4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I need some advice on lowering my car..

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 03:41 PM

I need some advice on lowering my car..

Hey I have a '97 SE and am looking to lower it. I would have searched but you cant but im not complaining, the site has been much faster. Anyways, i need some advice on what i need. I have no clue about any of this. I'm just looking to get rid of the 4X4 look and to get rid of much of the gap between tire and wheelwell. A guy at my school is selling "Tokico Gas shocks" off of his max. Will these be all i need to do what i need to do? Thanks for the help...
Old 03-16-2003, 03:56 PM
My heroine

Re: I need some advice on lowering my car..

Originally posted by Maximus88
Hey I have a '97 SE and am looking to lower it. I would have searched but you cant but im not complaining, the site has been much faster. Anyways, i need some advice on what i need. I have no clue about any of this. I'm just looking to get rid of the 4X4 look and to get rid of much of the gap between tire and wheelwell. A guy at my school is selling "Tokico Gas shocks" off of his max. Will these be all i need to do what i need to do? Thanks for the help...
most of your questions should be answered here

suspension faq (should be sticky somewhere)
Old 03-16-2003, 03:57 PM

You need both aftermarket springs and shocks/struts. It depends on how much you want to spend. I don't know if you'll need a camber kit or not...I need to know that also, but the cheapest way to lower your car is to get springs and shocks, or to cut your springs (don't know if it'll work for the Max, I don't recommend it anyways). See how much he's selling it for, see if it fits your Max, and how used it is, then buy some springs and install them.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:06 PM

Originally posted by Juki5536
You need both aftermarket springs and shocks/struts. It depends on how much you want to spend. I don't know if you'll need a camber kit or not...I need to know that also, but the cheapest way to lower your car is to get springs and shocks, or to cut your springs (don't know if it'll work for the Max, I don't recommend it anyways). See how much he's selling it for, see if it fits your Max, and how used it is, then buy some springs and install them.
he said $150. he showed them to me... hes selling two big ones <i assume for front wheels> and two smaller ones <back wheels?>. they are blue and both sets say tokico gas shocks.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:26 PM
Dev

he said $150. he showed them to me... hes selling two big ones <i assume for front wheels> and two smaller ones <back wheels?>. they are blue and both sets say tokico gas shocks.
those will not lower the car...they are struts/shocks

springs will lower the car, and shocks will dampen the ride.

tokico blues are stock replacements, not meant for lowering, you want to get either kyb agx, koni, or tokico illumina's to pair up with a set of springs.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Dev

those will not lower the car...they are struts/shocks

springs will lower the car, and shocks will dampen the ride.

tokico blues are stock replacements, not meant for lowering, you want to get either kyb agx, koni, or tokico illumina's to pair up with a set of springs.
so are the tokico blues worthless or should i purchase them along springs?
Old 03-16-2003, 08:15 PM

so are the tokico blues worthless or should i purchase them along springs?
You need to figure out how much drop you want and what kind of ride you like. From what I know the Tokicos are good. I have H+R springs and they are an excellent compromise of ride quality and handling.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I need some advice on lowering my car..

Since you said in your title of the thread . "I need advice on lowering my car..."

I would get sprint springs and KYB AGX. Thats what I got. H&Rs dont drop you car that much.

Old 03-17-2003, 08:15 PM

thanks guys