4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Spring Question for all NYC owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 09:32 AM

Spring Question for all NYC owners

Hey everyone,

I just got my 97 GLE 4 months ago and my struts are blown.. go figure. It has 33,000 miles on it so I want to go with a good set up that'll last. I've made up my mind on KYB AGX's for the struts, but I'm still undecided on springs. My problem is for all you NYC people, you know how bad the roads are here, Belt Parkway, Grand Central, Cross Bronx, BQE and lets not forget the FDR I drive through these on a daily basis and they're horrible. What kind of springs do you guys here in NYC have? Obviously I'm not gonna go with sprints and have my axles replaced every 2 months. I've narrowed it down to either Eibachs or H & R's, what do you NYC guys recommend?
Old 03-17-2003, 09:39 AM
KDLMax

Re: Spring Question for all NYC owners

Originally posted by Ant96GLE
Hey everyone,

I just got my 97 GLE 4 months ago and my struts are blown.. go figure. It has 33,000 miles on it so I want to go with a good set up that'll last. I've made up my mind on KYB AGX's for the struts, but I'm still undecided on springs. My problem is for all you NYC people, you know how bad the roads are here, Belt Parkway, Grand Central, Cross Bronx, BQE and lets not forget the FDR I drive through these on a daily basis and they're horrible. What kind of springs do you guys here in NYC have? Obviously I'm not gonna go with sprints and have my axles replaced every 2 months. I've narrowed it down to either Eibachs or H & R's, what do you NYC guys recommend?
H&R'S!

Old 03-17-2003, 10:13 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Couple the AGX's with stock SE springs, get a rear sway bar, front strut tower brace. Run the 16" SE wheels, set the AGX's up on 2 front and 3 rear.

You can tare up any NYC road with that setup and not worry about anything.

I don't think I'm gonna lower my car again this spring, I just love the way it rides set up this way.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Couple the AGX's with stock SE springs, get a rear sway bar, front strut tower brace. Run the 16" SE wheels, set the AGX's up on 2 front and 3 rear.

You can tare up any NYC road with that setup and not worry about anything.

I don't think I'm gonna lower my car again this spring, I just love the way it rides set up this way.
I have Kyb AGX's (settings :2 front /2 rear) with Maxspeed springs (1.5 drop), Cattman Rear Swaybar, FSB and stock GLE wheels. The Maxima has a somewhat stiff ride from the getgo. Pretty good for stock. Lowering 1.5 inches made it that much rougher on the NYC streets but the soft setting on the KYB's do the trick nicely. i initially set the shocks and struts at the 7/7 setting and almost puked from the nausia. Go softer and you'll do fine.

I recommend wrapping your springs to do away with the spring squeeking noise.