4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Finally drove a 5-speed 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 07:30 PM
T2CTeamShift

Originally posted by max99
Theres a lot of auto haters on here. They talk just as much crap about automatics as they do with Hondas or any other cars. Its pretty pathetic.
To all those haters, Let me get a Torque Converter, then well see who is faster!!! Hahahahahhahaaaaaahahahahah

Old 03-23-2003, 07:37 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally posted by T2CTeamShift

To all those haters, Let me get a Torque Converter, then well see who is faster!!! Hahahahahhahaaaaaahahahahah
speaking of that what does a TC do, and how much of a drop in 1/4 does it give?
Old 03-23-2003, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by T2CTeamShift

your TC is as good to you as a 5spd with a ACT and a lightened flywheel..

so you get a TQ Converter.. and the 5spd owner gets ACT and flywheel..

now we are back at stage 1

you are slower again
Old 03-23-2003, 11:49 PM

Don't push your luck. Trash talkin doesn't get yu anywhere. wanna race for $$$$$.(no chump change)

Originally posted by luckee2bhere

ahhhh! how can you consider hitting the gas as hard as you can fun?

ha.lets start up another subject i have a problem with...NASCAR whaaaaaaaaaaahoooooooooo let me drive around a circle faster than the guy next to me. NASCAR=dumba$$es to me....risk your life for that bullsh!t...I dont think so.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:35 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

drove 2 auto maximas before finally getting the 5 speed
only regret i have is the years i wasted driving automatics.
Old 03-24-2003, 04:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey nice pics ians. I have stuff similar to that posted on my website. My whole office was full of 5speed stuff before my swap.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:48 AM

Every car I've owned in my 26 years has been a manual, including my 99SE Max. I have a question for those of you who have converted. Why? I respect the fact that you did it. But its a huge job, instead why not just sell your auto max, and buy a 5spd max? You get the comfort of have everything being bulletproof from the factory. no bugs to work out. And 5spd are cheaper to buy, new or used than an auto, much of the time dealers can't get rid of a 5spd car sitting on their lot. Are 5spd Maximas that tough to find? I cant imagine the time, hassle and expense of the project. But don't get me wrong, I admire your guys spirit. There is no way to beat the fun to drive factor of a stick shift.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:18 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Originally posted by cefiro a32
Don't push your luck. Trash talkin doesn't get yu anywhere. wanna race for $$$$$.(no chump change)

I've raced my friend's G35 sedan (auto) on three occassions at the track. I know how they run because I've got timeslips and I've personally run the car at the track. Unlike you, I'm not about the Fast & Furious and race on the street. I take it to the track where I get honest to God track data. Not this BS street racing crap.

My friend's bonestock G35 with nothing removed and a 260lb driver is running 14.8-14.9@94-95mph. That's at 1100' above sea level too. Pretty much I get him off the line by .1-.2 seconds and I'll SLOWLY pull him in the topend. Usually I'm .2-.3 seconds quicker and 1-2mph faster than him on average. With my recently installed JWT ECU, I expect that I'll probably be about .5 second quicker and 4-5mph faster than him now.

Your modification list is pretty impressive, but seeing that you have no track data to back up your car's performance, I suggest you just sit back and be quiet instead of bragging about how fast your car is. It sounds to me that you've never been to the track seeing that you don't have any reference to ET/MPH. If this is true, you'll be in for a big surprise because you'll quickly learn that your car isn't as fast as you think nor are you as good of a driver as you believe. It takes practice.

BSwithTF lives near me and we've raced at the track together. He owns a 96 GXE auto with the VB, MEVI, intake, full exhaust, Y-pipe, JWT ECU, and UDP. He runs 14.9s@92mph. He'll be the first to admit that he doesn't have the topend to outrun the G35. I don't see how you're heavier I30 would be any different.

Dave
Old 03-24-2003, 08:20 AM
Administrator

Originally posted by Raw_Toast
Every car I've owned in my 26 years has been a manual, including my 99SE Max. I have a question for those of you who have converted. Why? I respect the fact that you did it. But its a huge job, instead why not just sell your auto max, and buy a 5spd max? You get the comfort of have everything being bulletproof from the factory. no bugs to work out. And 5spd are cheaper to buy, new or used than an auto, much of the time dealers can't get rid of a 5spd car sitting on their lot. Are 5spd Maximas that tough to find? I cant imagine the time, hassle and expense of the project. But don't get me wrong, I admire your guys spirit. There is no way to beat the fun to drive factor of a stick shift.
believe it or not.. its much easier to convert than to go find a 5spd. Plus for people like ian who have their cars modded the way they like.. not only are you attached to the car and you know it. YOu have to spend time taking the mods out and then putting them in a new car
Old 03-24-2003, 09:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax

believe it or not.. its much easier to convert than to go find a 5spd. Plus for people like ian who have their cars modded the way they like.. not only are you attached to the car and you know it. YOu have to spend time taking the mods out and then putting them in a new car

No Doubt.

There's NO WAY I'm moving all my mods to another car at this point - much more work than doing the 5spd conversion in the first place. (like Sprint said)

And at least in my area, the 5spds go for $2000-$2500 more than the Autos, because they are rare, and the dealers know it. There's a 98 SE MT up the street with 48,000 miles on it - they want 17,999 for it!!! (Blue book is somewhere around 12k, I believe). There's a 99 Auto with less miles and similar options (Except this car has leather) on the same lot for $14,999.

No thanks, I'm doing my conversion for $1k, and I'm excited for the experience anyway - finding and working out the "bugs" is fun anyway.

(Was helping a friend shop for cars this weekend)
Old 03-24-2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by Raw_Toast
My feelings, exactly - and in the 30 years since I got my driver's licence I've never owned an automatic.

I learned on a '64 1200cc VW Beetle (no heater fan, no fuel gauge, manual choke - as per factory spec - ) 1st gear was good for a screaming 12MPH at redline...
Old 03-24-2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Maxima95Tuner

Jesus Christ... Just to let you know, Ive put in so many ****ing applications for jobs, you wouldnt believe it. Nobody is hiring. I try and try and try and try and cant find anything. Im just ****ed.
I feel you.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by iansw
There's a 98 SE MT up the street with 48,000 miles on it - they want 17,999 for it!!!
i'd let my 99 SE-L 5 speed 38K for that much in a new york minute!
Old 03-24-2003, 09:49 PM

Originally posted by cefiro a32

if you want to be a dumbass...
when i get your mods...ill race for as much $$$$ you want, all you have to do is drive to alabama...your auto wont beat me cali boy...100 shot eh??? thats not exactly a fair race at the moment.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:37 AM

Re: Finally drove a 5-speed 4th gen

Originally posted by Kevin
My *GAWD* its fun!!!!

I actually learned how to drive manual on this car.
To those who always debate about what to get, think of it this way, if you're any type of auto enthusiast, then don't think twice go with the manual. More control, more power, more fun!!!
You know I'm down, why you still kickin' me?
Old 03-25-2003, 07:16 AM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by 99Maxima5sp

best of both?! Theres nothing good about an auto!

lmao, the only thing auto is good for is things that cause accidents....talking on cellphone, eating, getting head....

eric