4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

95 Max wont run/start until CEL comes on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 12:47 PM

95 Max wont run/start until CEL comes on?

Ok i have a 95 GLE and it has had this problem for a while now, but its starting to really get on my nerves. To start the car I have to turn the key... wait 10 seconds for the Check Engine Light to come on and then turn it over. IF i turn it over before this it will try to start but stutter and fail, like its not getting gas or just turn over and over. Once CEL has come on, starting is easy... but car idles rough for 10 - 30 seconds ~ 500 - 700 rpms. Eventually smooths out @ 7-800. I reset ECU about 300 miles ago after getting oil change and cleaning TB. Probably will reset ECU again soon as i am getting a much needed 90000 tune up (new plugs, K&N filter or CAI, tranny flush).

Any suggestions?

thanks
bg
Old 03-18-2003, 11:56 AM

bump - No one has this problem and no one knows anything to check or anything !

bg
Old 03-24-2003, 07:20 AM

i thought this place was all aboput helping each other out!

Any thoughts - suggestions?

bg
Old 03-24-2003, 07:28 AM

Why dont you pull the codes to see why the CEL is lighting up. Sounds like a bad sensor is causing the CEL and putting the engine into limp mode, hence the rough idle at start up.
Old 03-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by burrll_gee
i thought this place was all aboput helping each other out!

Any thoughts - suggestions?

bg
My car does the exact same ting not all the time but like 4 or 5 times a week in the morning only. I just changed plugs and cone filter, runs much better but still not 100%, i ran the codes for my computer and i need left and right heated O2 sensors, and a knock sensor. When it runs rough, does the engine make a weird clicking noise? mine does and i hope it is just the Knock sensor. I would check your computer codes, its real easy.
Old 03-24-2003, 08:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Try cleaning your throttle body.
Old 03-24-2003, 12:06 PM

ok maybe i didnt explain clearly enough.

No codes! I get 0505 which is good.

The CEL comes on in every 95 maxima at startup(unless you start before it comes on). Mine is not only doing it in morning but every time engine is "cool" or has sat for 1 hour or more.

Im changing plugs and getting K&N panel filter this week(hopefully).

The engine "stumbles" while starting... it may even go dead. But if i wait for CEL to come on before turning it over, its fine? Idle jumps to 1100 then drops to 500 and bounces between 600 and 800 until i put in gear.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:02 AM

UPDATE

I have replaced the starter, Had a 90,000 tune up -( new fuel filter, new platinum plugs, new air filer panel) purchased a new battery, had a ndew Key cut and recently installed a CAI since this was happening, and its gotten better. The sparkplugs and key were the biggest help !

I am guessing there are some contacts in the ignition that the old key wasnt making firmly. But that has since changed, now most of the time i can just jump right in and start, in the morning i still usually have to wait until CEL comes on before i can start though.

Its mostly occurring when its hot outside, hardly ever when its cool.

And sometimes it takes 2 or 3 attempts of turning the key on(cel comes on) and turning over failing to start(catch) and switchnig off and back on. Stealership tried to sell me a new ignition switch with no garantee it would stop problem. oh well i guess its somethign i will have to live with.

bg
Old 08-07-2003, 07:58 PM

Does this always happen only when the car sits there for a while. You might not be getting enough fuel because I had the same problem. So you might need a new fuel pump regulator which I doubt... I recommend going to Pep Boys first and buying a Fuel Relay for $8-9 and your problem hopefully will go away.
Old 08-07-2003, 11:03 PM
Sports Button FTW

believe it or not u r lucky that you have a CEL light so u can actually determine the problem without paying someone to find out for u. Diagnose the CEL code, see what it says and let us know. Most people here have seen almost ever code ever brought up so there shouldnt be any surprises but normally when there's a rough idle, it can be spark plugs, dirty throttle, etc....
Old 08-08-2003, 05:33 PM

It can be a number of things, but if you don't want to spend money on a diag test, might as well start with the cheaper stuff first. My two cents.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:59 PM

Re: 95 Max wont run/start until CEL comes on?

Check the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB's) for 95.
I'm pretty sure there is an ignition switch TSB where one of the symptoms was exactly what you have for a problem.

