4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Transmission going Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 09:54 AM

Transmission going Bad?

Quick and to the point: As of late, every now and then, when I come to a full stop and drive off again, the transmission will rev as if it's not in gear. Like its in nuetral or something. I'll tap the shifter and It drops back into gear. What is this an indicator of?

Things to know:
Im automatic
Changed transmission fluid 2 weeks ago
placed 17 rims on at the same time.

I doubt these things have much bearing on the analysis, but didn't hurt to mention.

Thank You all for you help!
Old 03-14-2003, 10:02 AM
I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder

Re: Transmission going Bad?

check ur fluid level
Old 03-14-2003, 11:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Make sure the engine is running when you check the fluid level.

You may also have some linkage from your shifter to your tranny thats not adjusted correctly. The tap of your gear selector is what points to that.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:49 PM

How many miles do you have on the car? I was told that changing the fluid on high mile cars run the risk of just what you have described...the tranny slipping. I have 80,000 miles on my 98 SE and it has never had the transmission serviced. I called the dealer to inquire about it and they said yeah sure bring it in ($140). So I called Midas and the guy was a little hesitant to agree to service a car with that many miles that has never been done before. If you problem is due to you changing the fluid, I guess you roll the dice when you service a high milage car....
Old 03-14-2003, 01:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

make sure to have your car running and in neutral to check the trans. fluid level. not in park.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by supercobraz
How many miles do you have on the car? I was told that changing the fluid on high mile cars run the risk of just what you have described...the tranny slipping. I have 80,000 miles on my 98 SE and it has never had the transmission serviced. I called the dealer to inquire about it and they said yeah sure bring it in ($140). So I called Midas and the guy was a little hesitant to agree to service a car with that many miles that has never been done before. If you problem is due to you changing the fluid, I guess you roll the dice when you service a high milage car....
I have to disagree with you on this one. I had a tranny flush done around 92,000 miles with no problems at all.

flushing fluid, tranny cooler's etc will prolong the life of an auto tranny
D
Old 03-14-2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by dlicari

I have to disagree with you on this one. I had a tranny flush done around 92,000 miles with no problems at all.

flushing fluid, tranny cooler's etc will prolong the life of an auto tranny
D
Hey, I'm no expert, I'm just relaying what was told to me and it has been posted on here also. Like I said. It may just be rolling the dice
Old 03-14-2003, 07:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey, I'm no expert, I'm just relaying what was told to me and it has been posted on here also. Like I said. It may just be rolling the dice
UPS thats a syntoms of bad shift solenoid, i replaced my VB a few weeks ago(for free jejeje). After i did the full oil flush, my car was a little rare thing...when i was on D...and dont press the pedal to inc. the speed...my rev...drops...like neutral...and then in cold weather my tranny didnt change any gear...after my engine warm up.

Cold tranny problems(The shift valve is bad on the VB)
drops rev problems(shift solenoid is slipping)

You should look a new VB or you can check the solenoids...with Haynes manual.

read this:
Trouble Spots

Automatic transmission: The original automatic transmission (model F04) shift solenoids allowed slipping and premature wear.

consumerguide.com

you can search more of this threads...mm i think a member who nick is sebaxx had this problem too.

yohoooo my second six pack(england beer..the best!!!!)
Old 03-17-2003, 06:31 AM

DAM!T!! Sorry guys, all this good information and I wasn't even around to respond with more feed back. Thanks fellas, your responces are much appreciated. Now to business

My car is indeed a High mileage car. I'm about 300 miles shy of 108k. Supercobraz, when you say change on high mileage car is "risky" what exactly is the risk? I mean, what damage are you risking when you change the fluid? Is it fixable?

Seximagtr: I didn't get a chance to look these comments over this weekend, so I'll have to check the fluid level this evening after work. Please Lord PLEASE!! Let this be the only reason my gears are slipp'n

Maximabest: If my fluid levels turn up ok (hope they don't) I'll look into these two spots in my Haynes Manual. Are these things major Pains for a DIY mechanic?

Njmaxstld: I am guilty of power shifting the automatic on more than a few occasions, so this thought did cross my mind, but I wasn't sure. Do you think there is a "tell tale" sign which would indicate whether or not this is a transmission or Shifter related problem?
Old 03-17-2003, 06:46 AM

Capitone, like I said Midas said there is a risk of the tranny maybe slipping after you change the fluids at high miles. I really don't know anymore to it then that or whether it's a fixable problem that
may occur. Right now I'm at 80,200 miles and I'm about to get mine done for the first time this weekend and I'm a little nervous after hearing that. I wish I could tell you something better. My advice would be to call or ask several shops or mechanics about it first and get different opinions. I'm going to call a couple more places myself.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:31 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by Capitone

Njmaxstld: I am guilty of power shifting the automatic on more than a few occasions, so this thought did cross my mind, but I wasn't sure. Do you think there is a "tell tale" sign which would indicate whether or not this is a transmission or Shifter related problem?
The Maxima isn't designed to be a race car, it's a family oriented sport sedan. Power shifting your tranny is a so from your post I'd conclude your tranny is showing signs of failure.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

