4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Whats a good Performance Muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 09:41 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Whats a good Performance Muffler?

I want to know what is good performance muffler? that doesn’t make sound like lawn mower. I don’t like those cars like Honda civics and accords that sound wired; Nothing like performance car. Like a tractor I have heard some max like that. I want good performance muffler with no loud noise. Thanks in advance
Old 03-11-2003, 11:57 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Re: Whats a good Performance Muffler?

Originally posted by CystumMax
I want to know what is good performance muffler? that doesn’t make sound like lawn mower. I don’t like those cars like Honda civics and accords that sound wired; Nothing like performance car. Like a tractor I have heard some max like that. I want good performance muffler with no loud noise. Thanks in advance
how about first:

1 how much cash you have to spend?

2 are you doing it yourself or taking it to someone, read: do you want direct bolt on, or is welding an option?

3. How much performance are you looking to get?

4. Do you have any other exhaust mods?
Old 03-12-2003, 12:04 AM
Dev

changing your muffler will not give any significant gains.
it is just for sound.
you might gain like 2hp if you're lucky.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:57 AM

On this subject, I was wondering if you could buy like two of those mufflers from ebay for like $50-60 bucks, and take it to an exhaust shop and have them create you a dual exchaust? It is possible for them to do, how much would something like this usually cost? Thanks.
Bob
Old 03-12-2003, 12:18 PM

Originally posted by RSA_MAX
On this subject, I was wondering if you could buy like two of those mufflers from ebay for like $50-60 bucks, and take it to an exhaust shop and have them create you a dual exchaust? It is possible for them to do, how much would something like this usually cost? Thanks.
Bob
normally, the answer would be to search on it, but we all know what's going on so.......

I think the answer is that it depends on where you live, who you go to, and how you decide to set it up. From what i've read, there have been some setups using an X-pipe, and others (like on vqpower that involve destroying the spare tire well. Then again, when i asked the local exhaust place, i was told that it really wasn't worth it, that performance gains on an NA car are nothing, that it would be a whole lot of wasted money. that seems to be the sentiments of a lot of people on the board too. The other thing you have to realize is that it wouldn't even really be a "true" dual exhaust either. So while it can be done, it's more for looks than performance.
Old 03-12-2003, 12:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I also want a new muffler... but I don't want the ricey sound AT ALL. I want to keep it as quiet as possible, with still having a nice, shiny muffler . My main concern is looks, and I am on a limited budget. Any ideas?
Old 03-12-2003, 12:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by djshawnee
I also want a new muffler... but I don't want the ricey sound AT ALL. I want to keep it as quiet as possible, with still having a nice, shiny muffler . My main concern is looks, and I am on a limited budget. Any ideas?
you'll be spending about 100 bucks for a "shiny" muffler. To name a few: Magnaflow, Borla, Greddy, Edelbrock, Flowmaster, etc

eric
Old 03-12-2003, 12:42 PM

i think that i'll wind up with a stillen muffler (cuz it's bolt-on)

or a 5th gen muffler (cuz it's got that spring-valve thing)
Old 03-12-2003, 12:45 PM

I like my borla muffler. Also the greddy i used to have was nice.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp

you'll be spending about 100 bucks for a "shiny" muffler. To name a few: Magnaflow, Borla, Greddy, Edelbrock, Flowmaster, etc

eric
but will these be quiet or loud?
Old 03-12-2003, 01:11 PM
Sports Button FTW

if you have mods and want a quiet sound or have stock and want a quiet sound the 5th gen mufflers are a pretty good muffler to get. Less restriction than stock 4th gen muffler and have a deeper more aggressive sound than stock and not ricey at all like the cheap mufflers on ebay. nor as expensive as greddy and others...i have one for sale if anyone's interested. in good condition too.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:26 PM

Re: Whats a good Performance Muffler?

Originally posted by CystumMax
I too am Planning to do this. I know its not much of a HP increase but I want a nice sound. I would suggest a Borla or something like a Hooker Aerochamber. I had one of those on my old car, an 82 Corolla with a straight pipe with no cat. It didnt sound ricey at all, actually it sounded pretty quiet at idle with just a small burble. Once you pushed it around 6k it would sound deep but not ricey. The ones they use on Hondas that sound like mopeds are the straight through ones, which pretty much defeats the purpose of a muffler. But like I said, go with a Flowmaster, Borla or Aerochamber, I'm going with the Aerochamber when my time comes... my 2 cents.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:37 PM

Re: Re: Whats a good Performance Muffler?

