'd say a rear strut tower bar may not out-weigh it's benefit. The RSTB doesn't functional do all that much since the trunk is pretty structurally solid. Not only would you be out some money, plus you need to cut your trunk-liner, and you'll have a harsher ride over bumps and road imperfections. Your car needs some degree of flex to absorb some energy from the bumps. With the RSTB, you are lessening the ability to absorb, instead you will feel it more...not in a dramatic way at all though.

I have a RSTB, but I were to do it over again, I don't think I'd buy it. I bought it as a deal with my front FSTB and I'm using the rear, well...cuz I bought it.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:24 AM

Re: Re: Rstb

Originally posted by Kevin Wong

The RSTB doesn't functional do all that much since the trunk is pretty structurally solid. Not only would you be out some money, plus you need to cut your trunk-liner, and you'll have a harsher ride over bumps and road imperfections. Your car needs some degree of flex to absorb some energy from the bumps. With the RSTB, you are lessening the ability to absorb, instead you will feel it more...not in a dramatic way at all though.

I have a RSTB, but I were to do it over again, I don't think I'd buy it. I bought it as a deal with my front FSTB and I'm using the rear, well...cuz I bought it.
I agree. If you've had your backseat out (the upper portion), you'll see the Max is pretty structurally sound there. I don't really notice the ride beiong harsher, though (on stock SE springs/struts). I've had my FSTB and RSTB on for over a year, more like two, and the RSTB doesn't make a whole lot of difference, unless you are really taking the car to the limit. But in my case, my tires give (Daytona HR4 225/55/16's) before my suspension should let them. I just installed the Progress RSB from Cattman Performance a few weeks ago. That transforms the car in to a new machine! It's such a drastic change, my wife finally drove it, came home, and actually told me she really noticed it and likes it. She said it scared her the first time in a turn because she was expecting the body to roll like it used to, but it didn't. If you knew my wife, you'd fully understand the compliment that is for RSB's, because she doesn't notice anything with my car (should be getting my DC clear corners today. I'll out them on and see how long it takes for her to notice ). I can't say enough about the change the RSB makes. Definitely get it before the RSTB. If I had to do it again, I'd go FSTB, RSB, then RSTB in that order. I'm looking at SFC's, but haven't heard enough people commenting on them to know how dramatic of a change they make.
Remember, RSB before RSTB!!!

Dave
Old 03-07-2003, 08:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

THX. You guys make a very good point now how about a good front strut bar? I dont wwant Stillen's i would pefer something that does not have two nut and bolts on each side. I want ones like Neuspeed or anything that is one solid bar. and does anybody know anything about the wing that mount on top of the rear window. i know custommaxima has one but theirs look like something from Ventshades or whatever that company is, for the wind deflector.Sarona has one too but its like 3 times the amount, but theirs look fiberglass..
Old 03-07-2003, 08:30 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I like my RSTB, and about ripping out the trunk liner, i dont mind because my trunk is bare.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:33 AM
V^___^V

Re: Re: Rstb

THX. You guys make a very good point now how about a good front strut bar? I dont wwant Stillen's i would pefer something that does not have two nut and bolts on each side. I want ones like Neuspeed or anything that is one solid bar. and does anybody know anything about the wing that mount on top of the rear window. i know custommaxima has one but theirs look like something from Ventshades or whatever that company is, for the wind deflector.Sarona has one too but its like 3 times the amount, but theirs look fiberglass..
most FSTB functions the same. i believe there is a group deal goin on with BOMz racing FSTB for $20 or so, so check it out... or u can also get those on ebay, no need to spend too much $$ on brand.