The Maxima isn't designed to be a race car, it's a family oriented sport sedan. Power shifting your tranny is a so from your post I'd conclude your tranny is showing signs of failure.
I fail to see how "manually shifting the auto" is that bad for a car. All you are doing when you shift that lever is telling the tranny ECU to perform a upshift / downshift. How is that much different that keeping it in D at full-throttle and the tranny banging upshifts at the redline?
Old 03-17-2003, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Ouch....what a sober'n comment. I hope this does not turn out to be the case. How much does it cost for tranny work?
Old 03-18-2003, 11:10 AM

Good News! Looks like I was low on Tranny fluid. When I made the change, I assumed that the container of fluid in which I had was the amount needed for transmission. After all that work, loosing and tightening back all those dam screws, I failed to check my fluid level when done. I consider my self lucky, and thank God that this was the only problem.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:13 AM

Good News! Looks like I was low on Tranny fluid. When I made the change, I assumed that the container of fluid in which I had was the amount needed for transmission. After all that work, loosing and tightening back all those dam screws, I failed to check my fluid level when done. I consider my self lucky, and thank God that this was the only problem.
As my Drill Instructor in Bootcamp would say, "Oh real freakin good there Capitone" Good for you. I'll find out this weekend when I get mine changed. I'm not even trying to do it myself.
Old 03-18-2003, 11:31 AM

As my Drill Instructor in Bootcamp would say, "Oh real freakin good there Capitone" Good for you. I'll find out this weekend when I get mine changed. I'm not even trying to do it myself.
Yes indeed a "frik'n Brain Child I am" A comment like that can only be Marine Corps. Where you stationed?
Old 03-18-2003, 11:44 AM

You know it Devil Dog. I was in from 90-94. Stationed mostly at Camp Lejuene. I went of two Med Floats also. The name SuperCobra should have given me away....
Old 03-18-2003, 12:05 PM

You know it Devil Dog. I was in from 90-94. Stationed mostly at Camp Lejuene. I went of two Med Floats also. The name SuperCobra should have given me away....
90-94?? Man.....salty. The name didn't really give you away....it was the Drill instructor bit.....few people word things that way!! I served 96-2000.....feel a little old? All four years in Lejeune!!
Old 03-18-2003, 12:09 PM

Man don't mention me feeling old. I was with 2nd Landing Support Battalion in French Creek...I'm an old 0481..the ones with the Red Patch
Old 03-18-2003, 12:14 PM

Man don't mention me feeling old. I was with 2nd Landing Support Battalion in French Creek...I'm an old 0481..the ones with the Red Patch
Sweet Lord! You wouldn't happen to be that guy who grew up with Smedley Butler would you? ......my bad. I just couldn't resist. These days, ain't nothing wrong with being "old corps".
Old 03-18-2003, 12:20 PM

OK that's enough about the old stuff. You only as old as you feel. And hey, all my lady friends are at least 8 to 10 years younger then me...How's that for old.... OH, and they love my MAX!!!
Old 03-18-2003, 12:28 PM

OK that's enough about the old stuff. You only as old as you feel. And hey, all my lady friends are at least 8 to 10 years younger then me...How's that for old.... OH, and they love my MAX!!!
Playa! Playa!
Old 03-18-2003, 03:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Tranny problem

I have to agree with you. I have a 96 GLE with 65k on it. I was having a slight problem with the tranny. It too seemed like it was in neutral when it tried to shift into 2nd or 3rd. I brought it to the dealer who said the tranny fluid had to be flushed. I got it back and it's worse than before. Now they say it may need a complete rebuild - $1800!!!! A rebuild with 65k?? I'm not happy!

Old 03-19-2003, 05:14 AM

See, now you guys are making me really nervous about getting my tranny serviced..It's a crap shoot I tell ya and I'm going to crap out...
Old 03-19-2003, 05:57 AM

Re: Re: Tranny problem

Originally posted by Koni
I have to agree with you. I have a 96 GLE with 65k on it. I was having a slight problem with the tranny. It too seemed like it was in neutral when it tried to shift into 2nd or 3rd. I brought it to the dealer who said the tranny fluid had to be flushed. I got it back and it's worse than before. Now they say it may need a complete rebuild - $1800!!!! A rebuild with 65k?? I'm not happy!

Well here I am at 108k and having no problems other than the one in which I created myself. My experience w/mechanics is that its not a very far strecth to say alot of them Do Not know what there talking about when it comes to our cars. Have you checked YOUR fluid level?
Old 03-19-2003, 07:07 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Tranny problem

Good idea about checking the fluid myself. Knowing the dealership they probably flushed the fluid and never replaced it!

Well here I am at 108k and having no problems other than the one in which I created myself. My experience w/mechanics is that its not a very far strecth to say alot of them Do Not know what there talking about when it comes to our cars. Have you checked YOUR fluid level?