4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help! Do I have any business removing the intake manifold collector?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 12:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Help! Do I have any business removing the intake manifold collector?

I think I saw a few months ago someone else did this absolutely genius mistake, but of course I forgot about it until I did it. I decided to clean the throttle body and possibly the IACV-AAC valve. I removed the intake with no problem. However, once I was actually in the cleaning process, the little red tube shot off the intake cleaner can and (I'm 90% sure) past the throttle body. OK, now that you've quit laughing, what do I do? I say 90% because it's theoretically possible that it shot off somewhere else in the engine bay, but I can't find it. I can't actually see it in the collector. I've removed the IACV-AAC valve to see if I could see better, but no.

Keep in mind that this is the most in depth thing I've done with my engine other than changing the oil. I haven't had any difficulty removing what I have so far, but is it easy to mess something up if I remove the intake collector to get the tube? Is it absolutely necessary to replace the collector gasket? Should I replace anything else while I'm at it? Thanks for the help.
Old 03-17-2003, 01:52 PM

Re: Help! Do I have any business removing the intake manifold collector?

Try a wad of duct tape on a coat hanger, but wrap it all the way up the hanger, sticky side out, so you don't lose it, too.
Old 03-17-2003, 06:38 PM

Problem solved! Thanks a lot, timmax. Excellent idea. I was actually in the process of removing everything around the collector to remove it when I read your response. I had even gone to the dealer to get a new gasket for it. Although I couldn't get the tube with the hanger/duct tape, it got me looking into the hole for the IACV-AAC a lot harder. I was finally able to barely see it with the help of a mirror. My dad had some old orthoscopic surgery tools that he used to sell lying around. One was basically like needle-nosed pliers, but a foot and a half long. That did the trick, at least after trying for about 15 minutes. I was very glad to not have to remove everything, thanks a lot.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:39 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I say we chalk this experience up to the "**** happens" clause.

Glad you could solve the problem before having to resort to yanking the manifold.

Dave
Old 03-17-2003, 08:19 PM

Re: Help! Do I have any business removing the intake manifold collector?

Originally posted by bhmax
I think I saw a few months ago someone else did this absolutely genius mistake, but of course I forgot about it until I did it. I decided to clean the throttle body and possibly the IACV-AAC valve. I removed the intake with no problem. However, once I was actually in the cleaning process, the little red tube shot off the intake cleaner can and (I'm 90% sure) past the throttle body. OK, now that you've quit laughing, what do I do? I say 90% because it's theoretically possible that it shot off somewhere else in the engine bay, but I can't find it. I can't actually see it in the collector. I've removed the IACV-AAC valve to see if I could see better, but no.

Keep in mind that this is the most in depth thing I've done with my engine other than changing the oil. I haven't had any difficulty removing what I have so far, but is it easy to mess something up if I remove the intake collector to get the tube? Is it absolutely necessary to replace the collector gasket? Should I replace anything else while I'm at it? Thanks for the help.
With all the stuff happening (War and thing) , you have managed to make me laugh . Thank you sooo much . I am sorry, but I am glad you have solved your problem. Really thank you for making my evening.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:42 PM
Conecarver

Re: Re: Help! Do I have any business removing the intake manifold collector?

Originally posted by maxdis1

With all the stuff happening (War and thing) , you have managed to make me laugh . Thank you sooo much . I am sorry, but I am glad you have solved your problem. Really thank you for making my evening.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:11 PM

Glad to cause some laughs! Hopefully, though, not too often...