FYI, My 95 was doing weird stuff until I found all of the ground connections associated with the ECU, and cleaned up their connections.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:35 AM

Well the rough idle is gone, it gives code 0050 - good? and Im interested to know wehre the fuel relay is stored.
And i will be checking TSB today.
UPDATE: i found this TSB in the FAQ 96-032 APR 96 Engine Cranks, But Won't Start Or Is Hard To Start
Is there anyway to get more detail on this tsb?

I noticed today that there is a click noise behind the gauges/ in the dash right before the CEL comes on when starting to crank. if i try to crank before this noise and cel come on, it just turns over and over and over - but since the CAI it occasionally starts (before CEL) and stumbles for 1-3 seconds then idles up to 700rpm. strange?
Old 08-15-2003, 08:22 AM

delay

My 95 has a brief delay...
I put the key in, turn it to run, then you can hear the fuel pump priming the lines, then it shuts off, then the car will start ALWAYS.

I can try starting it imediately... put the key in and turn it all the way very quickly, but it will not turn over even.

If I wait for 1-2 seconds, it will turn over and usually catch.

If I wait for 3 seconds it has always started for me.

This is just my experience with my 95GXE.
I can hear the fuel pump priming when you first turn the key to the on position. Though I have never waited "10" seconds!!

So likely my 2 cents is just bable....

Good luck to you!

dave h.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:43 PM

Re: delay

My 95 GXE has NEVER had a delay starting(is at 138k miles) and I consider this VERY abnormal. I suspect you both have electrical grounding issues or funky ignition switch connections......

Good luck finding them!

Originally posted by dave harms
My 95 has a brief delay...
I put the key in, turn it to run, then you can hear the fuel pump priming the lines, then it shuts off, then the car will start ALWAYS.

I can try starting it imediately... put the key in and turn it all the way very quickly, but it will not turn over even.

If I wait for 1-2 seconds, it will turn over and usually catch.

If I wait for 3 seconds it has always started for me.

This is just my experience with my 95GXE.
I can hear the fuel pump priming when you first turn the key to the on position. Though I have never waited "10" seconds!!

So likely my 2 cents is just bable....

Good luck to you!

dave h.
Old 08-18-2003, 02:18 PM

im bettin on ignition since the new key made all the starting issues go away for 3- 4 days - basically until key wore down some .... anyway im learning to live with it.

I suppose the click noise i hear is the relay to the fuel pump? because there is a whining noise(like a fluid pump) shortly after for 2 - 10 seconds. After that sound it usually takes 2 tries to get her started, first one usually just turns over and over, then i release after 2 -3 seconds wait a second or 2 and hit it again and it usually cranks, sometimes it takes holding it for 5 - 10 seconds(scary afraid to burn up new starter) but it eventually cranks.

i need a G35... and 5 million bucks ... and while im dreaming id like a few ponies(HP?) too
Old 08-19-2003, 03:48 AM

Thanks for clarifying what you mean by ponies...

I'm wondering if you could spray some electronic contact cleaner in the ignition? It's called TV tuner cleaner at Radio Shack.
It could just be your ignition switch contacts are dirty. Spraying some cleaner in the keyhole and working the switch a few times might help. If it was my car I'd unhook the battery, spray a ton of that stuff in, insert the key and simulate starting the car about 10 times.

I bet that'll do the trick.

Oh yeah, I second the idea on the 5 million bucks.
I could live in Tahiti where you don't need any ponies.....

Originally posted by burrll_gee
im bettin on ignition since the new key made all the starting issues go away for 3- 4 days - basically until key wore down some .... anyway im learning to live with it.

I suppose the click noise i hear is the relay to the fuel pump? because there is a whining noise(like a fluid pump) shortly after for 2 - 10 seconds. After that sound it usually takes 2 tries to get her started, first one usually just turns over and over, then i release after 2 -3 seconds wait a second or 2 and hit it again and it usually cranks, sometimes it takes holding it for 5 - 10 seconds(scary afraid to burn up new starter) but it eventually cranks.

i need a G35... and 5 million bucks ... and while im dreaming id like a few ponies(HP?) too