Originally posted by Ant96GLE

I too am Planning to do this. I know its not much of a HP increase but I want a nice sound. I would suggest a Borla or something like a Hooker Aerochamber. I had one of those on my old car, an 82 Corolla with a straight pipe with no cat. It didnt sound ricey at all, actually it sounded pretty quiet at idle with just a small burble. Once you pushed it around 6k it would sound deep but not ricey. The ones they use on Hondas that sound like mopeds are the straight through ones, which pretty much defeats the purpose of a muffler. But like I said, go with a Flowmaster, Borla or Aerochamber, I'm going with the Aerochamber when my time comes... my 2 cents.
so is something like a Borla louder than stock, but still quieter than the ricey mufflers? as i said, i want something as quiet as possible.... something that is only a little louder than stock would be alright, but only if its not ricey. i am going for the look (shiny, big tip, etc...) because mufflers don't add much HP... but the stock tip is very small. let me know your thoughts....
Old 03-12-2003, 01:50 PM

Every single one i mentioned will be loud to an extent. Depends what your definition of "loud" is. By far the loudest will be flowmasters (depending what series though) Magnaflows will be the quietest i think. Ive heard a dualie setup on a max with Mags, and it sounds nice, deep and quiet.

eric
Old 03-12-2003, 02:23 PM

which do you think would be better to do: save up and get the greddy catback or should i jus go to a muffler shop and get one made? ive heard that its only a couple hundred dollars to go to a muffler shop
Old 03-12-2003, 03:21 PM

for best performance get the Greddy or the 2001 maxima anniversary muffler.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:51 PM

for what i understand for all of your great responses. muffler is waste of money. and i dont want my maxima to sound like a lawn mower. thanks all of you for the help.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:06 PM

if magnaflow is the quietest... which magnaflow muffler would be the best to get? what can i expect to pay? will it have a big tip?
Old 03-12-2003, 04:32 PM

i think what he is looking for is a muffler without the drone. I am pretty sure that's what he means when he's talking about "noise" the quietest setup would be to use a 5th gen muffler...
Old 03-12-2003, 04:48 PM
The original VQ...

I got a muffler from ebay for 60$$. It fits real nice in the opening ,4.5 tip . And it has a nice deep tone untill like 3k and then i just hear mostly intake. I cant wait till it gets warmer so i can put my y-pipe on and then it will show improvment.
Not a great pic but , but take a look
Old 03-12-2003, 08:10 PM

Ypipe + Non chambered muffler=

1. Weedwacker.org.newmember

2. Earbleeding at WOT.

3. DroneDroneDroneDroneDroneDroneDroneDrone(annoying yet)
Old 03-12-2003, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by krbga

2. Earbleeding at WOT.

not necessarily. Drone has alot to do moreso with the muffler.

And yes, an exhaust is a waste of money. If you want quiet, yet some noise outback, get a y-pipe, b-pipe and keep your stock muffler, or just get a 5thgen muffler(which are ugly IMHO) for the best sound and performance gains.

eric
Old 03-12-2003, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp

not necessarily. Drone has alot to do moreso with the muffler.

And yes, an exhaust is a waste of money. If you want quiet, yet some noise outback, get a y-pipe, b-pipe and keep your stock muffler, or just get a 5thgen muffler(which are ugly IMHO) for the best sound and performance gains.

eric

Quite
Old 03-13-2003, 10:51 AM

Has anyone tried a dragger exhaust? My freind wants a loud exhaust on his 96 maxima. I saw one on ebay that was chamberless and claimed a hp gain of 12hp However, it's designed just for maximas. He is completely stock by the way except forthe Frankencar intake he'll be getting.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6771
Old 03-13-2003, 12:08 PM

2. Earbleeding at WOT.

I have a Y pipe, and a B pipe with a resonator, and a Borla Muffler, which is a offset/center straight through design. NO droning at any RPMs, at WOT my intake is twice as loud as the exhaust. The key is a good resonator to keep things quiet...
Old 03-13-2003, 12:36 PM

IF YOU WANT A SHINT MUFFLER BUY A TIP@!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2003, 12:43 PM

Buy a 2001 Maxima anniversary muffler. That maxima is supposed to have a performance muffler or catback.
No you're not going to see incredible gains but all of it adds up.
Old 03-13-2003, 12:49 PM
The original VQ...

2. Earbleeding at WOT.

personally i think your just a hatter and a dumba$$. My muffler doesnt do any of that , you car must be a peice of **** if it does. Im just trying to give him advice on how to get more performance without overpaying , cause not everybodys parents by them thier exhaust like your's probubly did. You prik . I just want to beat you a$$ soooo bad!!
Old 03-13-2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by waveridr85
IF YOU WANT A SHINT MUFFLER BUY A TIP@!!!!!!!!!
what the hell is "shint"?
Old 03-13-2003, 07:36 PM

what the hell is "shint"?
shiny

eric
Old 03-13-2003, 07:40 PM
The original VQ...

Everyone has a diffrent opinion. It matters how much money you got and how much you want to spend .I am on a budegt so i went universal and i dont mind the loudness cause it sounds nice and deep. If you got the money go all out .
Old 03-13-2003, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by maxspeed96CT
Everyone has a diffrent opinion. It matters how much money you got and how much you want to spend .I am on a budegt so i went universal and i dont mind the loudness cause it sounds nice and deep. If you got the money go all out .
I hear you. i could spend 500 on muffler. but i would get something else like Rims. i really dont care about mufflers anymore. i just dont like the honda ideas.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:08 PM

In hear that the apexi exhaust is pretty quiet.... is there anywhere that i can get only the muffler from the WS exhaust?