4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A new front axle?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 08:20 PM

A new front axle?!

Well ladies and gentlemen, my hard shift, and mysterious noise have been solved, ater spending the day (and sleeping at) the dealer, the Max has been diagnosed with needing a new axle up front. The dealer said that there is too much "play" in the axle, whatever that means. I dont get it, new mounts, now a new axle, and all under 40k miles? What gives? Te carax said it was clean as a whistle. I don't understand. At least I am under an extended warranty. How much would something like this cost if not I wasn't covered? This really bothers/worries me. The car was mint, or so it seemed. Now I am waiting on a axle to come in to the dealer so they can install it. ugh And to finish the day, I came home from work to find some ******* right up against my cars *** ( he was trying to clear a drveway) and managed to give me a nice nick in my bumper. The car mangaged to keep perfect bumpers for three years and in three weeks with me, they get messed up. I really don;t like those bumper guard things b/c I think they take away from the cars beauty.but then again, so do nicks made be idiots who don; know the demensions fo their own cars. Anyway, I am thinking that my car hit a pretty nasty pothole with the previous owner and that is what caused this problem. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks all,
had to vent
Old 03-13-2003, 09:35 PM

Re: A new front axle?!

I don't think a pothole would have messed up your axle. If a cv boot was torn early in your cars life and all the grease leaked out it could have definately caused your cv joints to wear out by this time. Does the car make a clicking sound? Does it disapear when going around turns?
Old 03-13-2003, 09:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

From my experience replacing 3 axles in the last 4 months, I know a pothole can cause axle failure - the jarring action of your car hitting the bumpstop repeatedly can cause breakdown in the CV Joint.

My problem, however, was a combination of being too low and hitting the bumpstops ALOT. I don't think 1 or even 5 good pothole hits would cause it.

It takes a lot of time, I imagine - but can't verify completely.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by iansw
From my experience replacing 3 axles in the last 4 months, I know a pothole can cause axle failure - the jarring action of your car hitting the bumpstop repeatedly can cause breakdown in the CV Joint.

My problem, however, was a combination of being too low and hitting the bumpstops ALOT. I don't think 1 or even 5 good pothole hits would cause it.

It takes a lot of time, I imagine - but can't verify completely.
Wow. What kind of springs are you running? You are right though, you can actually destroy an axle from hitting bumps. I think losing all the grease in the boots is a more likely culprit in a non lowered car.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by koldsimer

Wow. What kind of springs are you running? You are right though, you can actually destroy an axle from hitting bumps. I think losing all the grease in the boots is a more likely culprit in a non lowered car.
Agreed - Most likely potholes are not his problem, like I said above.

Seattle (horrible roads), alot of hp/tq, and Sprint Springs caused my problems.

I have switched to B&G springs.
Thay don't look nearly as good because of the rear sag, but at least my axles seem to be fine again.

IanS
Old 03-14-2003, 06:24 AM

Re: Re: A new front axle?!

I don't think a pothole would have messed up your axle. If a cv boot was torn early in your cars life and all the grease leaked out it could have definately caused your cv joints to wear out by this time. Does the car make a clicking sound? Does it disapear when going around turns?
My car DOES make a clicking sound, over bumps, but very similar to my accord and my friends Acura, so I thought it was normal.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:38 AM

Re: Re: Re: A new front axle?!

Originally posted by FormorAccordMan

My car DOES make a clicking sound, over bumps, but very similar to my accord and my friends Acura, so I thought it was normal.
Does the noise go away when you go around turns at all? Does it get worse in turns? I have had cars that exhibited these symptoms, and it was always worn cv joints.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: A new front axle?!

Does the noise go away when you go around turns at all? Does it get worse in turns? I have had cars that exhibited these symptoms, and it was always worn cv joints.
Once again an addition to your statements:

A clicking noise during turns is usually an outboard CV Joint.

Vibration under accelleration, especially from 45-70mph, is usually the Inboard Driver's side.

I haven't personally experienced a inboard passenger side failure, but I expect the symptoms would be similar to the driver's side.

IanS
Old 03-14-2003, 08:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A new front axle?!

Once again an addition to your statements:

A clicking noise during turns is usually an outboard CV Joint.

Vibration under accelleration, especially from 45-70mph, is usually the Inboard Driver's side.

I haven't personally experienced a inboard passenger side failure, but I expect the symptoms would be similar to the driver's side.

IanS
Good info. Did you replace your axles? If so, was it difficult on a maxima?
Old 03-14-2003, 09:01 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A new front axle?!

Good info. Did you replace your axles? If so, was it difficult on a maxima?

Yep - both sides - and now I have to do it again when I swap to a 5spd next month. But I'll be enjoying that work.

Pretty easy to do. Cotter pin - hub bolt - tie rod - then just pull it out for the Driver's side. Passenger side is the same + 3 bolts further down the shaft near the differential.

Anyone looking to buy a 1-month old Raxles Axle, either side?? (Better than OEM because of better lubricants) - let me know.

IanS
Old 03-14-2003, 09:13 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A new front axle?!

Anyone looking to buy a 1-month old Raxles Axle, either side?? (Better than OEM because of better lubricants) - let me know.

IanS

you have mail...
Old 03-14-2003, 09:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A new front axle?!

Originally posted by WizzaMax

you have mail...
Replied.